The J Dub Culture of Skirt-Wearing

by mummatron 77 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I adore the bold, graphic cherry dress. Once upon a time, I had a similar dress but with large lemons and limes. Are there any credits for manufactuer or store where dress is available or release date? Normally, that type of design costs more money. Recently, I compared the clothes at my run down Macy's with Neiman=Marucs. Why can't someone pick up the color pallette of N-M and design at lower cost? Well, I can't afford N-M and I no longer want the junk at Macy's.

The very colors and designs that used to repulse me as a young woman attract me now.

Let the men walk around in togas in winter and women might be able to wear trousers. The ruling has nothing to do with modestry. Fredericks of Hollywood and adult lingeries shops produce dresses for purchase. Control! And we all wear skirts to be good girls. God forbid, we stand up for our comfort and true modesty. A burqa is modest.

• rebel8
    rebel8

when I leaned forwards to reach my lemonade from the coffee table

Wait, you were allowed to have refreshments at meetings?! Drinking lemonade while studying Apocalyptic texts is offensive to Jehovah! lol
    and then sat back, my legs stuck to the sofa seat whilst my skirt rode up exposing 2 inches of flesh above my knees. No biggie. Like I said, I had/have long legs so it certainly didn’t look like a mini-skirt. Well, I went home and my mother took me aside and counselled me on how an elderly pioneer brother (a widower if that detail makes a difference..?) in his 70’s had told her he was severely embarrassed by me!!!

Your mom should have scolded that perv for looking at your kneecaps if he found them so sexy.

I have mentioned this story before--I was once taken to the back room by the elders for having a skirt that showed my kneecaps--a straight skirt, no less. It was very modest and businesslike. Also I was wearing black hose with it, and a bro complained b/c I "looked like a prostitute".

Straight skirts were not allowed--below the knee full skirts only. No blazers or anything resembling suits--too worldly. Big Love style only.

Geez, controling fabrics.

^This.
    British Fab Four mod. The mod was my favorite look.

^mmmm. Fashiongasm.

Re Mad Men dresses--Aug 18 Banana Republic is releasing a line.

• mummatron
    mummatron

LOL Rebel8! The lemonade was supplied after the bookstudy had finished.

I have mentioned this story before--I was once taken to the back room by the elders for having a skirt that showed my kneecaps--a straight skirt, no less. It was very modest and businesslike. Also I was wearing black hose with it, and a bro complained b/c I "looked like a prostitute".

And he knew what a prostitute looked like because....?

• rebel8
    rebel8

Actually he may have used the word "harlot", which would explain why he knew what they looked like. Hopefully I looked like the younger, sexier harlot.

• mummatron
    mummatron

I'm sure you did look younger and sexier. Just without the Christmas negligée and gown.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Oh my gosh, she is wearing a Christmas robe, isn't she?! How bizarre.

I remember a toddler dub goo goo ga ga'ing at Christmas lights and his mom telling him, "No, bad!"

• mummatron
    mummatron

Aww no, that's so sad. Poor kid. Just a baby, how would he know?! Makes you wonder how many dub kids aren't allowed decorative lights in their bedrooms (like the ones from Ikea) because they bear too much resemblance to Xmas lights.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I can recall back about 1980 mention being made of this matter at the District Convention.

They phrased it as "what the community considers to be appropriate dress for wearing to church." Some supposed "fashion consultant" ( a person that I had never heard of before or since) was quoted as saying "pants suits are inappropriate for wearing in church." As if she was the Final Word!

I thought to myself at the time "You ought to see what comes and goes from the local Baptist Chruch down the road from our street!"

When, in the mid-1970s, a series of Watchtower articles came about how ones conscience alone should be the deciding matter as to choice of dress and grooming, some Australian congregations did allow women to wear pants suits. After a few years, though, the WTS seemed to feel that they were losing control over the R&F, and even those congrgations re-imposed the WTS Tulmud.

And yet, the JWs have the nerve to lambast "Christendom" for enforcing their own traditions!

Bill.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit