Snowbirds

by snowbird 12 Replies latest social current

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I'm not a big fan of anne Murray but sometimes a song becomes a classic because it just nails it. that song can i have this dance for the rest of my life however overused it might be is just plain beautiful and evokes a timeless feeling. Another song often used at weddings that i like is John Denvers Annie,s Song.

• TD
    TD

"Snowbird" is a term that's been used in the Phoenix metro area (aka The Valley) since the very early 70's as well.

At the time it had a negative flavor -- Most of the people from colder climates who wintered here were very elderly, affluent white retirees. "Snowbird" was what drivers said under their breath when a 90 something with out-of-state plates was going the wrong way on a one-way street, or driving a Chrysler New Yorker at 15mph in a 50mph zone with a signal blinker perpetually on. That may have been a little mean, but those drivers were dangerous to themselves and others.

It got to the point when it was not nice to use the term and "Winter visitors" replaced "Snowbirds" in polite conversation. Things have changed since then though. Phoenix is still notorious for bad driving, but I think everyone does a better job of making sure elderly drivers are physically up to the task before renewing their license.

"Snowbird" has a much more affectionate flavor now.

• talesin
    talesin

Snowy,,, you have a PM :D

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit