The Bible is full of violence.Why are JW's told to avoid anything related to it then?

by XPeterX 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• talesin
    talesin

The WTBTS truly speaks out of both sides of its 'mouth' on this one ....

We were taught to be non-violent, even to the point of not defending ourselves when schoolyard bullies got physical.

Yet the BOE encouraged parents to beat their children when they were 'bad'.

It's part of the cognitive dissonance that JWs live... they say/believe one way, but the reality of their lives is totally different.

t

• snowbird
    snowbird

With God, if you're not wicked, you have nothing fear.

Psalm 11:5-6 He tests the good and the bad alike;
    if anyone cheats, God's outraged.
    Fail the test and you're out,
    out in a hail of firestones,
    Drinking from a canteen
    filled with hot desert wind. The Message Bible

LOL.

God don't play.

God Don't Play

Syl

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Well, now, aren't you special?

That was a Kenite woman - Jael.

I admire her so much that I gave my daughter her name.

Served Sisera right.

He drove a war chariot that was outfitted with iron scythes.

Can you imagine the mayhem he caused on the battlefield?

Returning to the topic: The WT presumes to speak for God.

Like any good Father, God is not at all averse to violence when it comes to defending his people.

Syl

Ohhh c'mon!!! Since when are there rules in warfare? Not to mention, the Israelites committed Genocide, rape, slavery, injustice, but Sisera was worse than them because he had iron scythes on his chariot? SMH

• snowbird
    snowbird

I never said Sisera was worse than the Israelites.

I merely pointed out that he got what he deserved.

If you live by the sword ...

Syl

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I never said Sisera was worse than the Israelites.

I merely pointed out that he got what he deserved.

If you live by the sword ...

Syl

Not to sound like I'm judging, because I'm not, rather I'm trying to make sense of this. You admired his killer?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    You admired his killer?

Admire.

She knew the Israelites were in the right.

Syl

• truthlover
    truthlover

Humm -- anybody watch wrestlin??

My hubby, son and his gramps watched it weekly, went to the live shows, etc. boxing, hockey -- and hubby and gramps were elders..

• undercover
    undercover

I knew JWs that defended their position of watching "wrasslin" because they knew it was "fake". Which to me was double stupid. Not only are you not supposed to glorify violence, you're now going to spend money on a fake sport when the outcome is scripted and there is no real "winner"? disclaimer: I'm not dissing the wrestlers. they're actors and athletes. They're good at it... it's just not a real sport.

Let's face it. Many of us love a good fight. If I'm watching a hockey game and a fight breaks out, I perk up and get a bit excited. Now, if my favorite team is playing for a playoff spot or to advance in the playoffs, I hate it when the other team goads them into fighting. It just distracts them from the task at hand. But if I'm watching a game with no real interest in who wins, I love a good hockey fight.

Local Saturday night racing is a good place to go to watch amateur pugilistics in action. When two rednecks wreck and their cars are too damaged to carry on, you can get a good, good ole boy fight...until the track officials and cops break it up. Hell, even the fans in the stands will jump down on the track and get involved. If you got some red in your neck, that's some good times rite thar...

• TD
    TD

The Bible has recorded acts of violence, true, you are referring to entertainment, should a person choose to be entertained by violence?

Entertainment is an interesting distinction and I understand why a Christian (Or anybody else) would have a problem with movies like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or the Saw series.

In the broad sense of the word, all movies are "Entertainment," but not all entertainment is for the sake of pleasure (As you allude to)

Some stories need to be told. Some of those stories are violent. Hotel Rwanda, The Killing Fields and Schindler's List are stories that need to be told. These stories remind us of things that should not be forgotten. The ugly side of what humans are capable of is something that society needs to remember, lest it happen again.

On this distinction, Jehovah's Witnesses commit the fallacy of generalization. "Entertainment" can be a valuable tool to teach moral lessons and the violent content of a movie can be an intrinsic part of that moral lesson.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    The ugly side of what humans are capable of is something that society needs to constantly guard against, lest it happen again.

Hear, Hear!

The Bible is neither squeamish nor pulls any punches when it comes to telling the story.

On this distinction, Jehovah's Witnesses commit the fallacy of generalization. "Entertainment" can be a valuable tool to teach moral lessons and the violent content of a movie can be an intrinsic part of that moral lesson.

Word.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit