How do you feel about paying TAX?

by sleepy 15 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

I just had a shock today when I realised that I had just paid too much tax for last year. I had forgotten to add almost 1000 pounds expenses to my Tax return.
    Oh yes I'm going to get some money back.But should I be so hasty, this money will go toward policing , education and many other important needs of society.
    Maybe it would just go to some corrupt official or politician who will spend it on a slap up meal.

So how do you feel about paying your taxes. Are they too high or not high enought.
    Are there any better ways for keeping countries running smoothly.
    Also what taxes do you pay in other countries?
    In Britain we have,
    Income tax,
    VAT ,
    Council tax,
    National insurance.
    Car Tax.
    All adding up to a hefty bill. Are we getting value for money?

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Bwaahahahahahaha. I get a tax refund this year.

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • Mindchild
    Mindchild

Sleepy...most people see vast room for improvement in their governments use of tax dollars. When you take an objective look at different nations and see what benefits some nations offer vs. others, you can see huge differences in the quality of life. There are some places that have become tax havens which offer very low taxes and offer a great lifestyle but things tend to be expensive there as there is leveling of the playing field and just free market economics. You sometimes have a big gap there between the rich and poor. Still, other countries like Sweden have done quite well for themselves with very high taxes and nearly everyone enjoys a quality lifestyle.

As we are becoming a more global society, it seems to me that the smart thing to do is to relocate to somewhere that offers you the best deal. Millions of American's have found this out and are leaving in record numbers and of course there are lots of Brits who have learned the grass really is greener on the other side of the fence as well. You can always complain about taxes but it won't do anything for your pocketbook until you actually do something to reduce or eliminate them entirely.

Kind Regards,

Skipper

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

I am going to get a refund this year!

(imitating Nelson Muntz)
    HA! HA!

"I have so much love to give, but no one to give it to."

William H. Macy - "Magnolia"

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

All of you will probably have me "committed", but I absolutely LOVE completing the forms and filing my taxes.

I have a very good (I think the IRS is sick of me) relationship with the local unit and I purchase all of the CD-ROM's with PDF fillable forms.

I use Intuit Quickbooks Pro 2000 and Turbo Tax Deluxe. I think filing the forms is fun and I enjoy printing them out and making the labels and sending the completed return. I gotta tell all fo you how much fun it is to have your paperwork in order and organized.

I have an office/office supplies fetish. I love to organize and file and catalog,etc. I love a clean office, you should see mine. I am on the tenth floor in my building in downtown Boston and I have a great view of the city (I do windows).

• gotcha
    gotcha

here i think most cheat on their taxes coz there's no point in paying it just goes down right into the pockets of government officials...no benefits whatsoever, the quality of public education is close to useless and i dunno..at least u guys over the us/uk/aus get some of it back in some way...
    im from the philippines btw..a lousy country but still love it..hehe

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Definition of "tax refund": an interest-free loan you gave to the government by overpaying during the previous year.

Expatbrit

• Utopiano Reformato
    Utopiano Reformato

You guys are correct, however I never said I love refunds. I love filing and completing the forms.

Inside IRS publications and in the tax code, you are reminded: "it is the responsibility of the individual taxpayer to pay the least]amount of tax possible".

I love doing my OWN taxes only, but the real pleasure is in learning how the system works, and structuring your financial habits to spend your money in deductible ways all the time. if it can't be deducted or credited in some way legally, I usually won't spend. It means I am cheap, but pay very little annually. I would rather write the IRS a small check in December/January, than wait a year for the government to return my money, interest free.

It's only fun when your ahead of the game (legally) and everything is in order.

• LDH
    LDH

UR / Expat

Agree. We try to either pay very little at the end of the year or just get back a little.....

I can't afford to loan our money out interest free!

HOWEVER this year I am expecting a SIZEABLE refund (I hope) because of the new baby, which wasn't in our withholdings calculations.

UR I have a girlfriend who ALSO has an office supplies fetish. CRAZY I tell ya.

Lisa

• David Gladden
    David Gladden

Sleepy,

You're forgetting something very important: You are not going to "get" any money from the government... it was always yours to begin with, and to boot, you effectively gave the government a free loan. If I were you, I would be pissed.

If you underpay your taxes, you have to pay the extra plus penalties and interest. Does the government pay you penalties and interest for taking too much from you? Nope!

With all that in mind, are you still seriously considering giving the government even MORE of your money?

Is everyone in Europe as willing and eager to give his or her money to the government as you are?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit