A thought about the "imperfect men" excuse for false teachings.

by WontLeave 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

In researching and writing this, a thought occurred to me...

Has anyone ever asked this: If the Society is "the faithful and discreet slave" of Mat 24, they have been given authority over all of Christ's belongings (including the people), are Spirit-led and God's sole means of communication, and are entrusted with revealing "food at the proper time", why are they held to a lower standard than the "other sheep"?

If they blatantly violate Scripture, if they make false prophecies, if they reverse their decisions repeatedly, if they go way beyond what is written, if they hold a position for years or decades which is obviously and finally admitted to be false, they are given a total pass as "imperfect men" and "not infallible". Meanwhile, if you or I have a belief JWs feel is "wrong" - we're not Spirit-directed mouthpieces of God - why are we "apostates"? Why don't we get the "imperfect men" excuse? Why don't we get the "not infallible" excuse? Why aren't we given a pass, in hopes that decades from now, we might adjust our thinking, if they just "wait on Jehovah"?

When it's finally admitted (via a quiet reversal in a Questions from Readers) that an adamant position held by the Society had been "running ahead" of Jehovah, why are they immune from reprisal? The Society repeatedly assures us the Governing Body is humbly submitting to Christ's lead, but how? They get to decide what Christ is saying, so they really only have to submit to what they claim. Everybody does that! How is it special to decide what you believe then go with that? And only the seven in NY are allowed that freedom. The other 11k "faithful and discreet slave" members don't have that option. They have been told to sit down and shut up, just like the rest of us.

While Jesus was on earth, he didn't hold the Pharisees to a lower standard, because they were special. He held them to a higher standard and reamed their collective anuses (ani?). He was very calm with the people and I can't think of one occasion where he called out someone who wasn't in a position a a teacher on being an "apostate", "of your father the Devil", "whitewashed graves", "offspring of vipers", etc. If Christ was really in charge of the JW cult, wouldn't the leaders be the focus of God's and Jesus' anger for holding wrong beliefs and spreading them more than the rank and file?

• sd-7
    sd-7

Excellent points. I think the biggest problem with the 'imperfect men' thing is that it is the PEOPLE, not the MESSAGE, that should be flawed. But if the MESSAGE is flawed, that has little to do with these men being imperfect; it has to do with the SOURCE of their MESSAGE. In other words, the message isn't from God if it's not perfect/true. Imperfection can't be blamed for wrong teachings when God's supposed to make sure that his servants know what to say before they go out and say it. If he would allow this degree of error, it only serves to embarrass God and make him look like he has no idea what he's doing and needs them to serve as sub-par PR agents.

It really only works out well for the Society if God is an incompetent boob with a malfunctioning GPS.

--sd-7

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I can't think of one occasion where he called out someone who wasn't in a position a a teacher on being an "apostate", "of your father the Devil", "whitewashed graves", "offspring of vipers", etc.

So true! When it came to the disciples, everything was forgiven. Peter denies CJ himself, not once, but THREE TIMES. Is he labeled "apostate"? Nope. Shunned? Nope. Removed from position? NOPE...... He's forgiven and continues on as an apostle.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Because they are....

• What Now?
    What Now?

"they blatantly violate Scripture, if they make false prophecies, if they reverse their decisions repeatedly, if they go way beyond what is written, if they hold a position for years or decades which is obviously and finally admitted to be false"

I find it so bizarre that Witnesses believe that the Almighty God would work through a group like that.

oh and 'ani' ... that made me laugh

• TheLoveDoctor
    TheLoveDoctor

for me i thought it out this way when it comes to all the flip flops, generation, and just really using any scripture they find to back up what they say.

Its like this for jah runs the org, then Jesus, then holy spirit, then anointed guided by the first 3, Yet they talk and teach of things they ought not and continually correct themselves and use wording in their literature in a way that we take it as said because their gods org. but the statements are not definite. Like evidently.

This proved to me that because of the teachings of fds and its gb that makes jah, Jesus, holy spirit not working properly and they appear confused and wrong and this should not happen even with the use of imperfect men Jah, Jesus and holy spirit should be doing a better job. this makes the truth untrue

• still thinking
    still thinking

Great post WontLeave...That is exactly right...the people who are shepherding the flock should be held responsible and answerable becasue they put themselves in that position. If they find they continue to be incorrect in their teachings, they need to be humble enough to acknowledge it and stand down due to lack of insight and inability to lead properly.

With authority comes power...and with power comes responsibility. This also means they should be held accountable for their actions and decisions. Maybe if they were they wouldn't be so flippant with peoples lives.

• AuntBee
  • AuntBee
    AuntBee

Ugh, forgot to switch to Google Chrome. -- I just said i've thought about what you said sd-7, about the message being flawed vs the people delivering it being flawed, etc. Wow, i love the way you put that so clearly into words - thanks!

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

Wontleave, great thread! Excellent points!

While I have tried to explain my feelings to some JW's, they always use that silly line. My thing is, I served at Bethel, and there I saw that the GB set the bar very high for themselves! So why would I look at their actions and dismiss them so easily, as if it's alright just because they are imperfect? They put themselves on that pedestal! And that is where they will be judged, at least in my eyes, not any lower.

@ DesirousOfChange

This is exactly what I have thought about after looking at Jesus example. When did he tell his apostles/disciples, "You're outta here! Don't talk to me for at least 6 months!"?

NEVER! And yet JW's claim to follow the example of Christ. Right. So he put into motion the silly DFing "loving arrangement". WHATEVA!!

CoC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit