Does the WTBS still push private Bible reading as much as 10-20 yrs ago?

by unshackled 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• godrulz
    godrulz

From Russell forward, they consider the Bible a closed book apart from the guidance of 'God's organization'. Practically, there is no room for independent Bible interpretation or disagreement with WT (without risking DF). One must believe something, even if it is false, until 'new light' comes along. This ensures uniformity, but not truth or biblical unity. I remind the JWs at my door to read the WT through the eyes of the Bible, not vice versa (they may think they are, but they are not since they default to WT views/indoctrination). I have the freedom to exegete the text and critically compare it to claims made by other religions or believers (cf. Bereans). The other problem is their reliance on sectarian NWT which is a pathetic translation on all fronts. Using the KIT would help, especially relating to the Deity of Christ verses they twist to their own destruction.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Free!!: Yes, that is what I would think they would do...combine their pubs with the bible. Congrats on not being to KH in a long time.

blondie: Thanks for the clarification. That is what I recall regarding rules for small groups. And yes, include that "poor single sister"...the spinster.

godrulz: That's an interesting thing to say the Dubs at the door, must get some confused looks.

Knowsnothing: I see what you're saying and guess that makes sense from that perspective. But on the flip side I see this...their control is tightening. All the WTs seem to say these days is:
    - the GB is the ultimate authority. Obey, obey, obey.
    - beware of apostates
    - beware of internet, material possessions, entertainment, etc
    - go in service, go in service, go in service....the end is any minute
    - beware of education

If you only read the Bible you're not going to find any of that (mostly). So from a cult control perspective you'd think the publications would always be present.

Maybe I'm just not cult leader material and don't have a clue.
    Don't matter, I'd much rather be a dictator governing over an island banana republic...El Presidente!

• godrulz
    godrulz

I hold their literature and the Bible. I put the lit on top of the Bible to illustrate what they are doing. Then I put the Bible on top of the lit and look through it to show what God expects us to do with any non-biblical writing. The WT has so many extra/contrabiblical views that I cringe and cry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit