Lost Fathers and Field of Dreams

by unshackled 21 Replies latest members private

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I am so far from JW days, and my parents were out so long ago. They never stopped associating with their kids even when they were in and we were all out.

But you guys make me cry. I really hate those bastards in New York.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Meh, don't cry for me, beks. I have an amazing family. My dad is the only one I don't have a great relationship out of all my brothers, sister, mom, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents... and we are a sizable family. And who can say that? I know how lucky I am and I accept my dad's faults for what they are and love him despite them even if I can't have the relationship I want with him. Cry for my dad and for others on this thread, but not for me. ;)

Jackie

• unshackled
    unshackled

It makes me happy to see other dads active in their kids lives because I know how important it is.

In a strange way, I'm looking forward to having my own son (or daughter) so I can give them what I never got - unconditional love. To make up for what my father didn't do. As if I can some how make amends for that. Not sure that makes sense.

I know the feeling of trying to keep in touch and have a relationship. After a while, you just stop trying because it is not wanted. Frustrating indeed.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Found that final scene on the YouTube...see if it embeds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_wnD6jxREU

Edit: Nope. At least the link works.

• unshackled
    unshackled

But you guys make me cry. I really hate those bastards in New York.

Yep, hate those bastards too Berengaria. But like Silence said, no need to cry for me...life goes on and I'm trying to make the best of it. But there are days when you could use a father to look up to, get some words of wisdom.

Good to hear your parents got out long ago and you've kept that relationship.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Yes, thanks unshackled. That's one of my two favorite scenes in modern movies. Thousands of middle-aged men teared up on that one.

The other is from "Islands in the Stream" where George C. Scott responds to his oldest son's lament that Scott's character loves the youngest son "the most."

"I may love him the most - but I've loved you the longest."

Show stopper...

JV

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

The last thing my dad talked to me about was on of those stupid "but where will you go" speeches. Haven't talked to him in a couple years. We were never close though, never particularly cared for the man. We didn't have a terrible up bringing or anything. He just wasn't the kind of dad that takes you out back to play ball or anything. Just wanted to hand you money and hope that you take care of yourself. Didn't really dislike him either. I just don't miss him one way or the other. And I don't really want to have kids as long as my wife is a witness. That's an ugly road I don't want to go down.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

In a strange way, I'm looking forward to having my own son (or daughter) so I can give them what I never got - unconditional love. To make up for what

my father didn't do. As if I can some how make amends for that. Not sure that makes sense.

That's completely normal. Giving your kids what you didn't get fulfills a need in the parents. It's kind of like getting a second chance to be a kid through your kids.

• unshackled
    unshackled

JonH: There are days where I can relate to that feeling of "I just don't miss him one way or the other." As times goes on I think of the stuff he chooses to believe in and I don't really want any part of that absurdity. Really, what kind of man believes in talking snakes and is willing to shun his own family because he's told to?

jamie: Thanks for your thoughts. Guess it makes sense that it is a fairly common sentiment to have regarding raising your own children.

• Adiva
    Adiva

A quote I recently read comes to mind:

"Treat your children the way you wanted your parents to treat you." I realize I did that with my daughter and she's one of the most well adjusted individuals I've ever encountered. She was recounting a discussion she had with a difficult co-worker and ended by saying "I can't blame her for the way she acts; she didn't have you as a Mom".

I consider that high praise indeed.

Adiva

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit