I'm sorry I knocked on your door

by corpusdei 10 Replies latest jw friends

• corpusdei
    corpusdei

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Nowhere is that more evident, I think, than in the Kingdom Hall. Like so many others that I knew, I thought the Watchtower society had it right, that their answers were the correct ones. I faithfully underlined the answers in every Watchtower and raised my hand at every question. For the better part of 16 years, 6 of those as an auxiliary pioneer, I went out in field service to knock on doors and spread the Good Word of Jehovah. It's even possible that I've met you on some Saturday morning or Tuesday afternoon. If I did - if I smiled up at you as a child and held out a Watchtower, or stood in my Goodwill suit and countered your argument with a carefully rehearsed line from Reasoning from the Scriptures, then I want to apologize to you. I was wrong, and I'm sorry.

Wow. I just did the math. Almost a year of continuous time spent in active field service. I couldn't have been a very good witness - I held many bible studies with different people, and convinced a few to come to the Kingdom Hall, but I can't recall anyone who actively joined because I introduced them. I'm thankful for that, looking back on it. I had good intentions and I thought I was doing the right thing, but if I knocked on your door then I apologize. It wasn't the Truth I was offering, it was poison. Carefully wrapped and lovingly presented, but poison nonetheless.

That Truth was a toxin that infected me and my family. I watched as it drove a wedge between my parents, and it's to my shame that I recall telling my father that he was a sinner and wouldn't get into Paradise if he didn't go to the Kingdom Hall. I watched my mother drip her venom in the ear of my family until it disintegrated, my father sidelined and made inconsequential in the eyes of his children because he didn't believe. My brother entered into a marriage and had a kid long before he was ready because it was the Good Witness thing to do. I still hold that the financial and emotional strain of that fed into the carelessness which turned my baby brother’s wife and child into a widow and fatherless boy. My little sister, too, so much smarter than my bother and I combined, chose to turn away from an education and marry someone whose career consisted of delivering home appliances on the rare occasion he wasn't leaching off my mother. After all, he was a good Witness boy. It made me a target in school, and the pain and confusion and isolation that came out of that time brought me to a point where I put my father’s revolver to my head, stared down the barrel and had a long, hard think about dying. I wish I could say that was only the one time, but there were more than a few points where being a Witness was less fun than being dead.

That was a long time ago, thank ... well, thank whoever. There's been a lot of time since then, with a lot of anger, pain, questioning and searching since then. I don't knock on doors anymore, and I like to think that I got out of that somewhat less damaged then some other people I know. There's Watchtower society baggage that I'm still discovering, though, and more that I'm not sure will ever completely go away. I love spending Christmas with my wife and her family, who have been so wonderfully loving and adoptive of me, but there's always a shadow of guilt when I help hang the ornaments. I love giving my wife presents on her birthday, but I watch my own approaching with a discomfort that has little to do with advancing age.

So, if I did knock on your door and roust you from a calm Saturday morning, then I am sorry and apologize with all my heart. I had good intentions, but those paving stones were taking me on a path that I'll always regret. As hard as I tried to convince you that I was right, years and hindsight have shown me how far from right I was. I want to thank each of you who closed the door in my face, each of you who told me you weren't interested or that you had your own religion. I was so very, very wrong, and I'll always be more grateful than you know that you didn't listen to me.

• watersprout
    watersprout

Thank you for sharing!

It's painful to release the pain and hurt, but once it's out you can begin to heal.

Maybe one day I will share my story.... Maybe....

Peace

• cantleave
    cantleave

The FSM and IPU both forgive you.

Seriously - good post. I am sure most of us who ever showed JW zeal can recognise where you are coming from.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    I am sure most of us who ever showed JW zeal can recognise where you are coming from.

Amen

Nicely written corpusdei

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Thank you for sharing your story . I wish all those wanting to leave the JW's would be able to read such life stories and realize they too can escape . It is horrible to be in that spot where you think peace will only come by ending your own exisitence ....so very sad .

• corpusdei
    corpusdei

Thank you, all of you (and I include the rest of JWN as well). Even being gone from it as long as I have, that was ... more difficult than I expected.

• fortis et liber
    fortis et liber

corpusdei, you express yourself so eloquently, although difficult to write, I hope it was cathartic for you -- it was for me and, I thank you for that.

~ Fortis

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Ive apologized to workmates and friends in behalf of JWs knocking on their door.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Awesome post thanks

• scary21
    scary21

I was born in, never baptised. I still lived my life with guilt every time I was around holiday partys. Baggage... baggage.... baggage.....We all have some WT baggage. Since coming here my load is alot lighter. GREAT POST!!! You write very well.

Sherry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit