Should we be partakers of the Memorial of Christ death??

by wolfman85 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• wolfman85
  • wolfman85
  • J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

if you believe in some of the tale, why not...

• Essan
    Essan

We can't see your post, but my answer would be:

What does the Bible say?

The Bible speaks of all Christians partaking. Who is the Society to say different?

So who do you obey, them or the Bible? Galatians 1:8

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

Seeing as Jesus was being followed around by the thousands, it would seem he had more than just the 12 followers. Acts 1:15 indicated he had at least 120, but they weren't invited to the "last supper". I don't see anywhere in Scripture where every Christian is supposed to partake of the emblems. Paul talks about taking the "meal" without making a distinction, but he also talks of being transformed and going to heaven without distinction, so the churches paint all Christians with the same brush as taking communion and going to heaven.

Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." Peter speaks of new heavens and a new earth (2Pet 2:13). The "sacred secret" (1Cor 15:51; "mystery" in most translations) was a new concept that Jews had never been offered. They never drank wine or ate bread. Nowhere in the OT is going to heaven ever mentioned, which is why there is also no communion.

While the churches have no reason to assume all Christians must partake of communion, JWs have no reason to insist people who aren't partaking of communion must attend. They claim failure to sit in a chair and listen to them drone on, while people pass around a plate and glass for no reason whatsoever, is to snub Jesus. Jesus didn't invite anyone who didn't partake, so - once again - the Society is telling us if we don't obey them, we're disrespecting God and Christ. This is just another one of their power grabs and they love to see that big number (18 million people last year, IIRC) jumping when they say "jump".

• Essan
    Essan

Wontleave, the "last supper" was prior to his death. It was an instruction for what they were to teach the disciples to do after he was gone, when the memorial and it's emblems would actually have significance. There is no indication whatsoever that the "meal" was only to be taken by some Christians, as you acknowledge, just as there is no indication whatsoever that there is any other hope for Christians but the heavenly one.

One faith, one hope, one baptism. The anointing was for all Christians. The heavenly hope was for all Christains. The partaking of the emblems was for all Christians. There is not the slightest scriptural indication otherwise. Any 'earthly hope', was for those prior to Christ's death. But to be a Christian is to share the heavenly hope. The Bible couldn't be more clear on that.

So you're either a Christian and going to heaven, or not - as in not a Christian at all. There isn't an option B "Oh, I'd like to have what was on the breakfast menu please, you know B.C."

Sorry, they're not serving the breakfast menu now.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

@Essan

That belief is entirely arbitrary. To everybody gathered at the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus spoke of inheriting the earth. If anyone who followed him would go to heaven, who was he talking to? He was not going to be alive long enough for many of those people to die before he did.

John 6 talks about people partaking of the bread and wine and refers to them as being "drawn" by the Father. Not all Christians are drawn (another point JWs and many other churches have wrong). Jesus' invitation is open to any who want to accept it (John 7:37). Jesus went around hand-picking the apostles, but the masses followed him of their own will. There are absolutely 2 different types of Christians and 2 different hopes.

• Essan
    Essan

Wontleave, you said: " I don't see anywhere in Scripture where every Christian is supposed to partake of the emblems."

- Jesus told the Apostles to eat the bread and drink the wine and commanded them to do this in remembrance of him.

- Jesus told the Apostles to instruct the disciples - all of them - to "observe all the things I have commanded you". That would include eating the emblems.

- Paul showed that Lord's evening meal was taken by all Christians without distinction, just as Jesus had commanded. Paul obeyed Jesus command at Matthew 24, just as the other apostles did, and instructed all Christians to "observe all the things I have commanded you" - but Paul phrased it this way "For I received from the Lord that which I handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which he was going to be handed over took a loaf and after giving thanks, he broke it and said this means my body which is in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me."

To partake of the emblems is to accept that Jesus died on your behalf - "this means my body which is in your behalf". To not partake is to reject his sacrifice. This is also very explicitly stated in Scripture in John 6 where Jesus says "Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of MAn and drink his blood, you have no life in yourselves. He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life, and I shall resurrect him in the last day. For my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood remains in union with me and I in union with him. Just as the living Father sent me forth, and I live because of the Father, he also the feeds on me, even that one will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven....he that feeds on this bread will live forever."

It couldn't be more explicit.

No partaking. Not in union with Christ. Not a Christian. No life.

• Essan
    Essan

"Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in yourselves"

Yeah there are two types of Christians with Two "hopes", True Christians, anointed, who are in union with Christ and share the heavenly hope, and False Christians, who reject the sacrifice and refuse to partake, and who have "no life in [them]selves".

It's stunning how little regard you have for the book you claim to follow.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Jesus fight!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit