birthday gifts? newbie celebrator here...

by 2pink 10 Replies latest jw friends

• 2pink
    2pink

mine is next week and this will be the second i've celebrated. when ppl ask me what i want, i feel awkward....what is an appropriate thing to ask for? it's all so foreign. i'm just curious mostly, but because i honestly feel like i need nothing, i've been asking ppl to donate to my 2 favorite charities penniesforpeace.org or reecesrainbow.org is that an ok request? i'm so new at this, i dont know where to start!

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I'm new to it too. Asking for people to contribute to worthy causes is nice. I gotta say I got 3 different arangements of lovely flowers for mine, and that made me pretty happy!

• umadevi
    umadevi

Donating to charities is a wonderful way to celebrate your birthday but get something for yourself too.... to make up for all the birthdays that went unnoticed...

By the way advance Birthday Wishes 2Pink! Have a blast..

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

If you actually want something for yourself along with the charities, which is a very nice thing, you can always say gift cards are okay. In conversations, if you drop the name of places you like to shop, people will pick up on that.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I know how awkward it is celebrating birthdays, it's something to get used to.

Donations to causes is a beautiful idea, but it's ok to ask for something for yourself. Most ppl give gifts in the $20-50 range - candles, purfume, small ornament, gift card to a fave shop, cd or dvd, things like that.

Happy birthday for next week!

• nugget
    nugget

Have a super birthday. Donations are a very caring and thoughtful idea. People like to see the pleasure they give you when you open a gift so allowing for that is a good idea too.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I usually will tell them what I want - I always stress though, not to go overboard. My friends spoil me and I spoil them. It is so great to receive gift but to give them too. They wouldn't ask if they didn't want to give.

It only feels awkward because you're new to celebrating.

Mention wines/cds/your fav chocs (my new thing is baking tins or anything related)

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Happy Birthday 2pink. I like our idea. My wife ask me the same thing. I don't need anything so I told her a card and cake. Unlike you I could not look past me. So thumbs up to you for such a great idea. Totally ADD

• undercover
    undercover

At my age, I don't really care for gifts or the all the trappings surrounding the day. I just tell friends that they can buy me a drink and I'll reciprocate on their b-day.

What's new to me is writing thank you cards for the occasional gift I do receive. My last b-day, I did recieve gifts out of the blue. It was an unusual thing for me, having grown up never receiving gifts. I had to make a concentrated effort to remember to buy thank you cards, note and sign them, find addresses and mail them. Too much damn work. Just buy me a drink...

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I think as you get older gifts are not essential. I tell people I don't want presents; just their presence. (Actually, I've never said it in quite such a corny way.) Often they just bring a bottle of wine if they feel they need to bring a gift.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit