Published life story of Australian ex-Witness. An absorbing read.

by MrMonroe 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

There are a number of books available on Amazon giving the life stories of ex-Witnesses. I've always been intrigued by one called "I'm Perfect, You're Doomed" by Kyria Abrahams, which sounds like a witty read. One day I'll buy it!

I recently met a very interesting character whose own life story is an incredible tale of survival: "A Little Lower Than Angels", by Melbourne author Helen Travers. In short, she lived in a small country town in Victoria, Australia when her mother succumbed to the pressures of visiting JWs and joined up, then began dragging her kids along to meetings as well. All the family bar the father joined; Helen fell in love with (and under the spell of) a guy she worked with who joined the Witnesses but lost interest the day they married. Through an emotionally abusive relationship he coerced his wife into prostitution, a life from which she escaped only years later.

Though she emerged basically intact, she remained mentally entrapped by the Witnesses for years and today she is still shunned by almost all her family, including her mother.

It's very well written, a very powerful story and for outsiders, an amazing insight into two very closed worlds at extreme ends of the moral spectrum: a tightly-knit, high-control religion and prostitution. The book is available through Amazon, though I'm not trying to spruik it here, So far it's self-published, but Helen is trying to get a major publisher in Australia to pick it up.

You may find it interesting ... I reckon there's a book in just about every ex-JW, but are there any you've read that are standouts and worth buying?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Thanks I like to collect JW memoirs and I missed this one.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    I reckon there's a book in just about every ex-JW

Can't argue with that . . .

I've spent a lot of time catching up on ex-JW friends and hearing their stories . . . along with the new posters here. All of that has been a lot to absorb and I've not read much in the way of published accounts.

Having said that I am intrigued . . . I must change my habits to include it.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I Was A Teenage Jehovah's Witness is pretty good.

• JW83
    JW83

Thanks will look it up!

My honours thesis 'A National Nuisance': The Banning of Jehovah's Witnesses in Australia in 1941 is my book :)

It felt great digging some dirt on the hypocrites.

• cedars
    cedars

If only those of us who are "still in" could write our stories with impunity. I reckon there's plenty more stories to be heard from that angle. Maybe these are still 'living' their stories, and it isn't over yet...

• Taurus58
    Taurus58

Hi - I'm Helen Travers from Melbourne, Australia - author of 'A Little Lower Than Angels'.

Thank you Mr. Monroe whoever you are, for giving my story a plug.

If anyone's interested in getting a copy there are various outlets; just google Helen Travers author.

It's self-published so I don't make any money out of this, but have had a lot of readers thank me - a number have said it's the best exJW book they've read to date! Who would have thought, a girl from the back woods of rural Australia.

(There's a sequel waiting in the wings, called (tentatively) 'Witch Way?' Still a rebel)

Thanks again. And a big thanks to Cedars for his research and couragousness. x

• skin
    skin

Thanks Helen for bringing your book to my attention. Not sure if Mr Monroe is still on this site but lets hope he is and makes a reply.

Regards: Skin from NZ

• Make Lemonade
    Make Lemonade

Hi Helen

We are happy you survived and will add your book to our must read list. From the comments we can see your experience will be in the "recovery is possible" catagory. It will be enjoyable to see the details of how you did it. Thanks for sharing

• Taurus58
    Taurus58

Thank you guys. If it's not breaking forum rules you can see my website for a bit more info, or to email me the website is (www.)

jehovahsmysteries.com

Gregorio Smith's Truth Be Told is coming to Melbourne and Sydney for any Aussies here. We have venues, but no dates yet.

Skin - love NZ; been to the North Island many times. x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit