Concerning your behaviour towards others

by ixthis 37 Replies latest jw friends

• ixthis
    ixthis

Wikipedia has an article on Rudeness.

Rudeness (also called impudence or effrontery) is a display of disrespectfulness by not complying with the social "laws" or etiquette of a group or culture. These laws have been established as the essential boundaries of normally accepted behavior.

I have noticed a high level of rudeness in this forum ... I was wondering the WHY.

• What do others consider "rude" behaviour wrt this forum?
    • Do others have any thoughts about the obvious rude behaviour?
    • Do others have any thoughts if the aggressively rude posters have this personality as a by-product of WatchTower indoctrination?
    • If No, what could be causing this aggresion?

Over to the forum.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I've been meaning to get at you IxThis, but as my life is pretty crazy at this moment it slipped by me. I want to say thank you for reaching out to me not to long ago. I mean that sincerely, thank you. I know I can be rude and aggresive, and I even recall a girl I grew up with telling me that someday somebody was gonna kick my a$$. I replied that it wouldn't be her or anybody in her family. That was before I even went to Middle School. You seen through the charade though, and I just want to say thank you for reaching out to me. I appreciated that. G'night IxThis.

• ixthis
    ixthis

awwwwww .... you are sweet with your post.

Thank you.

• talesin
    talesin

re: rudeness

I think it has more to do with the fact that we are online, and nobody has to be face-to-face. In RL, we would never talk to folks that way, but online, there are few consequences for our actions.

Also, many people are disempowered, and take out their frustrations by being assholes... lol, there's no other way to say it!

BUT they are in a lot of pain, so it's best to overlook it (and I'm happy that people have forgiven me for my asshole-ness at times, heheh)

Just don't let anyone 'get to you', and life online will be very happy. :D

t

* been there, bought the tee-shirt, didn't like it Klass *

• mamalove
    mamalove

Who knows.....maybe someone who actually feels they are an ass can come on and explain the whole thought process they go through.

• flipper
    flipper

IXTHIS- You may have noticed a " high level of rudeness " on this forum - however I respectfully disagree. The majority of posters are very classy, respectful, and concerned about newer members who join up. If you go on most introductory threads where a new member is introducing himself or herself - have you noticed how WELCOMING everybody is here ? Perhaps you are making this thread just on one or two incidences you noticed.

People are under a hell of a lot of stress these days. We have people on this board who may have been disowned by JW family , friends , and former associates and that type of alienation does not bode well for good mental or emotional health. Perhaps some are going through emotional difficulties that you aren't aware of. Or may be physically dying or in a vegetative state either physically or mentally. Some can't cope so they may come on here and vent and take their aggressions out in an unkind way , yes, perhaps mistakenly - but that's life in the real world ! It's up to us to try to understand what makes that particular person that way. We could try private mailing the person to see what is bothering him or her.

Many here have suffered injustices in the JW religion and still suffer years after they leave. It does cause some to get cranky and pissed off. Does that justify taking anger out to someone innocent ? No , of course not. But believe me, I've been here over 4 years on the board and I'd say 90 % or more of the posters DO get along very well in social skills on the board. That's a much higher rate than you'd find at any JW Kingdom Hall these days. I remember a lot more backbiting when I used to attend. This place is a piece of cake compared to the JW congregations !

Try to be more understanding , don't take it so personally or too seriously . Don't judge the entire board based on the limited negative experiences displayed by just a few. Just my 2 cents. Welcome to the board by the way ! Stay positive ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• AGuest
    AGuest

Your title intrigued me, dear ixthis (peace to you!). I thought, hmmmm... isn't THAT kinda rude? but that I should take a look before jumping to any particular conclusion (which is often the case with threads here). I see what you mean, now, though.

Anyway, I have to say that my perception and experience here with regard to both rudeness AND politeness is that it's a kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Depends on what you post.... to whom... and who responds.

My $0.02... and, again, peace to you!

SA, on her own...

• ixthis
    ixthis

@flipper - this thread is not "personal" (ie I am not pretending to be a victim of "agrression" but observing that it does exist). In my third bullet point, Do others have any thoughts if the aggressively rude posters have this personality as a by-product of WatchTower indoctrination?

I asks the question that many of these people have been possibly affected? ... of course, if you know me (through other posts) you will know that my boyfriend was a JW and left and he has talked to me about the entire thing. I do have compassion for the high level of depression that exists and a lot of other matters associated with being involved with them.

Likewise, i have seen many nice people but overall this board does have a trend to lean more towards extreme cases of bad behaviour, if you like, towards others.

I think one of the earlier posters (talesin) stated it nicely, people hide behind the computer somewhat.

@AGuest - I like your $0.02 worth ... again, I do take a look before jumping into anything but I was raelly shocked when certain posters replied to a well meaning poster (maksym) on another thread and referred to him as an "idiot" ... I mean, really? Was that necessary?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Ixthis, are you the board's hall monitor or something?

• ixthis
    ixthis

Broken Promises, no ... are you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit