"we need a support system to make it in thislife"

by finallyfree! 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

then why rock the boat?

I consider that question every time I talk to my parents about the Borg. I have to admit that at some point it became as much for me than for them. It confuses them to hear the truth when it conflicts with their indoctrination, then they are hit with the guilt for even considering what I am saying. They're not going to physically leave the Borg because that's where their "friends" are (though I wouldn't call it much of a "support" system). So why do I keep talking to them about it?

I think at first I really thought and hoped they might leave. Now that I'm sure it isn't happening, my motivation is probably a little more selfish. They sometimes drift into the judgmental JW mode by criticizing my beard or my hair or my wife's tatoo or some other such nonsense that the Borg labels "worldly" and I feel the need to defend myself. They've promised to never shun me but I know how insidious the cult mind control can be and I will not let it get the upper hand in their mind if I can help it. So I keep on hitting them with various Borg flaws. Also, it is only a matter of time before I'm formally DFd, so I want them to be prepared for that and to understand why I'm taking the stand I am. If they don't get it from me, they'll get it from the JW rumor mill.

It seems to me that making JWs uncomfortable is a small price to pay to keep parents in one's life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit