The Bible is full of violence.Why are JW's told to avoid anything related to it then?

by XPeterX 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• XPeterX
    XPeterX

In Exodus Jehovah killed the Egyptians.Ahud stabbed Eglon in his abdomen,people in a city (don't remember which one) would eat their own children,JW's back then sacrificed their babies to Moloch and the list goes on.So why JW's have to avoid books,music,movies which contain violence?

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

They only use the parts of the Bible where it suits them. The other stuff is, well, not really there, its just an illusion. But it's all "God's Word".

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

The Bible has recorded acts of violence, true, you are referring to entertainment, should a person choose to be entertained by violence? Does violence bring a person pleasure? I have to think that you would see a difference between the two.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Genocide and infanticide are OK with YHWH, in some situations.

On balance, however, merely dying is nothing compared to the Double Predestination belief of people being created (in the first place), only to be tortured for an eternity in Hell.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I talked to my dad over the weekend, and when I told him that I'd be watching the Hopkins/Pascal fight, he was joking with me about it being wrong to watch that. Later on that night, he called me, which surprised me because he usually hits the sack around 10:30pm. Not to mention Dirk and the Mavs were giving Oklahoma a thorough shalacking, so I know he didn't stay up to finish the late 3rd and 4th quarter of that game. When I was younger he was an avid fight fan, which rubbed off on me. Marvin Hagler was that dude back then, and I've been hooked on fighting ever since he took out Hearns. So when I seen who it was on my caller id, I knew he watched the fight. I picked up, and he was excited just like I was because Hopkins got that young boy. My dad was like, "I aint fooling with you, you gonna lose your life, and you're gonna cause me to lose mines. People are gonna be in paradise asking what happened to me. Losing my life over Bernard Hopkins, nope not me."

Another thing, the WT encourages a blood lust within JWs, and I remember being confused when I was younger because of this. On one hand JWs are taught that we love our neighbors, yet we can't wait for them to be destroyed. On top of that, the bloodlust is supported by handpicked scriptures. JWs love talking about the Egyptians getting drowned, or the double edged sword causing King Eglon's fecal matter to come out, or Samson smashing Phillistines with a jaw bone, or the Jewess driving a tent spike in someone's ear. All of that's acceptable, but boxing.....thats bad. SMH.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Along the lines of Prodigal Son's comment, the Watchtower Society is infamous for "cherry-picking" scriptures to suit their particular variety of mndate and control... [As well as nearly every other Christian religion - in fact, I'd say every religion...]

Zid

• undercover
    undercover
    JWs love talking about the Egyptians getting drowned, or the double edged sword causing King Eglon's fecal matter to come out, or Samson smashing Phillistines with a jaw bone, or the Jewess driving a tent spike in someone's ear. All of that's acceptable, but boxing.....thats bad.

Violence for God's glory is good. Violence for one's own glory ( wearing a fancy belt ) takes away from glory for God, therefore it's bad. Which tells you how petty God really is.

• ziddina
    ziddina

OOOOOOO!! What "No Room For George" said!!!

There's an innate hypocrisy in the Watchtower Society; its teachings, its administration, its demands upon its lower-ranking followers...

And what Undercover said!!

• snowbird
    snowbird
    or the Jewess driving a tent spike in someone's ear.

Well, now, aren't you special?

That was a Kenite woman - Jael.

I admire her so much that I gave my daughter her name.

Served Sisera right.

He drove a war chariot that was outfitted with iron scythes.

Can you imagine the mayhem he caused on the battlefield?

Returning to the topic: The WT presumes to speak for God.

Like any good Father, God is not at all averse to violence when it comes to defending his people.

Syl

• sir82
    sir82

In virtually every WT article condemning violence, the scriptural citation is Psalm 11:5, which ends with "...and anyone loving violence His soul certainly hates."

Well and good, but why do they never complete the context by including verse 6: "He will rain down upon the wicked ones traps, fire and sulphur, And a scorching wind, as the portion of their cup."

I.e., "Jehovah hates violence - he hates violence so much that he will violently rip apart, burn, and mutilate the flesh of violent people."

Is it just me or that a bit of a mixed message?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit