How many illogical JW beliefs did you choke down for years?

by james_woods 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• james_woods
    james_woods

This was inspired by that thread Marvin did on the "ECTOPLASM".

In something of a confession - I actually gave that hour public talk on this subject. More than once. And it was very popular with the JWs.

I did not believe a word of it - even at the time. Did not believe in the "demons" either - with or without the slime.

It got me to thinking - how much of this did a small back room of your mind reject? Mine worked on me from the time I was dragged into this religion as an 11 or 12 year old kid.

The first and most obvious was the 7,000 year "creative day". Impossible for even a kid, if you were a top of the class science student as I was.

Another one was evolution - even if I still held on to god-belief, it was pretty obvious that selection and development of the species happened.

Another was the whole "paradise earth" scenario - I knew the Sun could not last forever, so the planet earth could not last forever. I knew that many species simply canot exist as vegans, and that this vision was silly. I also did not believe it would come in my lifetime - even before the 1975 fiasco - which I also did not believe.

I did not believe that the human heart was a second brain controlling your sex emotions.

I have to admit that I just sat there and suppressed all this (and more) just to get along with them. Just like a little kid who had figured out years ago that "Santa Claus" was your dad but still went along with the game to get presents. This was long before I actually did the research and learned about the fraud that it all really was - these were just everyday teachings that they had which I had to sub-consciously reject out of logic.

I think a lot of witnesses today are still doing this - pretending to believe the patently unbelievable just to get along and get the group-approval presents.

Anybody else look back on the JW existence with these kind of subliminal doubts and belief rejections?

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Loads in the Revelation book. I never for a minute believed that the trumpet blasts signified some random assemblies in the 1920s.

• Honesty
    Honesty

How many illogical JW beliefs did you choke down for years?

All of them.

Then I woke up.

• Star tiger
    Star tiger

Greetings,

I never really believed any of their crap that they pedaled even as a six year old so much of their shit has hurt me mentally and emotionally, the whole belief system that we inherited is refuse and should be totally discarded, let's hope the wild beast takes the tower down, they are a bunch of C**t's, the old sad men should be accountable for all the death's they've caused during the years with the blood issue and medical opinions that were wrong!!!!

I wish that the secular authorities will move on them soon and give them what they want OBLIVION!!!

Best Regards,

Star Tiger

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I recall two specific pieces of counsel from the WT magazine that didn't pass the smell test.

(1) WT's blanket condemnation of rap music.

(2) WT's doctrine that married people can be guilty of sexual uncleanness with one another.

I don't like rap music, and I was single at the time, so I didn't really have a horse in the race, so to speak, but I could find ZERO Biblical support for these doctrines.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

This really remains one of the very few things I still feel guilt over in reference to my years in the JW world.

I should have stood up and said - this doesn't make sense, and I don't believe it.

Well, at least I did on the idiotic "human heart is a brain" doctrine - but only after using my skills to build the fiberglass human heart and brain for the district assembly.

The elder I complained to about it said that it was obviously true because your heart beats faster during sex.

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

More than I care to admit...

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Armageddon, and their literal interpretation of the flood story. Those were the two biggest for me. But thinking deeply about those two issues is what eventually got me thinking.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

That I will never die.

That the Governing Body are actively being directed by holy spirit.

That the entire world was covered by water 4,000 years ago and the majority of life forms have evolved since then.

• DeeDubs
    DeeDubs

The whoe reason behind Birthdays.... Who cares if some dude got beheaded....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit