Why is the Society in England so scared of The Data Protection Act.

by truthseeker1969 26 Replies latest jw friends

• cantleave
    cantleave

When did S8's come back?

• wobble
    wobble

The poster who obtained his record from London Bethel was "Millions", he went on to You-tube with a Vid where he showed what they sent him, his exam results from MS school etc.

The interesting thing was that they did not admit to holding any info. on his J.C and DFing, but as you Elders know, they have that information, and so they lie even in their disclosure, by witholding some of what they have on you.

• truthseeker1969
    truthseeker1969

Wobble from what I learned just a few hours ago, the society does not have any details other than a record of disjello-whipping and that they can not longer hold notes about the JC or hold them as too many elders put their worldly view of things in them.

This would open them to lawsuits and would expose them for being back biters.

What I have noticed is how angry the governing body is at the moment and knowing that they refer to apostates as mentally diseased which is certainly not something either Jesus or Jehovah would use.

Open minded yes but to me if being open minded and willing to stand for rights equals being mentally diseased then hey show me the institution!

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

This is very interesting.

It's only three months ago that my record card was created. I was still in cloud cuckoo land, walking into this pernicious organisation with head in the air and eyes wide shut, brain completely fuddled. Hypnotised. I remember the elder showing me my card, asking for my birth details and getting me to sign something while he murmured about the Data Protection Act. I glazed over rather as one does when the words "Health and Safety" are spoken. That may sound weird to those overseas but everyone in the UK will know what I mean!.

jwfacts, how I wish I'd discovered your website before I got in that far. Though maybe I wouldn't have seen it properly. Anyway, I've just been reading how you finally extricated your records via Australian law. It's an object lesson in careful persistence.

truthseeker 1969, thank you very much for creating this thread.

What I have noticed is how angry the governing body is at the moment and knowing that they refer to apostates as mentally diseased which is certainly not something either Jesus or Jehovah would use.

I'm trying to clue myself in on everything. Please can you tell me where they refer to apostates as mentally dieased?

I found an old thread on this same subject.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/2863/1/UK-Data-Protection-Act

• truthseeker1969
    truthseeker1969

Charliko I will find the article for you and you are welcome for the thread.

I have been out 17 years disfellowhipped in ansentia for something I did not even do but refused to meet with the elders and justify the accusation period.

I like the congregation I was in infact love them all to this day but when you accuse me of something it was obvious I did not do but prefer hearsay then it is time to go.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

7/15/11 Watchtower, page 16, paragraph 6 is the "mentally diseased" quote. It references 1Tim.6:3,4

• wobble
    wobble

So. if someone was DF'd for paedophilia, how are they tracked from then on ? presumably the local Elders are the only ones that know, and they are responsible for seeing the offender doesn't just move to the other end of the country and join a Congregation there.

Like that's going to happen.

So London Bethel decides to no longer hold the dirt on everyone like they used to, and comply with data protection, yet child protection goes out of the window.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I have a couple of questions. What is an S8? And do Americans have any way to get their records?

Thanks,

NC

• jgnat
    jgnat

It's nice to see an article on the Data Protection Act in the UK. Understanding privacy legislation is part of my job. I've always thought compliance to this sort of legislation would be difficult for the WTBTS.

There's similar requirements in Canada, under the Privacy Act. There are provincial Acts as well. In a nutshell, organizations must protect personal information that they collect about people. The information belongs to the person, so they can ask to see what an organization has on them at any time. There are agencies that enforce the Act, so you can use them as an advocate if you are not satisfied with an answer.

I don't think US laws are as comprehensive. There is an Act that controls the private information that is collected by Federal agencies (Privacy Act 1974). The HIPAA Privacy Rule covers health records. Ex-JW's in the US might call the Hospital Liaison Committee to account if they attempt to access their personal health information.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    When did S8's come back?

Some weeks ago they just appeared. No announcement, just a pile next to the reports.

They still have the original print date on them, 10/53, but they are cropped more so they have narrower margins.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit