Grand Theft Auto 5: Patterson Edition

by Mr. Falcon 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Recently, I have heard several comments during the Watchtower Study regarding how today's ultra-violent entertainment might actually be "training and preparing people to butcher their own families when the Great Tribulation hits." This rather dystopian thought was also alluded to in several convention talks within the past year or so.

How do you feel about this? While there is no doubt that explicitly violent media is abundantly available in this day and age, do you feel that this is a plausible conclusion to draw? Or is this simply "stretching" an idea to further promote an apocalyptic prophecy?

p.s. This is probably one of the most serious, humorless topics I've ever posted. So to add my signature calling card so that you will know that it's really Mr. Falcon.......

BOOBS.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

training and preparing people to butcher their own families when the Great Tribulation hits."

That assumes that there WILL be a great tribulation

I think that might be the weak link in their arguement.

On another note, is todays entertainment more or less violent than the Roman Arenas?

• unshackled
    unshackled

Hey Falcon....I had a world-changing thought reading your OP. Until...I got to the last word....and now can't remember a damn thing. Thanks, boobs.

On another note, is todays entertainment more or less violent than the Roman Arenas?

jean-luc brings up a good point. Are we really more morally deviant and violent nowadays? Consider the account in Samuel where Saul's bride-price is 100 Philistine foreskins. So David and his army go out, kill and collect 200 Philistine foreskins. Give them to Saul and David gets his daughter as a bride.

WTF? That's some f'd up crap right there. Put that in a movie nowadays and how well will it be received by the masses? Not. But yet the bible is widely accepted as the ultimate moral guide. Go figure.

Regarding "training and preparing people to butcher their families"....nah, just another batshit idea used to create the Us vs. Them illusion. Everything outside of the Org is pure evil. Scare tactics.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

What ultra-violent entertainment? I haven't been to a hanging or stoning in ages. I miss watching lions tear Christians to shreds and getting blood splattered on me. Christian blood is really hard to come by these days, too. I get funny looks at the blood mobile when I ask their prices.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I believe one of my g'sons has all the Grand Theft games.

Syl

• jay88
    jay88

Not only is the world we are living in ultra violent. We are bombarded with sexual innuendos to the point where religious organizations protect peddies

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Mon Capitan - Not at all. Violence today is pretty bad, but it is no worse than other time periods. Roman public impalement. Beheadings during French Revolution. Rape and butchery in Nanking. All those happened before Rockstar Games was founded.

unshackled - I picture the unlucky Israelite soldier who had to sift through 100 foreskins. Poor devil probably just closed his eyes and thought about Midianite women making out with the Hittite women. At least that's what I would have done.

Danabug - Yeah they really knew how to get down in those days. Sure, you had the inevitable beheading or death by 1,000 cuts, but the orgies were not to be missed!

Syl - I have the esteemed honor of having beaten every GTA game. It is an honor I hold most dear.

jay88 - Funny how nowadays they are just innuendos. Back in ancient times, sex was just open and gratuitous.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

I totally forgot about the orgies! Roman baths! Children passed around for adult pleasure. *sigh* Those where the good old days. What is this world coming to?

/sarcasm (Cause sometimes it's hard to tell.)

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

ahem..... let's not forget the vomitoriums.

• unshackled
    unshackled

I have the esteemed honor of having beaten every GTA game. It is an honor I hold most dear.

Impressive. I have a confession Rev. GTA Falcon....I haven't finished GTA4. Got to about two-thirds done and haven't played in over a year. Wonder how many booty calls I've missed from Niko's girlfriend(s) in that time?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit