Does the WTBS still push private Bible reading as much as 10-20 yrs ago?

by unshackled 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• unshackled
    unshackled

Friday at 4pm pacific is probably not the best time for this. But what the hell…trying to kill the last hour of work here.

In my years as a Dub and before I faded about 8 years ago I recall private Bible reading was regularly encouraged by the Org.

There was the weekly Bible reading schedules to keep up on, remember it being repeated in publications the importance of reading your Bible, and then the Bethelite stories I heard where you were required to read the entire Bible.

So, do they they still stress it as much as they used to?

They are increasingly placing the Governing Body as the ultimate authority, squeezing out Jehovah and Jesus, and stressing that you need the GB's publications to properly understand the Bible.

Based on that, wouldn't encouraging personal Bible reading suggest you can understand it on your own and detract from their brain-numbing publications?

• Free!!
    Free!!

yes they are... actually one of the reason they took away the book study meeting is to encourage people to do more personal study, including reading the bible... funny thing is, the only bible you can read is the one they print... anything else is WRONG!! (yeah ritteee)

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

unshackled, think about it. The Watchtower has always emphasized personal Bible study. Yet, they have been able to get away with anything they do for the past, oh I don't know, 100 years?

In fact, they have to emphasize it, because then the R&F would become aware of something finally. They simply emphasize Bible reading along with their publications.

It essentially works hand-in-hand for them. Publications cite Bible and Bible is hard to understand at times and JWs will look for answers in publications.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Free!!: Thanks...interesting. Do they encourage Bible reading alone without publications for Family Study Night?

They simply emphasize Bible reading along with their publications.

Knowsnothing: That I get...their pubs interpret the Bible the way they want. But if one reads the Bible without the pubs, then that is without their interpretation. From what I can determine...this would leave one left to possibly interpret on their own. Something they don't want.

One of the main tools of their mind control are the publications. That's why I don't get not ALWAYS pushing a publication along with reading the Bible.

• designs
    designs

From what I hear they are pushing Bible reading in groups.

• therevealer
    therevealer

There is and always has been a weekly bible reading schedule. Then at the weekly meeting at the hall they can be told what the portion they read means.

• Free!!
    Free!!

Unshackled- I havent being to the KH in a long time, but for what my JW friends tell me and i have alway known, they said read the bible but you must use the WT publications to be able to understand the message... i know tht for family study nite they are telling people to chose whatever subject is convenient for their family or their area, so bible reading is one of the options.. like i said before, only THEIR bible and w THEIR publications...

• unshackled
    unshackled

From what I hear they are pushing Bible reading in groups.

designs...so just the Bible then? Thought they always discouraged meeting in small groups to study the bible? Strange...maybe it's me but from a tightening the control aspect this seems counter-intuitive.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    so just the Bible then? Thought they always discouraged meeting in small groups to study the bible? Strange...maybe it's me but from a tightening the control aspect this seems counter-intuitive.

IMO, it's not really. It's kind of like this. It's not even a "prove us wrong" scenario or anything. It's simply "we have the truth already, we have a Christian Church already, we have a system in place already." (get the point?)

A faithful JW will say, "Ahhh, the FDS encourages us to read the Bible! Therefore, they must be the FDS!"

Circular logic at its best.

• blondie
    blondie

bible reading in groups but only:

With your immediate family living at home

With your immediate family living at home and one poor single sister you are trying to encourage

With your immediate family living at home and one other family all living together at home

but not:

3 or more single people

3 or more families

Too much like an "unsanctioned by the elders" study group; a hotbed for apostates

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit