A Typical Witnessing Letter from JW Family

by mummatron 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• mummatron
    mummatron

Thought I'd share this as this is a typical example of the kind of letters I get very occasionally from my JW family. In this instance it was sent as my daughter had spent some time in hospital. Note, very little information in terms of family news. The majority of it is used as a preaching opportunity.

Dear, M*** & Mummatron, G***** & little S*****,

I'm sorry I haven't written to you for some time. Have had a very bad winter healthwise, pleurisy, a complication of a series of chest infections. We did get to Malta for 2 separate trips but had to cut the November one short due to my ill health.

The Feb/March trip was very interesting as we were there when the Libyan exodus was on, thousands of them pouring into Malta which is very near, hundreds were accomodated in our Hotel en route to their own countries & so we were able to talk to them & place much of our literature.

S***** (& all of you) are in my prayers daily, S***** particularly at this time - Mummatron's Dad & Mummatron's Mum are keeping us up to date with her progress.

Am enclosing a tract & hope you will read it - the World is falling apart & we all need a hope for the future. I'm sure you do for, not only yourselves, but your 2 children (my little great grandchildren).

Very much love from Gran & Step-Granpa xxxx

The enclosed tract was 'Life in a Peaceful New World'. I was at the Convention in '87 when they were first released and must have placed hundreds of them during my remaining 12 years in the borg.

I wish I could have a 'normal' relationship with my family...

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Oy vey... I think I'd take it as a personal insult if I ever got a letter from a family member that contained a TRACT!

• blondie
    blondie

Morbidzbaby, I agree; they have to hide behind the WTS words because only theirs are from God, not!

BTW, interesting lipstick application.........

• cult classic
    cult classic

My mil died last year. About a month ago we received a letter w/ a WT enclosed (my fil mailed it to us) from her. It was highlighted with points for us to consider about Jehovah's goodness or something like that. We just tossed it w/o reading the WT or the letter. Even on her deathbed, she was worried about us not going to the meetings...

• StephanieH
    StephanieH

I can understand how you feel on this one. When I left back in Dec. up until a month or so ago my father would call me every Saturday and try to get me to talk to him and the elders. After months of this it only made it harder for me to let go. I finally started ignoring the calls, but he wouldn't give up. So I started answering once again, but I began throwing information of my own in each time, he didn't know how to respond when I put my new education to good use.

As much as I miss my family, even thought they were never much of one, I know it is best for now to keep my distance. Even though I am still freshly out of the JW's I know for my own good not to put up with the constant taunting. I made my father and other family members agree that if they call it is strictly buisness and if they start preaching I hang up. They haven't called since the elders finally took the hint and disfellowshiped me after six months.

I has started to get easier already. And as a new comer to JWN the few days I've been here have helped me already. Now at least I know that, even though the JW cult turned my family and 'friends' away, I am not alone. Neither are you!

I have found also that family isn't always who shares your blood, or who you have grown up around.. We, in many ways, can creat new families. I have started mine with friends who have taken me in. I know our real families can never be replaced, but I would rather let mine go and move forward with life making my own full of people who accept and love me for who I am.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

You have my complete sympathies. That would drive me batty. I am fortunate enough that my family never talks about the borg with me around. The only evidence that they are still in is the Watchtower and Awake she startegically places on the coffee tables whenever I come over.

• godrulz
    godrulz

Not to defend their tactlessness, but if what they believe is really true (and they believe this even though it is false), then it is hard to blame them for being concerned and trying to draw loved ones back to the mother ship. I would not necessarily question their good motives, but it is just unfortunate that it does not come across as sincere and loving, just nagging and preachy. When I was a rebellious teen, my godly Grandmother tried the same things and I just deflected them or remained turned off/hard. Now I am thankful for her prayerful influence in helping me get on track when I was 18. Paul persuaded men when and how he could. Having a concerned family member or friend share the most important thing with us is not blameworthy. The whole problem is with the false JW teaching, not with trying to share it as something we need to hear if it was true. I am also not appreciated for trying to share the real Jesus, but even Jesus and Paul (Truth incarnate and messenger of God) experienced great rejection.

Fault the WT, not the concerned family members who are victims of it? Don't fault Jesus and the Bible even if we are imperfect in sharing Him/it.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Oy vey... I think I'd take it as a personal insult if I ever got a letter from a family member that contained a TRACT!

I think you just have to smile and write it off as an older person (she signed it "Gran") who is trying to find a way to witness to you, believing that she is helping you. It's just what they've been told to do for years. At this stage of her life, she needs to continue on believing in it, as it is all she has hope in for anything better. Be kind. Thank her for her letter of concern. Ask all these folks here whose Granny won't even speak to themj!

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Wow, mummatron. I thought I was the only one getting letters with nothing but preaching and literature. I just wrote my aunt back to say that while I enjoy getting letters from her, I don't need to be preached at. We'll see how that goes.

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

My family hasn't talked to me in years. Honestly, I think I'm pretty happy about that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit