Anyone else excited about 'The Hunger Games'?

by sd-7 17 Replies latest social entertainment

• talesin
    talesin

I think Kindle is a wonderful thing -- it's gotten more people to read, and (I think) would be especially good if one travels a lot.

I do enjoy books, as reading is pure relaxation.

I never turn down the pages , or lay the book face-down .

By the time I finish the trilogy, maychance I will be able to d/l 'The Hunger Games' torrent for free! (legally, of course - Canadian, eh?)

t

• talesin
    talesin

I just received the Hunger Games on Friday, and it was a quick read. Can't wait for the second book.

For me, it didn't read like a book geared towards teen women (unless you are referring to the fact that the main character is a young woman) any more than the Lord of the Flies is geared toward children, rather more like Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. It's a post-apocalyptic sci-fi where the world is clearly divided into the 'haves' and 'have-nots', with classical themes of Big Brother, and oppression of the poor, and martial rule. Thoughts of Steven King's brilliant short story The Running Man also came to mind, as well as the classic Logan's Run.

After I've completed the trilogy, I will certainly watch the movie.

thanks for the recommend!

tal

• sd-7
    sd-7

Yeah, the movie makes some minor tweaks to the story, and though it's still good, I think they could have slowed it down a little more, made you feel Katniss' desperation and need a bit more. But I think most of the pivotal scenes in the book were handled pretty well. The violence was toned down more than I thought was necessary for a PG-13, except that these are kids, so...but not so sanitized that they avoided brutality altogether.

I'm curious to see what a different director will do with 'Catching Fire'. But it's worth seeing. Very pretty film to look at--the visuals were dead-on and the tone was just right for capturing the feel of the book. Looking forward to that on Blu-ray... The girl on fire scene was as rewarding as I had hoped. Also, I really liked Donald Sutherland as President Snow--his eyes are just so deadly. He's perfect for the role.

So...glad you posted on this thread again. Kind of nice to see that in fact quite a lot of folks were excited about 'The Hunger Games'.

--sd-7

• PrincessCynic
    PrincessCynic

Another Hunger Games fan here, loved the books and the film, but then I love any dystopian fiction Can't wait for the next one!

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I loved all 3 Hunger Games books, too.

If you liked them, I recommend "Blood Red Road" by Moira Young.

I'm half-way through it and enjoying it just as much as Hunger Games.

• talesin
    talesin

SD-7 --- There's not much I enjoy more than a good read. I wasn't sure if the movie just covered the first book, so I can watch it now,, eggs-sellent!! I'll post up after I see it. :))

Palm -- I've ordered Blood Red Road from the library, thanks for the tip!

tal

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I saw Catching Fire. I am not into the Hungar Games and never saw the first movie, but had to take the teenagers to see the second, Catching Fire. Well, Catching Fire was one of the very best movies I have ever seen. I will not say anything more. Just, go see it.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

My daughter gave me the books, so I was already a fan. I have seen Catching fire, it was great. My husband never read the books but saw the first movie and really liked it, so we saw it last weekend. The movies stay very true to the books, I was happy they didn't change the stiry too much, and the casting was genius. I am also excited about Enders Game, another sci-fi young adult book that has been made into a man movie. I read it when I was young, eons ago, it's great that it is getting a second life so many years later. I gave a copy to my grandson a few years ago, my daughter ended up reading it as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit