Has there been any recent counsel or articles advising JW's to avoid associating with 'inactives'?

by nicolaou 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Yes, Jean-luc, I've heard people mentioning the storms as well. And when I've said "things are no worse now than they've been before" and remind people of the plague, Black Death, smallpox, just about anything, I'm told, no, greater numbers of people are affected now and it's all coming at once!

There is no reasoning with them.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

There is no reasoning with them.

Because they're kept in ignorance and taught that reasoning means looking stuff up in the Watchtower library. They don't know HOW to reason.

• ChainedNoLonger
    ChainedNoLonger

My mom, sister, and other family members have also deleted their Facebook accounts recently. They have also completely stopped talking to me, going so far as texting me that they will NOT talk to me until I have been reinstated as one of Jehovah's witnesses. The funny thing is...I have not been disfellowshipped, so there would be no "reinstation."

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Welcome, ChainedNo Longer!

You seem to have a lot of your close family "in", which makes this latest witchhunt very hard for you.

I'm a non-jw, and my jw SIL has now also declined to keep in touch since I failed to progress in my "Bible" studies. The jw ladies who were uber-friendly at the start of the visits have also disappeared. Ah well.

Hang in there, and I do hope that as others have suggested, once the present stridency wears off, believing jws will revert to more moderate behaviour.

I understand from another thread that you have at least one child, kudos to you for raising her/him out of the watchtower! That's a great thing to do for your child.

All the best, Retro

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

"Suppose that a doctor told you to avoid contact with someone who is infected with a contagious, deadly disease. You would know what the doctor means, and you would strictly heed his warning. Well, apostates are “mentally diseased,” and they seek to infect others with their disloyal teachings." The Watchtower. July 15, 2011; Page 17:

In the U.K. this might be grounds for a group libel action;

Libel is the publication of a statement which exposes a person to:

Hatred, ridicule or contempt or which causes him to be shunned or avoided or which has a tendency to injure him in his office, trade or profession in the estimation of right-thinking members of society generally. Libel is all about words that damage a person's reputation in the eyes of reasonable people.

The first question when you consider a libel action: "Is what I have written basically true"?

If it is not true in substance and in fact then you will be deprived of the two classic defences:

* Justification - you are justified in damaging a reputation because what you are saying is true.
    * Fair Comment - the comment complained of has to be based firmly on fact.

Source and further reading.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I think this is why I thought I was dissfellowshipped for a while and thought they skipped on telling me. My brother acts so uncomfortable around me and his wife avoids me like the plague.

eh....I am not fond of them anyway.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Hmmmm.. Maybe this s why my inlaws acted so strange Sunday... Wouldn't say a word to me..lol

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    In the U.K. this might be grounds for a group libel action

Go for it!

They really are a law to themselves the twerps.

• ChainedNoLonger
    ChainedNoLonger

Yes I do have a lot of family "in." My daughter, mom, sister, aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandmother. My brother was disfellowshipped years ago, and my dad had disassociated years ago, so I do have contact with them; especially my dad. I personally NEVER agreed with the shunning, I didn't stop talking to my brother or dad even when I was still "in." I know my grandmother continues to associate with her youngest son who was the only one out of my uncles that was disfellowshipped. I also know for a fact my grandmother continued to have contact with my mom all during the time she was disfellowshipped, so it makes me think my mom is a hypocrite for treating me like this, and I wasn't disfellowshipped this time. I sent my daughter who lives with my mom a text the other day along with her a clip of my younger children in a school play, I texted that I love her. She texted me back, that "I don't feel right saying I love you, but I don't feel right not saying it, so let's just leave it at that." I sent my mother the same type text and she sent back, "To kids: I love you too."

My husband sent my mom a text telling her she was a poor excuse for a mother, but received no reply.

• Scully
    Scully

It makes me LMAO actually, to know that my JW relatives freely associate with Worldly™ relatives who drink, smoke, fornicate, have children out of wedlock, have affairs, get divorced, or adult / elderly JWs who are sexually inappropriate with younger JW women and children, etc. than me and my family.

The hypocrisy, promoted by these idiotic articles, is quite stunning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit