Atheist reasoning

by d 36 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

Low-key, I just won't apologize for what I said. I can't, because its true. Christ shows us the Truth about His Father. Christ is Truth.

So, same sex marriage is wrong because the Bible says so, but your God never committed genocide because that scripture was mis-translated or taken out of context? How convenient for you.

Who are you talking to? I never said what you say above. So far as I know, (or at least what we have as written), Christ never said anything about same-sex marriage, and he did not condemn homosexuals anywhere. He didn't even speak of that so-called 'issue'. He did speak of mercy though, forgiveness, not judging, and of removing the plank in one's own eye before thinking to remove the splinter in their eye. He did speak of doing unto others as you would have them do unto you, and of loving others as He loved us.

How do we know that the scriptures that deal with homosexuality weren't mis-translated or taken out of context? Fair question.

Fair question, for certain.

My answer is we don't. They may very well have been mistranslated or taken out of context. Which is why I stated that I look to Christ over and above anything else - showing those things He taught as mercy, forgiveness, love and compassion. Love foremost in those.

Peace,

Tammy

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I'm not asking for an apology, nor am I looking for an argument.

Just voicing my opinion that Christians tend to pick and choose which scriptures support their ideas and agendas. The less favorable scriptures get swept under the rug or decried as mistranslated or taken out of context.Take Jesus' miracles, for example. Would it not be reasonable to think that perhaps some of these parables were exaggerated, sensationalized, or even taken out of context?

The Bible is full of contradictions as well as stories that would suggest that God is a hateful, evil, jealous, childish tyrant. I have observed that those who follow the Bible like to excuse their prejudices and behaviors with "because the Bible says so". If that's the case, then why not take it as a whole, following everything it says, rather than just following the teachings that are "cozy"?

I'm not after you as an individual, tec. If you want to be a Christian, so be it. I firmly hold fast to the idea of the right to freedom of religion. I guess I'm just trying to make a different point.

• tec
    tec
    I'm not after you as an individual, tec.

I didn't think you were... hence my question about who you were talking to. The reason I asked was because you weren't actually speaking to me as an individual, because I don't hold to what you think Christians claim (and to be honest, what most Christians actually DO claim - although not everyone who claims to be christian actually is one) about homosexuality.

And it has been a long time since I have used 'because the bible says so' as an excuse for anything.

The last time I think I said it, that I fully regret, was when a homosexual guy asked me what I thought about homosexuality. I was deep into my jw study, and talking about God with anyone who would listen, and he asked if homosexuality is a sin in Christianity and with God. I kind of looked away (I'm sure you can picture the aversion and half-apologetic tone) and nodded, 'Its in the bible.'

I have yet to touch base with him since then, but I should... to apologize. Of the two of us, I am the one who sinned.

Just voicing my opinion that Christians tend to pick and choose which scriptures support their ideas and agendas. The less favorable scriptures get swept under the rug or decried as mistranslated or taken out of context.

I don't pick and choose which scriptures support my ideas and agendas. I have no agenda. But as a CHRISTian, I follow Christ. Not the bible, not Paul, not a pope, not a priest, not another person. Isn't that what a Christian or disciple of Christ should do? Even Paul said not to follow him, or Peter, or anyone other than Christ. So if anyone or anything contradicts Christ or what He taught about His Father... then as someone who follows Christ, well... it seems only right, that I would go with what Christ said or did or taught on the matter. Seems to me that anything else WOULD be picking and choosing what I want to believe. Because we all know that the scriptures and doctrines can be twisted to suit a particular agenda or idea of whoever has one to push.

So I understand your point, and I know that what you say happens, does indeed happen. But you can't paint more than two billion people with the same brush just because they all claim the same title. They do not all follow or represent Christ.

Peace,

Tammy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Everyone tends to pick and choose the parts of ANYTHING that conforms to what they believe, that is nothing new.

The bible is not and never has been a "stagnant" work, it has "contridictions" and it has Issues simply because it was written by man, inspired or not, it was written by falliable Man and the bible itself ( the writers I mean, not the book) gives warnings that the scribes wrotes what they thought and that didn' always mesh with God's will ( Jeremiah and Jesus accuse them of such) and the writers make it clear that we must TEST all that we are taught ( as per John for example).

The bible is but ONE way God is revealed to Us, the other ways are the universe He created and His Divine Word, Christ.

The bible is like a finger, pointing the way to God, don't concentrate on the finger of you miss all the heavenly Glory.

It is a Christians duty to analyse and debate and discuss the writings of Man and to do that while being led by the HS.

If a passage makes our God to be a maniacla tyrant we either accept that verse and that God is that way and then reconcile that will ALL the veres that show God NOT to be that way, OR we say that the passage is in "error" and find out if and why that is.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Oh dear. Tec, PSac....I .... I'm not even gonna say anything this time.

How are both of you doing? Well, I hope.

• d
    d

People do pick and choose what parts of the bible to follow.

• d
    d

Here is the orignal video I wanted to post.THis video talka reasons of why God is not love.

http://youtu.be/UoV9_P3oiJkH

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Fachizell my nizzle !

West side !! ;)

People do pick and choose what parts of the bible to follow.

Of course we do.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Good deal dude. I am apparently hanging out in Manhattan with nothing to do and an expense account. I am going to help my buddy go shopping for a shirt to get married in later. and maybe buy some cufflinks

• tec
    tec
    Oh dear. Tec, PSac....I .... I'm not even gonna say anything this time.

Its our dazzling, sparkling, humungous intellect, isn't it? No, no wait... it is our great humility!

(that was rhetorical, btw... no need to respond to it... really...)

;)

Summer is almost here!!! That means my month long vacation and drive across the country is also almost here! So excited.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit