No Speaka Da English? No Live In England!

by Englishman 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

One more thing, my post does NOT mean immigrants are absolved of responsibility. If you decide to avoid learning a new language, then you will NOT prosper, legally of course.

If your language is more important than education and immersion, then, you should be FREE to exercise that choice, However, do not expect the "streets to be paved with gold". Expect a labor related profession.

• Earnest
    Earnest
    The home secretary, David Blunkett, today unveiled plans for compulsory citizenship exams.

Englishman,

Thank you for yet another thought-provoking post. A friend of mine who is a lecturer at a local University recently told me that there has been a great emphasis on training teachers to teach citizenship. It seems this is going to be the new buzz word and will receive funding at the expense of the more mundane subjects.

Having spent my school years in South Africa in the sixties and seventies where citizenship meant being proud of apartheid, I am conscious of how easy it is to use this for political ends. Britain has always been a melting pot and I cannot but feel a sense of sadness as it seems the government is developing an insular and xenophobic policy that caters to man's baser instincts.

Earnest

"Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the frumious Bandersnatch!" - Rev. Charles Dodgson

• fodeja
    fodeja
    If they want their own cultures so bad, then stay where that culture extist. If they want the benifits of living in Britan, then they should accept the whole package.

So, what's British culture then? Queen Elizabeth or Johnny Rotten? WestLife or the Rolling Stones? Lager or Ale? Andy McNab or Rosamunde Pilcher? Tories or Labour? Wales or Scotland? Cricket or football?

If you start judging the "cultural compatibility" of foreigners applying for citizenship, you must draw up a cultural standard and apply it to all citizens.

A bit like the JWs and their pseudo-multiethnicity, isn't it?

f.

• Englishman
    Englishman

MMmmm,

This is the way that I see it. I am keen to buy a property abroad where the indigenous population speak Portuguese. Surely, it is incumbent upon me to learn their language and their customs, is this not THEIR land, if I want to be accepted, should I not learn how to be a good guest in their country? Isn't this just a normal courtesy? If I choose to go there, what right have I to insist that they accept the way I am here?

Englishman.

Truth exists;only falsehood has to be invented. -Georges Braque

• Earnest
    Earnest

Englishman,

I thought you would be interested in this report from The Daily Telegraph of Wednesday, March 6, page 18 :

Austria sets exams for foreigners

The Austrian government has confirmed plans to force foreigners from outside the European Union to learn German or face expulsion.
    By the end of the year, all non-EU citizens who have entered the country since Jan 1, 1998, will have to take at least 100 hours of language tuition and pass an exam.

Perhaps we can learn something from that! Just nobody mention the war.

Earnest

"Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the frumious Bandersnatch!" - Rev. Charles Dodgson.

• lurk
    lurk

but not the old ppl it shouldnt be the same for themsome old ppl are t old to learn they wouldnt cope with a new language
    maybe they cant vote etc but that shouldnt stop them from coming here.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I actually think that if there are not enough natural inducements to learn the common language of a country, and you have to introduce linguistic requirements, then it is a clear indication EITHER that your society does not allow immigrants to intergrate properly, or that the imigrants are willfully isolating themselves from society for their own cultural reasons (say, religious).

If an immigrant knows he won't be accepted easily into the main-run of society due to his background, and that maybe he can do better just mixing with his 'own kind', he won't have to be fully proficient in the common language of the country.

If this happens IT IS THE COUNTRIES FAULT. Making a law to force the immigrant to learn the common language won't remove the factors that make him feel like he's better of mixing with his own kind. What has to happen is positive action to make the immigrant community feel part of their adopted country.

On the other hand, if an immigrant group is deliberately isolating themselves for cultural reasons, then I think it is THE IMMIGRANTS FAULT. It also means that, in addition to not speaking the language, children growing up in that environment will not be bought up the same way as their contemporaries in the larger surrounding culture, which can often mean they are sexually disadvantaged as well as linguistically disenfranchised. I think that is as bad as an immigrant community feeling so discriminated against they elect not to take part in their surrounding culture.

Essentially, making the immigrant feel it is to his advantage to learn the common language works, and will seldom require legislation or compulsion.

One also has to recognise that sometimes fluency won't happen... yes, maybe a 70 year-old illterate female peasant from Bangladesh COULD learn English fluently, but to impose the same expected standards of fluency upon her as a 25 year-old with a normal modern education is not reasonable.

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit