Question for ex-Bethelites or others in the know: GB members & Bible studies

by sir82 15 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

At a recent circuit event, one of the carefully scripted interviews was with a young lady who had recently moved from NYC. She has been baptized as a JW for about one year.

She made a point, and the interviewer re-emphasized, that her Bible study had been conducted by Geoffrey Jackson (GB member) and later by Mark Noumair (Gilead instructor).

It seems the primary reason for the interview was name-dropping, with perhaps the idea that even "prominent Bethelites" conduct Bible studies "just like we are supposed to". The young lady rambled on about being "grateful for their patience" or some such. She also mentioned that she was "still impressed" by the local elders in her new home (far far away from the ivory towers of Bethel).

She seemed very poised and quite articulate. She didn't mention her occuaption, but it was clear she was viewed as a "trophy".

Anyways, it struck me - how exactly does someone "rate" to get to study with a GB member or someone else with a high degree of visibility & prominence, such as Mark Noumair who gets his name in a WT article on Gilead graduation twice a year?

Clearly these guys don't have time to spend more than a token hour or 2 in real "field service" per month, placing literature, "cultivating" return visits, etc. Someone must be "feeding them" with Bible studies, which allows their field service report to look better.

But who has the task of doing so? How does one determine what kind of study a GB member will get? Clearly, someone like that isn't going to get the typical "problem" study, who is maybe bipolar or is a single mother with an abusive boyfriend and 6 kids under the age of 10.

Who has that task? And what is the criteria for determining who is a "worthy" study for someone so prominent? Any ideas?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Anyways, it struck me - how exactly does someone "rate" to get to study with a GB member or someone else with a high degree of visibility & prominence, such as Mark Noumair who gets his name in a WT article on Gilead graduation twice a year?

Good looking female.

Which BTW, it is a "NO NO" for a male to have a 'study' with a female 'Bible' Student especially a looker.

• Iamallcool
  • Mat
    Mat

Money- probably. Daughter of the Rothchilds or the Bush's. My guess.

• drewcoul
    drewcoul
    Which BTW, it is a "NO NO" for a male to have a 'study' with a female 'Bible' Student especially a looker.

Exactly what I thought. Anytime I had a female that looked like she would progress into a study, I was ALWAYS expected to turn it over to a sister in the hall.

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

Sir82....I met this sister back in 2005 -2006 so she has been in the area for at least 6+ years. It was back then I found out she had studied with Jackson. I'm curious about the time frame...when was Jackson appointed to the GB? Did he continue the study or was it turned over to the Gilead instructor at that time?

• sir82
    sir82

Sending you a PM so I can share details, to see if we are talking about the same one...

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

And just to add, she is an average looking person, married with 2 to 3 kids (can't remember for sure). My gut feeling is that she and her husband had the study prior to Jackson's appointment.

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

@Honesty: haha, you are so right. If any interest is show towards a bible study, males *HAVE* to hand off the study to a female and vice versa (assuming genders are the same). That's hilarious.

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

Sir82, pm sent

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit