Snowbirds

by snowbird 12 Replies latest social current

• snowbird
    snowbird

The good folk from Northern states who come down during the winter months are called snowbirds.

I'm told they like the milder climate and the lower cost of living.

Very nice, friendly people, all of them.

One dear lady from Wisconsin volunteered at my g'son's elementary school.

Though at first they laughed at her funny way of talking, in no time, she had the kids stumbling over themselves to please her.

Snowbirds.

Imagine that.

Syl

• chickpea
    chickpea

very familiar with the term, as i grew up in texas
    but have lived nearly all my adult life in wisconsin

when the kids were younger we drove to texas
    every spring we drove to visit my family and
    believe me, my babies were snowbirds... we
    always went before May because they couldnt
    take the heat

one kiddo made the remark to his auntie
    " hey, you just go out and start the car"
    (instead of removing snow)

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

In Australia, they're called grey nomads - retired older folk who have the freedom to travel to a warmer climate for the winter.

But the reverse is true. They travel north for the winter. Some just travel north and retrace their steps as summer approaches. Or some travel all the way around Australia which takes months but they have fun making friends and seeing our beautiful country.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Snowbirds where I'm from.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Trust Miz to lower the tone of the thread

• talesin
    talesin

No disrespect to you, Snowbird....

Believe it OR NOT,,, I don't care if others want to disagree. *sticks out tongue at the instigators*

But originally, the term "snowbird" came from Canadians retiring to Florida in droves in the 70s, and it's based on this song. It was a megahit (one of many, just check out her and Glen Campbell), and Anne Murray goes down in history as one of the top-selling artists of her time (home-town gurl!!!!!!!!!!!).

It's not my taste in music,,, I lean more towards Mo'town, Rock and rap, but this is the REAL DOPE.

I am woman,,,, HEAR ME ROAR!

(oh, and btw, to the "nasties", I won't be back to this thread)

Just finished watching the hockey game, and I am full of piss and vinegar! LOLOLOL (and yes, I am SOBER)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2VYP0FCAUE

If I kill this thread, so be it.

*Sick of having interesting discussions spoiled by meanies, and I've only been back a few weeks.*

t

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Anne Murray was huge back in the 70s.

Every wedding I went to had that song "Can I Have this Dance (For the Rest of Our Life)" as their wedding waltz.

*completely baffled by what Talesin is carrying on about*

• sizemik
    sizemik
    *completely baffled by what Talesin is carrying on about*

You and me both BP . . . I'm not sure who the nasties are?

Anyways . . . being a child of the sixties and a youth of the seventies . . . I just loved these simple love/pop songs of the era.

Of course we wouldn't always admit to it (rock being the "cool" genre) . . . but I loved Anne Murray, Glen Campbell, James Taylor, Carpenters, Dawn, Frankie Valley, Bread, etc etc etc. When listening to 'snowbird' I could remember the lyrics verbatem! I guess there's some sentimentality attached to a lot of them now . . . but I just love hearing them again . . . they are great songs.

It's interesting to hear of the connection "snowbird"

• snowbird
    snowbird

I love Anne Murray.

I love snowbirds - avian and human.

Miz, I'm afraid to ask ...

Talesin, what's the matter, honey chile?

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

Chickie and BP, thanks for responding.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit