I was at the SM last night.....

by VioletAnai 18 Replies latest jw friends

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

They were discussing Sodom and Gomorah and how if Jah had found a few righteous men in that city, both cities would be spared. Not a one was found. However, they mention Jah protected Lot and his daughters, as they were faithful and living nearby. So they run off, S&G is destroyed, Lot's wife longs for the things lost, looks back, turns into a condiment and blows away. Lot and his 'righteous' daughters flee to the hills. When they get there, the girls proceed to get daddy drunk and then, try to get themselves preggies. Now in my book, this amounts to rape. Yet they were judged righteous in recent events.

My question is: If Jah has the skill of foresight, wouldn't he have anticipated these girls actions. If they truly were righteous, how could they even think this way. Am I missing something? What about the age old excuse for pologamy and incest in the ancient world: The nation had to survive, so therefore, it was allowed.

Any thoughts.

• DanielHaase
    DanielHaase

I thought it was interesting in that story that Lot was spared although he offered up his virgin daughters to the mob..Sick.

• Jourles
    Jourles
    Lot was spared although he offered up his virgin daughters to the mob

I always thought about that and wondered if they got Lot drunk on purpose and then got pregnant to defy their father for what he tried to do to them but their plan backfired.

Reminds me of a riddle: Two men were brothers. Their father was their grandfather. Who were these two brothers?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Jourles,

The answer to your riddle must be MOAB and AMMON. They were the son's of Lot's daughters, thus being his grandchildren. Simultaneously, they were Lot's own sons. Sheesh what a wonderful bible story, makes you want to go back to "the troof", eh???

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• mommy
    mommy
    My question is: If Jah has the skill of foresight, wouldn't he have anticipated these girls actions. If they truly were righteous, how could they even think this way

Don't forget he also deemed Lot's wife righteous, she didn't even make it to the safety of the hills. So then Lot and his girls are out there and the first night he is "raped." What does a fine upstanding righteous person do? He allows himself to be drunk again the following night, and repeats the process with his other daughter. So what do we have here? Four out of four deemed righteous by god, yet all of them batted out. Hmmm makes you wonder how many righteous ones there were that god misjudged and ended up dieing?
    wendy

When I leave, you will know I have been here

• Derrick
    Derrick
    If they truly were righteous, how could they even think this way. Am I missing something?

Barbaric as it sounds by our lofty modern-day standards, VioletAnai, the girls were doing what they had to. Coarse as it sounds, what else can be said? There were no men available to provide offspring to allow the nation to survive, as you subsequently pointed out. Indeed, "desperate times call for desperate measures" according to the old cliche. ;-)

At the risk of sounding crude, the girls were desperate, and most likely uncomfortable in knowing they might be "raping" their dear old dad. But they made the sacrifice of getting him drunk and then getting him to have sex with them for a very good reason. Not getting into that reason (this would require an exhaustive discussion of the surrounding scriptures), suffice it to say their intentions were purely to have offspring for future generations. Therefore, the girls were not evil as were those destroyed in the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to answer your concern there.

What about the age old excuse for pologamy and incest in the ancient world: The nation had to survive, so therefore, it was allowed.
    There you go. You superficially answered your own question of "why?" and scratched the surface of a deep subject. Not the answer one wants to hear, but it touches upon a pragmatic and reality-based reason. Obviously there's a lot more historical breadth there, if you're willing to dig down far enough to find it. The reasons for these girls actions are based upon the times they lived in, the level of their moral and spiritual awareness (as opposed to modern-times where we are far more advanced in these areas), everything was different back then.

In closing, one really appreciates the patience and loving-kindness of Jehovah over his people in the dark ages of human history, when reading these accounts and observing Jehovah's actions in response.

Derrick

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
    And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
    And Eternity in an hour.

-- William Blake (Auguries of Innocence)

• Kep
    Kep

How can God allow this to happen? Because as Derrick says, he shows patience and loving-kindness over his people?
    Does that mean God has seperate rules for his people according to how his will is defined by them?
    God has outlined his basic principles as these girls would be well aware of that, and yet they violated them in the cause of God’s purpose.
    I cant help but compare their situation to the Borg .
    Twisting peoples reasoning to fit their time frame, then changing it again and again, and yet continually saying it is according to God’s Purpose.
    Just as Abraham and Sarah waited for such a long time before producing their own offspring, why then could the daughters of Lot not do the same. God would have provided for them if it was his purpose surely.
    If God showed such patience and long-suffering then, for those who defy his standards so clearly, does he do the same today?
    So as your last comments show VioletAnai, where is God’s foresight? Those girls should have developed and dsiplayed the fruits of patience and long-suffering in imitation of their God.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Violet

From the title i thought maybe you were checking out sado masochism. What lot and his crew did is about on the same level. I guess god should really have killed him, if he wanted to give perfect justice, and not condone incest.

SS

• Pureheart
    Pureheart

The Ammonites and Moabites were descendants of Lot. Their origin needed to be revealed. The Bible doesn’t seem to tell all of the good stuff and leave out the bad.

Pureheart

• LDH
    LDH

UMMMMMM am I the only one who wonders how a drunk old man can get a stiffy and get raped?

Lisa
    Knows what happens to drunk men Class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit