Anyone else excited about 'The Hunger Games'?

by sd-7 17 Replies latest social entertainment

• sd-7
    sd-7

I'm trying to figure out if I'm the only one. It actually feels weird because I would assume this is geared at teenage girls, not, like...28.8 year old men. But it seemed like an awesome adventure story, the best I've read apart from some of the truly great Star Wars novels (the best ones are largely written by Matthew Stover).

I'm thrilled to see Jennifer Lawrence on the cover of Entertainment Weekly in full costume as Katniss. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I feel like she's definitely got the look--not overly pretty or sexy, but attractive enough that she'll clean up nicely. I'm curious to see how they'll do the big ceremony dress, the whole 'girl on fire' bit.

I'm weird, but I had my own casting ideas for all the characters. I totally saw Jensen Ackles as Gale, knowing he's too old for the role... And Brian Cox as Haymitch, just because he seems like he could do that clever, tricky type and pull off a mean drunk as well. And Robert Knepper as the guy who does the big interviews with everybody, Caesar somebody was his name, just because he's got that charismatic personality that a bigtime interviewer should have.

But...this is probably a waste of a thread...worth a try...

--sd-7

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

SD, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, but I'm determined to not let this thread die that soon. Time to Google The Hunger Games!

• Giordano
    Giordano

Yes I am looking forward to it. I read The Hunger Games and it was a great read. These brief reviews from Amazon readers should bring everyone up to date. The movie has the potential to be great because the book is so visual it will lend itself to the movie.

http://www.amazon.com/Hunger-Games-Suzanne-Collins/product-reviews/0439023521/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_5?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addFiveStar

"The 74th Annual Hunger Games are soon to begin. The Hunger Games are a fight to the death. In the new country of Panem, in the ruins of North America, each year as punishment for a rebellion and as a control mechanism, the Capitol forces each of the 12 provinces to draw names of a male and female tribute. The tributes are drawn from all people between the ages of 12 and 18. They receive training, are assessed by the game masters and then the betting begins. The games will be televised and are required viewing for the whole nation. "

"Wow. I was barely able to put this book down for a second after the first few pages got me completely hooked. Suzanne Collins narrative here has an immediacy to it that, when combined with the very dramatic life-or-death plot, is incredibly compelling. It's entertaining, and incredibly disturbing all at once. If this was merely a good read, I would have given it 4 stars, but they say great art leaves you changed after you experience it... and this book definitely did that. Suzanne Collins has, with one amazing work, propelled herself onto my top shelf."

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Ok, thanks Giordano, so I take it that its kind of like Battle Royale, only the setting is a post apocalyptic America.

• clarity
    clarity

sd-7 hmmmm, your'e right I'm starving. Think I'll grab that left over apple pie!

c

• talesin
    talesin

I wasn't excited (*because I didn't know of the series, of course*), but after reading this link, I'ma gonna click on my local library's bookmark and order it so I can get readin'! I'm going to have to read the book(s) before seeing the movie.

With which book should I start?

This URL gives good plot summaries, and I noticed the first book has a free read of the first chapter.

http://www.scholastic.ca/thehungergames/about-the-book.htm

tks

tal

• sd-7
    sd-7

Well, it's a trilogy--'The Hunger Games', 'Catching Fire', and 'Mockingjay'. It's totally worth the read. I was hooked very quickly and literally could not put it down till I'd read all three books.

--sd-7

• talesin
    talesin

Okay, I put "the Hunger Games" on request ,,,, hahaha

I pasted the page from my library account,,, that number, on the right,,, 120 -- is my "position" in holds, the good news is they have 15 copies. :)

Popular series, I'd say!

I think I'll visit one of the sci-fi bookstores,,, half-price, lovingly read, pre-owned books. lol!

Thanks, sd-7. Have you read any of Spider Robinson 's books?

t

The Hunger Games /
    by Collins, Suzanne.
    New York : Scholastic Press, 2008.
    Ya Books
    Date Placed: 20/05/2011Pickup Location: n Rd. Public Library
    Active120
  • talesin
    talesin

oops double post *edited out*

• sd-7
    sd-7

Haven't read Spider Robinson's books. I've mostly read Star Wars novels, a few comic book movie novelizations, tons of comics, and just finished my first ever Star Trek novel today. The Hunger Games trilogy was a recommendation I saw in Entertainment Weekly's Book reviews, so I just downloaded a sample and was hooked. If I didn't have a Kindle, I'm sure I'd be going to the library, myself. Good idea, though--libraries still need us and I think we still need them.

--sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit