Study Conductor Challenge (plus hello!)

by educatingMyself 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bob1999
    bob1999

n 1916 Russell announced in the September 1, 1916 Watch Tower, on page 265, that Armageddon had already started:

In the meantime, our eyes of understanding should discern clearly the Battle of the Great Day of God Almighty now in progress.

In 1917 the Society published Pastor Russell's Sermons, which said on page 676:

The present great war in Europe is the beginning of the Armageddon of the Scriptures.

• Quendi
    Quendi

bookmark

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

give up before you begin................sounds gloomy... but take it from me... all hope is futile

I'd tend to agree with Free@Last, unless you want to undertake this challenge for the hell of it (if sparring with words is your idea of fun).

It takes so much evidence, step-by-step, to disprove any major doctrinal point, and they will "tune you out" before you get far enough to prove anything. All the past facts are buried away in those book of "old lite". They only pay attention to "new lite". All the changes are viewed by JWs as "progress" guided by Holy Spirit. Changes in JW doctring are a GOOD THING compared to Christendom who remains stuck in her ancient traditions (of false doctrine) and refuses to make the necessary changes to be pleasing to God.

This is a sample of the reasoning you can expect.

Good luck. (Oops! Did I say luck?)

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Speaking from my own perspective, as someone who would never have been suspected to ever go apostate, I'd say the parable of the Faithful & Discreet Slave is something to question. If someone would have asked me years ago why the this doctrine is more than a parable and is prophetic in nature, I wouldn't have been able to answer it, and you know what? I wouldn't be able to answer that question now because its indefensible. The WT's literature has never made a reasonable effort to answer why its prophetic as opposed to simply an illustration.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    I'd say the parable of the Faithful & Discreet Slave is something to question

I agree with this. Once you get a JW to realize the fallacy of the GB's claim of being the FDS, they will be far more willing question all other issues. Of course, this is easier said than done.

• educatingMyself
    educatingMyself

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your advice. Perhaps I won't go that far then, lol. I may "bet" instead about restarting study if he could prove it and do it in a joking way so that the apostate alarms don't go off. But there is lots to think about, so I will see.

Also 'alreet' is just saying alright in a funny accent, lol. I forsee it becoming a craze on this forum! ;P

Lastly do people not do those deprogramming kidnappings anymore? haha.

• out4good3
    out4good3

You are wasting your time.

It would be more productive for you to watch grass grow.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Speaking from past experience as a JW-when a study brings up a question, usually a conductor is already thinking of an answer instead of really listening. You could find yourself beating your head againsta a wall, and become frustrated.

Only if you are really in it for helping someone out of the organization do I advise taking this on. It is a loooooong-term project, with possibly no results other than the person accusing you eventually of being apostate.

Please, if you have something better to do,.......

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Most jw don't remember events that the WTS came up with about 1975 beside anything earlier. Therefore it is extremely difficult to convince a jw that what they believe is wrong. They are taught that loyalty to God, Jesus, and the Governing Body is critical.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Hello!

Good luck trying to get them to think.

1914 is significant based on 607 BCE. What historical evidence confirms Babylon's destruction of Jerusalem in 607? None. It happened in 586/7. Russell got it wrong over 100 years ago and JWs are still getting it wrong. If it's such a big deal that Christmas shouldn't be celebrated because the encyclopedia says that Jesus wasn't born in December, 1914 also needs to be tossed out because the encyclopedia says that Jerusalem was not destroyed in 607. As JWs used to use the illustration, you wouldn't drink the water even if there was just a little bit of poison in it. 1914/607 is some of that poison.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit