Conversation I overheard this morning...

by Morbidzbaby 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

So this morning I decided to go see if I could find some interesting used books for my flight in a couple of weeks and I saw a JW from one of the local congregations...she didn't see me, even though she was directly behind me looking at the same section of books. I'm not exactly easy to miss, but I digress.

She was on the phone and was talking about a few things that I found incredibly interesting. Firstly, I guess a woman that just got baptized last year is absolutely fed up with the org! She gets no encouragement, no help, no nothing and she said to this sister that she's "had it & don't want to be at that Kingdom Hall anymore". I was very happy to hear that she's sick of things. I really liked this woman...she's very sweet and down to earth. But, she's experienced the classic JW bait and switch. They're nice and loving and love bomb you when you're studying. As soon as you get baptized, they're off to love on the next recruit and you're left to fend for yourself. Even the pioneer sister who studied with this woman has left her high and dry (which, I could have predicted because she's the type who will be all helpful and available for her students for anything...until they're no longer students...I seriously think she's just trying to add to her baptism score). But she's had it and I think (from what I overheard) that she stopped going.

The sister who was talking on the phone also said that the congregations are clique-y and that her son has no friends anymore since the congregations split and his only friend was made to go to a different hall. And the young sisters are vicious to her daughter! And her daughter got baptized very young (I think she was 11 or 12) and while she was a zealous little kid, she's getting sick of it and so is the mother. From what this sister was saying, it seems that the area congregations are all experiencing an exodus of people who are just fed up. Quite often I heard her say "REALLY? See, I thought it was just MY hall!!".

It's noteworthy that the two women I'm talking about are both single mothers who are in a racial minority in this area. In other words, prime victims for uppity JW's who are white and have their whole family in the "Truth". I feel sad that they have to feel the same level of shunning that I did over the years I was in (from infancy). But, I took this as a very positive sign that some people are waking up...maybe not fully, but they're seeing things they don't like and are leaving because of it. All it takes is that first nudge. If I had their addresses, I'd send them both a letter with some information about the organization, but I don't know if they're ready for that.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hallelujah!

I experienced some of the same stuff - see my bio.

You write very well, Morbidz.

Syl

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    In other words, prime victims for uppity JW's who are white and have their whole family in the "Truth"....MorbidzBaby

Uppity White Folks..

Will Steal your Chicken!

...................... ...OUTLAW

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

...................... ...OUTLAW

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Syl~ Thanks for the compliment... I do write some when I have spare time. Mostly just stuff for myself, but I'm working on a couple of things at the moment that I hope to possibly publish in the future. ETA: I'll have to read your bio. While I hate that others have felt the same rejection I have, it helps to know I wasn't alone in that boat.

OUTLAW~ As always, I'm LMAO

• sinis
    sinis

Why the hell is race being brought into this?

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

sinis~ For the simple fact that I've noticed in congregations that I've been in that minorities in the congregation (i.e. mostly white congregation) are pretty much ignored and thrown to the side. The only consistent friends they have are others who are also in the minority. Maybe it's just in this area and others that I've been in, but it was pretty rare to see a non-white JW family, especially if it's a single mom, be given any sort of genuine attention, help, or affection. I've seen plenty leave the org because of a lack of "give a shit" on the part of the congregation.

I'm white and I've seen it happen time and time again.

• Dune
    Dune

That Uppity White Folks pic with the bucket of KFC made me choke and spew water all over my couch, thanks you bastard.

Personally, of the handful or so whites I interacted with in my district, I never felt like they treated me any differently from anyone else. I heard stories about it happening in congregations in the deep south, but i remember an elder telling us "There is NO racism in God's Organization, sometimes there is just prejudice".

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I'm white and used to go to a congregation with a fairly large mix of ethnicity---but it was still mostly white. I was very close to a young black woman---like a daughter---and I found myself running interference for her constantly. I really resented it. She took it good naturedly. Still it was wrong. She was always counciled on her speech by "mature" sisters--(although she had a tendency to slip into some slang her speech was just fine!) Then when she got a traditionally African American hair style, they tried to get ME to council her! NO WAY. She's cute as a button and the style was not extreme IF YOU WERE BLACK. Jerks. They wanted to to shoot for a traditional white style and were sooooo happy when she straightened it again and wore it like them. I suspect they got to her and made her feel bad. It was endless. I was much more irritated than she, but I think it was because being white, I may have sensed the subtle racism. She expected the best from everyone and I think she really didn't pick up on all of the "code" words. But then again, maybe she was used to it and took it in stride. I was appalled. I even heard one sister comment on her dancing at a wedding--said she looked TRIBAL. God I hated their hypocrisy.

NC

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I was raised to be colour blind and have no issue with dealing with any colour.

But it was an eye opener to go to the States as a Witness. We stayed with a black bro and sister who were the most lovely people, middle class, nothing wrong with them as far as I could see, yet they told stories of racism against them in the congregation. And this wasn't Alabama or Georgia - this was in San Diego, a cosmopolitan city on the west coast!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit