Does anyone know if they are still teaching the GT to newbies?

by aristeas 10 Replies latest jw friends

• aristeas
    aristeas

It has been quite an eye-opening last two weeks or so since I discovered & joined this site. I'm learning a lot and there's no doubt much still to learn. I must continue to thank so many posters for contributing information not available elsewhere on a wide variety of topics. I have one thing to share and a related question that has come up.

From the bit of research I've been able to do so far on the new songbook, one interesting thing has emerged. Since the songbook is basically a return to the golden oldies of the pink one (+ about 40 new songs I have yet to see), notable is the fact that one such oldie, #14 in the '86 book, 'Be Glad, You Nations', in spite of it being a very popular song that goes way back, is not in the new book. Surely the reason must be that the third line of the first verse was 'The seven Gentile Times have ended; Their kings have had their day'. It seems that the O is playing down anything having to do with 607-1914. Some posters here say that Rolf Feruli's pitiful apologies for the WTS's 607 date are NOT appreciated by the GB b/c it brings up the very thing they want to lie dormant.

All this brings up an interesting question: does anyone know what the current study book is that's being used for 'Bible' studies with interested people who are found in field service? Further does anyone know if this book, whatever it is, contains this 'Gentile times' teaching, i.e., 607 to 1914 and all that? If they are still using a newbie book that contains this info, then how serious can they be about letting this idea lie low?

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

First off, the book is called "What does the Bible really teach?".

Second, yes it is taught. It is in the appendix and Chatper 8, "What is the Kingdom of God" introduces it.

However, as you noted, this point is kind of glossed over. It is simply expected that the study will accept it, as do the 7 million JW's.

• aristeas
    aristeas

Thanks, Knowsnothing—so is your nic ironic or what? You sure knew your stuff here!

I found the book on-line at the official O site:

http://www.watchtower.org/e/bh/appendix_00.htm

And you were right, it's both in chapter 8 and the appendix. The book came out in 2005, so the directive to write it was prob. given to the writing dept. in 2004, just before they decided to downplay 607/1914. I guess we'll have to see what develops re: these dates next when they decide to replace this book with another for the newbies.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Lol, the reason I choose knowsnothing is from that famous misquote from Socrates. "I know that I know nothing".

I just read that's not even accurate, so I truly knownothing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_that_I_know_nothing

Let's hope the WT isn't around long enough for there to be newbies.

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Yes, my "Bible" studies used "What does the Bible really teach" also. The impression I had was that progressing through the book sets the hooks in (Paradise soon, relationship with Jeh, membership of a loving conregation) long before proceeding to detail.

The jw ladies also said that there was no need to go through the appendix with the calculations in detail; it just "proves" Chapter 8 ()

• aristeas
    aristeas

KN: thx for the explanation re: your nic

Retro: thx for the input. Are you still active? If so, BEEEE CAREFUL!

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Thanks, Aristeas! My study was discontinued due to my lack of progress. I've been learning here how lucky I was!

• wobble
    wobble

If my memory serves me well, the Bible Teach book, (isn't that title, "What does the bible really teach" a misnomer !) , just presents the Blood doctrine as simply abstain, no mention of fractions, or is there an appendix article about this ?

The book did me a favour, having determined for myself in late 2006 that 1914 was simply not in the Bible however you stretch things, I refused to go D to D offering to study this book with people, even if most of the doctrine was hidden in the appendix, I still wanted to preach the truth, not half-hidden lies.

An Elder promised to return and defend the 1914 doctrine to me, he never did.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Dammit Aristeas! I read your first post a little while ago and have had to stop myself 3 times from belting out BE GLAD YOU NATIONS AND HIS PEOPLE. This is gonna be a bad day. LOL

NC

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.watchtower.org/e/bh/appendix_00.htm

AND

www.jw.org (originally published 2005, this is 2009 printing)

I have looked at both and cannot find the mention of the "great tribulation" in either version using Search or using Revelation 7:14, Matthew 24:21 or Mark 13:19. Can you direct me to the page?

Thanks.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit