What was the correct protocol for first name/last name usage from the platform?

by Amelia Ashton 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Some brothers at my last KH just could not pronounce the surnames of other members of our congregation especially African and Dutch surnames so they used their first name or an abbreviated version of their first name.

I was wondering why we weren't all called by our first names? Much more friendly. The only time my surname is used outside the KH is by strangers or authority figures so why the use of surnames from the platform by people who would at all other times be using your first name?

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

There is a protocol, strictly layed down. Baptised people should be addressed as Bro. this (surname) Sis. that. unbaptised studies Mr. this Mrs. that. Never first names except for children.

This was enforced even in the groups where the practise had always been to use first names. Many group leaders though in a slightly rebellious way ignored this instruction from the FDS.

I don't remember any scriptural basis for this. Oh! of course not, silly me. Why would I expect that?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

*** km 3/80 p. 3 Question Box ***
    ? What forms of address are recommended for use during congregational meetings?

When Jesus taught his followers to pray, he instructed them to address Jehovah as "Our Father." This thought of a spiritual family relationship between all of his followers was further emphasized when he told them "all you are brothers." (Matt. 23:8) Many times the apostles and disciples of Jesus used the term "brother" in a very direct sense. Peter referred to Paul as "our beloved brother Paul" and Paul spoke of "Titus my brother," and "our brother Timothy."-2 Pet. 3:15; 2 Cor. 2:13; Heb. 13:23.

In view of this close spiritual relationship, Jehovah's Witnesses normally address each other as "brother" and "sister." They generally do this along with the last name during congregational meetings. For the one presiding to use first names can, at times, cause certain problems. If a person were new to our meetings and we were not too well acquainted with him, he could feel we were being overly familiar if we called upon him by his first name since last names are customarily used when people are gathered at Christian meetings.

Whereas, the one presiding could call on very young children by their first name, were he to call older persons by their first name some may view this as a lack of respect. Or take the case of a sister whose husband is not in the truth but comes to a meeting for the first time. How will he feel if he hears his wife called by her first name by another married man in front of the whole congregation?

Such difficulties are resolved if those conducting meetings use last names when calling on individuals to comment. We would not address newly interested persons as "brother" or "sister" since the spiritual relationship of God's family does not exist in their case. Rather, use the first and last names together or preface the last name with the more formal Mr., Mrs. or Miss unless there is a reason for making an exception. On the other hand, when a person is approaching dedication and considers himself to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses, there may be no objection to prefacing the last name with "brother" or "sister."

When we use "brother" or "sister" during our congregation meetings, it indicates a very blessed relationship, a family relationship under the one Father, Jehovah God. (Eph. 2:19b) It is a bond that is far closer and more precious than any indicated by the use of first names.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Even newer reference ....

*** km 4/96 p. 7 Question Box ***
    ? What is the proper use of the terms "brother" and "sister"?

When used in a literal sense, the terms "brother" and "sister" refer to individuals who have the same parents. This natural relationship usually creates a warm attachment, and the closeness these individuals experience is further enhanced by social, environmental, and emotional ties.
    Jesus taught his disciples to address Jehovah in prayer as "Our Father." The use of that expression implies that as Christians, we are all part of a close family circle where we enjoy a rich spiritual relationship. This was further emphasized by Jesus when he told his followers that "all you are brothers."-Matt. 6:9; 23:8.

Because of our close spiritual ties within God's household, we address one another as "Brother" and "Sister," particularly at congregation meetings. During these spiritual occasions, the one presiding over the meeting recognizes baptized individuals by using the expression "brother" or "sister" followed by the last name of the person being addressed.

What if an unbaptized person wishes to participate in the meetings? When a person has been associated with Jehovah's people for some time and is approaching dedication, considering himself to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses, there would be no objection to prefacing the last name with "Brother" or "Sister." This would especially be true if the individual has become an unbaptized publisher.

On the other hand, interested persons who have only recently begun to attend our meetings have not yet taken the steps that would identify them as part of God's household. These individuals would not be addressed as "Brother" or "Sister," since the spiritual relationship of God's family does not exist in their case. So during the meetings, we would address them more formally, using an appropriate title such as "Mr." with their last name.

Using the expressions "brother" and "sister" at our congregation meetings indicates a bond that is far closer and more precious than any indicated by the use of first names. It reminds us of the very blessed relationship we enjoy as a spiritual family under the one Father, Jehovah God. We are also reminded of the deep love and affection we have for one another.-Eph. 2:19; 1 Pet. 3:8.

• blondie
    blondie

I have seen it where they say Brother/Sister Last Name and then after the comment was over, said Thank you, First Name. I'm sure when the CO comes through and sees what they are doing he'll get them in line.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

some brothers used to call us by our first names, until a CO came along and explained that this is not correct and you have to say brother lastname and sister lastname. even in the bookstudy.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I have never heard the Mr/Mrs rule applied. Has any-one?

• undercover
    undercover

For you born-ins, remember being chastised by our parents for not using 'brother' or 'sister' when speaking of another adult? Even when it came to my best friend's mom, who everyone know by her nickname, we had to call her "Sister Lastname".

I knew one pompous ass elder who actually used "my son" when addressing younger brothers in the hall in private conversations. By the time I grew a set and was standing up to the control factor of the organization, I was no longer interacting with him but I swore if he ever called me "my son" again I was going to tell him, "I'm not your son, you're not my father. Use my name or don't address me at all". I kinda hate I never got the chance to use that...

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

@Slidin Fast = I have never heard the Mr/Mrs rule applied. Has any-one?

Not that I recall.

Interstingly in 1958 Yankee Stadium Nathan Knorr was introduced as MR Knorr.

If memory serves in the Polish congregations they say Brat (Brother) then the 1st name.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Yeah it's ridiculous. For the longest time after I got married, I was still Sister MaidenName... Then when they finally got used to calling me Sister MarriedName, I got divorced and went back to my maiden name lol. When I was a kid, my best friend's mom insisted that she and her brother call my mom Sister FirstName...they were doing it in public until my mom pulled their mom aside and said "Look, they can call me just by my first name...otherwise, it sounds like I'm a nun!!" Once we got to a certain age (I think for me it was after baptism), we stopped calling adults Brother or Sister and just referred to them by their first name. I don't know why...it just seemed weird to us to have to call someone Brother or Sister all the time.

My parents studied with a married couple and she never did take her husband's last name. The brothers REFUSED to call her by her last name when she commented! They insisted she be known as Sister Husband's-Last-Name and NOT Sister Legal-Last-Name! That would infuriate me beyond words and it's such a STUPID and FRIVILOUS thing to be concerned with. Her husband's last name is NOT her last name, so why should she have to be called that? It's like lying in a sense. I asked my dad and he said it comes down to her "being under his headship and not standing just on her own...it shows the congregation that she is submissive to him and not standing aside and going her own way". How asinine!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit