How might one convince a Jehovah's Witness to read "Crisis of Conscience?"

by Nickolas 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I'm well into the book, can't put it down, it is just so fascinating and so utterly devastating to the credibility of the WTBTS. I suspect that any Jehovah's Witness who has a modicum of self respect and intelligence could not but finish the book a step or more on the path to emancipation from this awful, people destroying religion.

I really want my wife to read this book but I anticipate that she will refuse on the basis of it having been banned by the Society as the worst kind of apostate literature. I am genuinely saddened that she will not grant me the same kind of trust and respect she gives so lovingly to her Watchtower masters and I will doubtless say this to her when she turns down my invitation. But is there any way I can better wrap it up before I present it, in such a way that she just might accept?

Please, be generous with your advice. I've been at this for 33 years and my resolve is wearing thin.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I was a jw, when i read it. The way it was introed to me was by a bro who had a long rep in the org. He was very intelligent, although somewhat tarnished due to having wandered close to the edge of the flock for having learned a bit too much about the deeper things of the bible and posing a difficult question at times. He was personable and a very good public speaker.

While i was a bit cautious around him, i was nevertheless friendly w him, as i never found him to be obnoxious. He introed the book to me as one written by one who used to be gb member. What got me interested in reading it was when he stated that in the book were diescriptions of actual gb meetings. The prospect of getting a view of what went on in there got my interest. As well, it was the very descriptions of those meetings that showed me that yhwh was not directing the gb. That realisation set me free.

So basically, it was the appeal of seeing the semisecret, semisacred gb meetings that worked on me. Good luck to you and yours.

S

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I'm interested to see how others respond to this question. In my opinion, I think she would probably see this as a test from satan and see you as a scapegoat for that - witnesses are conditioned very effectively to see things like this in that light and it could create some ugly tension. It's a fine line to tread for you Nick, and I certainly don't envy the position you find yourself in. It would be beyond fabulous for her to say, 'ok I'll read it' and then have the veil come off so you can help her extricate herself from this religion and I hope that's how it happens should you decide to offer her the book to read. I guess that's my cautious optimism coming out. :)

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I'm sure you've tried or thought of most of the angles by now including this one:

• A judge in court needs to hear both sides of a case to render impartial judgement.True?
    • Elders in a JC need to hear both sides of an issue to render correct descisions (sheeesh I know i know!).True?
    • When making any weighty decisions it is always best to have an informed wide view which should include the negatives of the issue, product, or person to come to an informed and rational decision about it. True?

That would be my line of reasoning. How can (or could) we come to rational informed decision to get baptised as JWs if we are NOT allowed to view anything negative about the organisation? It should be a "warts and all" decision and not done based on biased one sided information (actually misinformation) only.

• Alfred
    Alfred

I know I can easily get 2 JWs I know to read this book... The problem is, it's not available in Spanish... Amazon hasn't sold it in years...

I know I can send them the pdf link, but they are really not the kind of JWs that read books on a "Kindle" much less on their computers...

Anyone out there have this book in Spanish? I'm willing to pay top dollar for it... thanks

• Ding
    Ding

"The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life", 1968, p. 13:

"We need to examine, not only what we personally believe, but also what is taught by any religious organization with which we may be associated.... If we are lovers of the truth, there is nothing to fear from such an examination."

• Satanus
    Satanus

I don't think that logic is the correct approach to use on her. Something w some kind of emotional basis would have a better chance of working, imo.

S

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

You're right, use the female approach:

If you dont agree to study the WTS history with me then I'm divorcing you! You have 2 weeks to make your mind up! ...

(My mother did this to my non JW dad to make him study with the JWs.)

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Please, be generous with your advice. I've been at this for 33 years and my resolve is wearing thin.

Haha! Yeah right. From what I can tell , you wouldn't spend 33 years in any endeavor to have it end with white towel from your end of the ring.

I would suggest downloading the PDF of the book and printing out certain parts that you think would have a chance of sneaking past her filter. Maybe try to hide the fact that's from a "big scary apostate book." CoC is beautifly written because it's from Ray Franz's big ole heart; some excerpts from it she may find irresistible.

-Sab

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I would approach it from the angle that the WBTS are not unique in warning their members about "apostate literature". Show her something like this:

What you will find in this essay is the culmination of over 10 years of study and prayer. Everything said about what the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints teaches comes from LDS literature and publications. Nothing is hearsay, and nothing comes from what a Mormon would consider “apostate” literature, since it all comes from actual LDS publications.

http://www.sohmer.net/media/Mormon_letter.pdf

Ask her what the mormons would have to gain from taking the same stance. Then throw in the illustration of the used car salesmen who forbids you to speak to any of his former customers independently and only allows you to get feedback from a list of customers sanctioned by him. Would you buy a car from this person?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit