"No Silence Of The Lambs"-Paducah Sun

by silentlambs 31 Replies latest jw friends

• silentlambs
    silentlambs

. http://www.paducahsun.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?/200202/08+07UR_religion.html+20020208+religion

No silence of the Lambs

Web site for pedophile victims provides support, opportunity to share stories
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By C.D. Bradley [email protected]->270.575.8650
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BENTON, Ky.--Bill Bowen, the former Jehovah's Witness elder who made news when he resigned last year and criticized the church for its position on pedophiles in the congregation, has started a support group for victims.
    "Our purpose is to give a voice to those who have been silenced by the organization," Bowen said of his group, Silent Lambs. "We want to let them know they do have a place they can go to. We don't perform any miracles. We just give them resources and information, sources of counseling and help."

The nonprofit group's work centers around its Web site at www.silentlambs.org. The site, which Bowen said is visited by about 200 Internet surfers a day, provides a variety of information and resources.

It includes a place for victims to share their stories, often told in brutal detail. Bowen said the site now has about 400 stories split between a victims page and guestbook.

The page also keeps tabs on alleged Witness molesters in the news, provides tips on how to "pinpoint a pedophile," picks up church writings on the issue, and offers resources for victims who are looking for help.

"Only one out of five post their stories," Bowen said of the site's visitors. "Four remain silent. I tell the ones who do that they're really the heroes of the Web site. They are the ones that show that I'm not just some crazy guy in Kentucky who's made up a story.

"That's why I put up the elders' letters (outlining church policy). That way, they're not about taking my word for it. They can read it themselves."

Bowen said the church requires members to report anything, including molestation, to the congregation's elders, who then advise them what action to take. Church doctrine requires two witnesses for any type of disciplinary action, and there are generally not two witnesses to pedophilia. Church representatives have said they always follow the law, but Bowen said that does not go far enough. Only 16 states, including Kentucky, require clergy to report accusations of sexual abuse to authorities, and Bowen said elders in the other states generally choose not to report it.

Bowen has also posted audio from testimony by Erica Rodriguez, who said she was raped and molested by a church elder when she lived in Washington state from the age of four until her family moved when she was 11. Now 23 and living in Sacramento, Calif., she has sued the Brooklyn, N.Y.-based church headquarters — the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society — claiming church policy protects pedophiles.

Bowen said when Manuel Beliz, the former elder convicted last year of raping Rodriguez was sentenced a second time, 29 members of the church sent letters supporting him. He said Rodriguez and her family were shunned after she took the matter to legal authorities.

"Three simple things would make it a better organization," Bowen said. "One, if a child is molested, they should be required to go to the police first, not the elders. Two, if a child molester comes into the congregation, don't put him in a position of responsibility. Three, stop child molesters from going door to door."

The denomination is known for proselytizing by knocking on doors.

Bowen said he's not out to destroy the church, and is not making any profit from the support group, which he helps fund and run with the help of volunteers nationwide.

"It's a meaningful effort, and I'm glad for what it has been able to accomplish," he said. "If anything has been accomplished, it's a growing awareness among people at the Watchtower that they'd better do this right. They've been made aware they need to be careful, and if they mess up, we're going to find out about it and let everybody know."

The organization can also be reached at 1-877-WTABUSE.

• Quandary
    Quandary

Great Job Bill!

BTW- What's the latest with DATELINE? Obviously it will have to air after the Olympics. Do you have any idea when it will actually air?

Thanks-
    Q

• HenryP
    HenryP

The article above says

Bowen said he's not out to destroy the church
    Mr. Bowen, you accuse Watchtower lawyers of lying or at least misrepresenting the facts. I believe you are also a liar in the above quote.

I looked through your previous posts to see if you were genuine or not. Although I am in favor of the reporting of child abuse to the authorities, I am not in favor of someone who is out to get the Watchtower and using victims of child abuse for his personal cause.

So let us analyze if you lied in the Paducah Sun article:

You said in a previous thread on this board:

I see no purpose in serving again as an elder in a totally corrupt organization that makes the lucid choice to perpetrate a policy that hurts children.
    Corrupt organization? Does this not sound like someone who is out to destroy the church?

it is good for wicked arrogant men to think they answer to no one, as the fall to reality will be much harder. Can you hear that sound Governing Body? It is the sound of hard ground rushing up to smack you in the face.
    This quote proves without a doubt your true intentions, destroying the church.

I recently received my personal United Nations letter from the WT with their explanation of the matter.
    Now if your sole purpose in your fight is against Watchtower policy regarding silentlambs, why do you now get involved in the UN thing? Is this not another sign that you are out to destroy the church for personal reasons?

Jehovah's Witnesses are unique they appear on the surface to be so righteous yet underneath support wicked acts.
    This is a very strong statement about JWs in general. What happened to just focusing on the child abuse issue?

Here is other proof at your true intentions. In a post you claimed:

1. Ted Jaracz
    2. Daniel Sydlik
    3. Fred Franz
    4. Ewart Chitty
    5. Leo Greenlees
    These men all have something in common, can you guess what it is?
    Silentlambs

Then you add:

the most obvious answer would be, they served on the governing body. unfortunately that is not the answer i am looking for, as far as the real answer is concerned, all i can say is that everyone will know in the not to distant future. are you listening wt??
    Silentlambs

You further state:
    so all i can say is just a little while longer and the wicked......wait that is a scripture. just have a little patience and soon i will be saying "DOUBT NOT" again.
    Silentlambs

This is what is commonly called “slander”. Somehow you are trying to stain the reputation of Ted Jaracz, Daniel Sydlik and Fred Franz by suggesting they are involved in some sort of sin.

I would have to guess that you are referring to child abuse. Is that not your cause? You give no proof of your allegations. How does this help the silentlambs?

Than you accuse the Watchtower of

satanic ritual abuse within the wt organization

A poster asks you:

silent
    That's very serious. Kind of shocking. Its the first i ever heard of the wt being in touch w this type of stuff.
    I am curious though, if satan is actually spoken of by name or w a picture or image in these rituals?

And you answer:

Name was used along with symbols and specifc instruments.
    Silentlambs

Again, I have to ask. How does this false accusation help the silentlambs? Is this not another attempt on your part to discredit the church? Proving once again that you lied to the reporter.

In yet another post you say:

It will be Aramageddon for WT

Mr. Bowen again you show what you really want to happen to the Watchtower.

You also posted:

WT will always have the upper hand and will beat you down with self-destructive behavior. You have to break free of the programming, seize the real truth that you are what you think. What you think of yourself, your family and how you interact with others will show whether you possess in your character the honor and integrity WT has tried to destroy.
    Mr. Bowen, you are showing that you are just one more common apostate out to destroy the Watchtower by insinuating that JWs are programmed. Again, why did you lie to the reporter?

And finally when you find that the Watchtower Branch in London did something correct, you now sarcastically try to down play it and make fun of that fact by saying:

The British brothers are apostate. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I can no longer cover for them anymore. The BOE letters from Britain clearly show as far back as 1992 the brothers there chose to encourage the witnesses in England to go to the police first on child molestation issues.
    So Witnesses finally do something right, and you ridicule this.

Are you fighting for the silentlambs, or using them as bait to bring the Watchtower down?

• sf
    sf

"You give no proof of your allegations. How does this help the silentlambs?"

Henry, tell TED and SlickDick your mission here in this thread has failed. Because it has. You were too easy to spot.

Run TEDDY Run!

sKally

If man was supposedly created in gods image, then.....holy krap...we're all doomed.-sKallyWagger

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Henry-you pick on semantics instead of the issue---The cover-up and subsequent shunning if the abuse is reported. Answer those questions.

ashi

• jamaica
    jamaica

Henry your a FUCKIN ASSHOLE like the other JW's are.
    I hope your fucking religion goes down the shitter and
    evey JW with it, I hope someone "caps" all of you motherfuckers.xx(
    Jamaica

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

yo .... Mr. Ad Hominem,

Mr. William (Bill) H. Bowen is STILL a Jehovah's Witness in good standing.

There has been absolutely no hearing to disfellowship him. They have had a whole year but not a peep!!!

So how the hell can you label him an "apostate".

BTW - He wasn't saying it was bad that the British elders are going to the Police. He was telling us that in USA and Canada this practice is not allowed compared to Britain.

Bill has also taken the time and provided tons of evidence both his own, others and from the court cases.

Grab a brain.

Labelling people "apostate" who are not and teaching "creed" bigotry is a sickness that comes very close to what these other sicko molesters have done to the innocent young Witness children and likely other children in the community whose door they have knocked on and gotten to know.

Whether Bill wants to see the Temple fall over or wants just certain players out of the game, he is still doing the right thing - putting innocent kids, Witness kids, way ahead of a bunch of people who say white blood cells are banned but then allow them if the are called a peripheral blood stem cell transfusion.

hawk

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

To Henry P.................Necessity has no law.

• HenryP
    HenryP

Ashitaka,

Please understand that I make no excuses for the way the abuses are covered up. They should not. The Society is trying to follow the Bible, but in some aspects, such as these crimes, they must adapt to modern Society. This, they are trying to do, that's why where the law requires it, they are informing the authorities about the child abuser or molestor. I hope that other states, even countries, adopt laws that requires the same.

Hawkaw,

I am not saying he should be disfellowship. I really doubt that he is considered in good standing.

The apostate comment is in reference to what his intentions are, shown by his previous comments.

The fact is he did lie to the reporter, but then he dares to label Watchtower attorneys as liers.

I am not fond of those that are willing to use people that have been abused as children for their own personal fights against the Watchtower. These are being abused again and again, but this time by Mr. Bowen.

• larc
    larc

Henry,

You sure are a well read Watchtower man. Now, since you like to parse and analyze words, let's deal with your words. You say that the Society is making changes. Then, you say that they do report information to the authorities, "where the law requires it". What this means is that they only comply when they have too, under the threat of the judicial system. Your own words show that they are not doing this willingly.

Let me ask, what should they do when the law does not require it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit