Latest installment in the TL;DR collection. I need an editor.

by WontLeave 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

WontLeave, I have read your essay in full. There is a strange kind of logic to it if you start with a particular set of assumptions.

It would appear that for you the following is non-negotiable...

1. There is a god

2. The bible is his inspired comminucation

3. The basic teachings of the borg - hell, trinity, earthly paradise - are true

I am not going to try to argue with you about number 1; I think you will get there in your own time.

As for number 3 I wouldn't want to argue. As a former JW and former evangelical x-tian I now agree that the trinity is unbiblical (although the early christians did worship and pray to Jesus) and that hell can be read into the NT but not out of it.

Your real problem is with number 2. If god exists - and lets assume for the sake of argument she does - there is no way the bible is inspired by any supernatural being. Until you find the courage to face up to the evidence that makes your second assumption impossible you will be stuck with your very unhappy dilemma.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

@Cofty

As I clearly state in the most recent addition (while being the first writing), this one is based on my personal experiences, knowledge, and feelings on the matter. We know the Bible has been tampered with, because we've caught the church with its hand in the cookie jar. We can only imagine what we don't know. Much like ancient Egypt engaged in rewriting its history, we can only guess at what they succeeded in covering up. I know a few things in the Bible aren't exactly kosher, but as a whole, it has the ring of truth to me.

1. My study of the only 2 plausible explanations of why we're here - creation or evolution - led me to a belief in a creator. That led me to
    2. reading "holy" books which claim to speak for said Creator and what he wants. The Bible is far and away superior to anything else I've read.
    3. I just wanted to see what they said and not with the intention of proving or disproving any preconceived ideas. If the Bible said Trinity, Hell, etc. to me, I would have joined a mainstream church. It didn't.

I can honestly say, if the Qu'ran is accurate, I want nothing to do with that evil god. That is the god of fire-and-brimstone fundie wackos; not the god of the Bible. Knowing what I do about Judaism and church doctrine, it's obvious to me Muhammed picked from each and threw in some Genies and specious history about Satan: Voila! A new religion.

The Book of Mormon is even more obviously contrived and cobbled together. Parts are blatantly plagiarized from the KJV OT, even though the BoM was written at a time and place that English was virtually indistinguishable from its current form. It's pretty apparent that Joseph Smith just felt that's "how God talks" and wrote it that way. Even modern Mormons pray in old English, because the idea that it's "more holy" still holds.

• cofty
    cofty

My study of the only 2 plausible explanations of why we're here - creation or evolution - led me to a belief in a creator.

How much study of evolution did you do? What books did you study? Evolution is as well established as a fact as anything we know through science. How can you possibly reject it if you have actually studied it as you claim? Apart from close minded American evangelicals there is no dispute left regarding the fact of evolution. I suggest you spend a bit more time on it and try to be objective. Of course evolution does not rule out the possibility of a god.

reading "holy" books which claim to speak for said Creator and what he wants. The Bible is far and away superior to anything else I've read.

To say that the bible is the best of the "holy books" is not to claim much is it? Why order your life around the contents of an ancient book written by bronze age nomads?

Investigating your beliefs is a huge challenge that takes a lot of courage and self-scrutiny if you are to avoid confirmation bias. It sounds as if you have taken a few short-cuts.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

@cofty

You - like most - are probably confusing genetic drift and speciation with Evolution. Extrapolating data of "small steps" into indicating a long journey over time is not scientific. Only fundie weirdos believe every species currently in existence (and that have relatively recently gone extinct) was on the Ark. God didn't create every species, but "kinds". Both Evolution and young-earth fundie Creationism are red herring religions which present a false dichotomy each can point at for validation of their own lie.

This thread isn't about Evolution vs. Creation, so I won't get into the details, but Evolution is one of those things that the more I studied, the more I believed it - to a point. Then, the more I studied, the less I believed it. When I cross-checked what would have to happen for Evolution (I mean big evolution, which leads from amoeba to humans; not from light moths to dark moths), in the light of other fields of science, it became clear to me that it's impossible.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

WontLeave, you're not the first to create a competing belief-system based fundamentally on the Borg but with some tweaks and edits. Before going any further down this road, I recommend you google Perimeno and e-watchman, two of your predecessors. You may already have some kindred spirits who have broken ground for you. They have websites, forums, etc. already. Join there. Have fun!

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

@MS

I'll check out Perimeno. I've seen e-watchman and he's just trying to start an offshoot cult of his own. He and Rick Feron exactly fit the Biblical warning,

from among YOU yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves. - Acts 20:30

Rutherford did the same thing. Russell just wanted to leave people in their churches and talk about what he thought the Bible said. Creating another denomination added to the sectarianism already happening and warned against by Jesus. I don't want to start a cult and I would never suggest people follow any man. Christ is the only leader and I seek the elimination of human leaders; not to supplant them.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I don't want to start a cult and I would never suggest people follow any man. Christ is the only leader and I seek the elimination of human leaders; not to supplant them.

If you asked Robert King or Rick Fearon they would say the exact same thing.

Since you seem to be open to feedback, please listen to this: in many threads and essays you sound just like them. Indeed, you "need an editor."

• cofty
    cofty

I know this isn't about evolution but you really have not got a clue.

Back to the main point - you are still ordering your life and beliefs around a book. Even if you accept it has had some changes you still think it worthy of your attention. Until you get over that misconception you are doomed to repeat the erors of many others that have gone beore you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit