Did I throw these guys under the bus?

by burnedout 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• burnedout
    burnedout

Over a year ago I knew I had to resign my position as Elder because of many reasons. I was the youngest Elder being 40ish... and there had already been some resistance to my wanting to cut back on the many responsiblities I had.

I knew that to make it easier for me to resign, there had to be some replacement. There were two MS's that were obviously reaching out, and one brother that was reaching out to be an MS. During the course of one year I helped to make sure these brothers were recommended for appointment.
    The two MS's were appointed as Elder and the other brothers is now an MS.

Now that I am off the BOE and recovering, I see the stress building in these three brothers (yes I still attend meetings every so often... family reasons). My wife even mentions that they look like I USED TO!!! I can't help but feel guilty for being instrumental if not soley responsible for their new found high level of stress in 'serving the congo.' I do know they were really wanting these positions...

Have I condemned these men to the same situation I was in?... abusing alcohol, yelling at the family due to stress of getting to the meetings on time so you can 'perform onstage', at the border of self-harm or suicide?

Did I throw these guys under the bus?

Burnedout

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

I think you saved yourself....

Man enough to see ...

I don't need this!!!!

Good 4 U!!!!!!!!!

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Yeah it sucks for them but they WANTED it. You dont want it so it works for everyone.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

they were reaching out. if someone offers to put their head in the noose for you, why say no?

• garyneal
    garyneal

Sticky,

You may have thrown them 'under the bus' but they wanted the position, you wanted out, and the BOE wanted a replacement. It seems the logical choice, a burden they now have to bear. If you had tried to spare these brothers AND got out, how would it have went? Try to imagine that scenario....

As I tell my daughter when she gets into something and feels stuck, "You can get in it, you can also get out of it." As is the case for your replacement.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Perhaps they will wake up as a result of the stress and seeing how holy spirit might not be running things after all...

• Honesty
    Honesty

They could have refused.

But the BOE would have probably subjected them to intense interrogation in order to find out what secret sins they were hiding.

They got themselves in the predicament and they can get themselves out of it.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I concur with the building consensus. No, you did not. They got what they wanted and you merely facilitated, for which I am sure they were grateful at the time. But the grass is always greener and in the end it's you who are responsible for your choices in life and they are ultimately responsible for theirs. Still, I wonder how XJWs live with themselves sometimes when they think about all the people they brought into the Watchtower before they learned the truth about The Truth and then exited themselves. The people who were brought in are the ones who were really thrown under the bus.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    Perhaps they will wake up as a result of the stress and seeing how holy spirit might not be running things after all...

I agree.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Your experience, burnedout, proves one thing. The elder arrangement certainly does not have divine approval and those who serve in it are not appointed by holy spirit. Those who believe otherwise are only deceiving themselves.

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit