Should Christians Own Dogs as Pets?

by undercover 19 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

Using the WT's "birthday logic" (only two mentions of b-days in the bible, both negative, which means "true Christians" do not celebrate them) I wrote this faux WT article about whether true servants of the WT god should really own dogs... I'm no SD-7, but I tried....

Animals are truly a gift from Jehovah as the creator of all things. Animals have, since the creation, served as workers and companions for man. The first man Adam was tasked with naming of all the animals. And man was also charged with taking care of the animals as God purposed in Genesis, "have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and all the earth and every moving animal that is upon the earth" (Genesis 1:26)

Even as man is charged with taking care of the animals a proper balance should be kept between caring for them and choosing certain ones as pets. Pets become members of the family and in some cases, are the only family in the household. Though discussion of keeping a balanced view of pets in general is the source of another article, care should be taken when choosing the right pet for you or your family.

In the modern world, the number one pet of choice in most nations is no doubt the dog. Why, the dog is even called "man's best friend". While dogs are indeed loyal by nature and can be trained to do many chores lightening the work load of farmers and shedards, some thought should be given as to how the Bible views the dog.

As one Bible historian put it, "References to the dog, both in the [Heberw Scriptures] and the [Greek Scriptures] are usually of a contemptous character. A dog, and especially a dead dog, is used as a figure of insignificance." There are over 20 references to dogs and as noted by the historian, they generally are in a negative connotation. Take for instance the following examples of scriptures:

So the Philistine said to David: “Am I a dog, so that you are coming to me with staves?” With that the Philistine called down evil upon David by his gods - 1 Samuel 17: 43

Upon that Hazael said: “What is your servant, [who is a mere] dog, that he could do this great thing?” But Elisha said: “Jehovah has shown me you as king over Syria.” - 2 Kings 8: 13

Just like a dog returning to its vomit, the stupid one is repeating his foolishness. - Proverbs 26:11

Look out for the dogs, look out for the workers of injury, look out for those who mutilate the flesh. - Philipians 3:2

And notice especially in Revelation who dogs are associated with: " Outside are the dogs and those who practice spiritism and the fornicators and the murderers and the idolaters and everyone liking and carrying on a lie." - Rev. 22:15

Would a true Christian want any object in his home that is associated with liars, fornicators, idolaters and those who practice spiritism? Of course not!

Another thing to consider - even though animals are in man's subjection - would you walk into a grizzly bear's den or a pack of wolves without fear? Of course not. We know that the world, under Satan's power, has caused some animals to be dangerous, even deadly. We can look forward to the day soon when the animals are made peaceable again and we can, as the scriptures promise, stand on the cobra's hole or pet a lion. While dogs are mostly docile, many dogs are known to attack without warning. Would it be the spirit of a sound mind to keep an animal in the home that could suddenly, without warning attack you or your children?

Leaving the physical threat aside; While it may be hard to consider the cute, fuzzy little puppy that yelps and yips as a it plays a serious threat to our scriptural well-being, it is not to our thoughts or feelings we must rely on. We must rely on Jehovah's standards as directed to us by his Holy Word and through his Faithful and Discreet Slave. The scriptural references leave no doubt as to the true place of the dog... licking the sores of the beggar and afflicted (Luke 16:21)

We trust that all true worshippers of Jehovah will prayerfully consider this admonition when choosing a pet for their family. Surely we would not let an animal, no matter how loyal, cute or precious one can be, come between us and everlasting life in Jehovah's new paradise world.

• Poztate
    Poztate

You better copyright™ that article. They are so grasping for nu-lite that you just might see this in a questions from readers in the near future.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

You fooled me, UC. I thought it was a Witchtower article..... but anyway,

• pirata
    pirata

Dear undercover,

Would eating a dog be a conscience matter?

Your brother serving shoulder to shoulder,

pirata

• sinis
    sinis

How about a cat?

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Speaking of dog owning..I can love them as pets but still see them as animials..2 things are going on right now because of dog ownership..

One is my Granddaughter who is grown, married with two small childrena and her 2 boxers she has. She treats them like humans, they refuse to be potty trained despite being over one year old..she has to take them everywhere with her. She wouldn't go anywhere she couldnl't take them. (she feels sorry for them and also they will destroy her house)Finally her dad gave her some fence used to make a pen in the basement so she could go our for a short time in an emergency. She takes them to my daughters so she can babysit the kids..my daughter also has to babysit the dogs..otherwise my daughter can't see her grandkids. In the meantime the dogs poop and pee all over my daughters house. She puts up with it because she doesn't want to anger her daughter..BTW, her dad just gave her another dog because he can't have it where he lives now. So she has 3 large dogs.

Second, my son has a doberman and another large dog..they both bite. They do not mind the wife. They get along with the 11 year old girl but when she has friends over they try to attack them. They did bite one girl and they also bit a service man in the knee and drew blood when he came to make some repairs..He can't get any sleep because they wake him up in th emiddle of th enight and wan tout..he has to take them out on a leash or they will run away. He was working 12 hour days and was getting very little sleep.I refuse to go visit my son because I am afraid of the dogs.. as do many other people..and yet when I suggest he get rid of the dogs he says they are his babies..

I know this doesn't answer yuor question but it did pop this question into my head..I'll get back to answering your question later..

I really do love animals but I do also see them as just an animal..I will spoil them and treat them with love but still on the other hand know where to draw the line..

JMO Snoozy

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

That, my undercover friend, is brilliant.

I wonder how many normal, everyday things could be given the Watchtower treatment. I think the WT non-logic on birthdays was one of the things that finally made my common sense kick in.

• undercover
    undercover
    Would eating a dog be a conscience matter?

Dear Gentle Reader,

While Jehovah gave us the animals for food after the Great Flood, one must consider the entire counsel of the Bible when it comes to eating animals. Just as the Israelites had restrictions on what animals they could eat or not eat, then true followers of Jehovah take into consideration the principles behind those Mosiac Laws coupled with the counsel put forth in the Christian Greek Scriptures along with the "food at the proper time" as dispensed by the Faithful and Discreet Slave.

Since it is clear that dogs are considred unclean animals in both the Hebrew and Greek Scriptures and are even mentioned in the same sentence with idolaters and those who practice spiritism it is clear that eating a dog would be in violation of scriptural and Earthly Orgnanizational counsel.

We trust that this adequately answers your question.

Your brothers in Christ Serving the Earthly Organization,

The Goobering Boobs

• undercover
    undercover
    How about a cat?

Dear To The Point Reader,

This subject has been covered in previous articles. We're sure that a search of the site or even *gasp* the Internet would result in pages of Google references to an even better written parody on "are cats for Christians".

We hope this information helps you find the answer you seek in the publications.

Your's in being to the point,

UC GB

• Snoozy
    Snoozy
    We're sure that a search of the site or even *gasp* the Internet would result in pages of Google references to an even better written parody on "are cats for Christians

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit