Can You Even Imagine An Elder Doing This?

by puppylove 17 Replies latest jw friends

• puppylove
    puppylove

This is from another board I belong to (not religion related). This woman's husband just admitted he had a drug problem

DH and I talked to our priest yesterday. DH was very honest and I actually learned alot. He (the priest) feels that we need to seek marriage counseling as well as substance abuse counseling. He explained that we need to face and work through my feelings of resentment and betrayal. He said that what I am feeling is very natural and that we can't just concentrate on the substance abuse part, or we will lose each other in the process. We can either seek him for marriage counseling or a professional counselor.

Compare the what the priest said to them to what a jw elder would say.
    No dragging in the back room, no committees, nothing. Just good advice.

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

The elders would...
    ...ask if he still had the addiction.
    ...how long he's had it.
    ...go over some WT articles.
    ...tell him to pray earnestly to Jehovah.
    ...meet with him in a month or two to find out how he's doing.
    ...tell him that if he didn't stop he'd face disciplinary action.
    ...disfellowship him for his bad actions.
    Of course, if any of you former or current JW's have had an actual experience with substance abuse, please share with us how it was handled with the local elders.

• DIM
    DIM

mister biggs -

I never had a substance abuse problem, but when I was 15 I experimented with pot. My parents found a tiny 1/8 bag of pot and took me to the elders. I was not baptized at the time. The elders met with me about 3 times @ about 3 hours each time. Reading scripture after scripture at me.....none of this made much sense to me. They kept telling me I was dabbling in spiritism and would die if Armageddon came tomorrow. I couldn't understand this, cause why would God make a distinction between pot and heavy legal drugs such as prozac or morphine? Does God follow US Law? Is God an American? Anyway, they removed me as a publisher (15 years of age, mind you) and I don't think my reputation has ever fully recovered. I was pressured to get baptized the following year. And here I am today...2 weeks from freedom and 25 in July.

• freeman
    freeman

The difference between mainline clergymen and JW Elders is that clergymen are trained on how to counsel, and JW Elders are largely untrained and often inapt. Don't you find it funny that the Watch Tower’s god chooses to use untrained janitors and the devil’s clergy uses trained counselors. Oh these "gifts in men"!

Freeman

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

DIM-
    What a joke! Pressure and guilt tactics.
    Hey! Did you get your bank thing cleared up?

• DIM
    DIM

hey biggs -

its being worked on....i've written a letter to my bank, emailed the merchant where the fraudulent transaction took place. Now it looks like I just have to be patient.

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

the diff between the clergy and elders
    is that elders rely on the bible

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

As Dr. Peck, author of the Book, The Road Less Traveled, has said, the greatness of the Christian congregation is that the body is made up of sinners. And through the grace of God we can have the help to continue, as sinners.

The JW mantra: If you don’t measure up, your out!

“We all fell down from the milky way, hanging around here for the judgement day, heaven only knows who’s in command.”- Jimmy Buffet

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

Hey Dim,

You and I have a similar story. I started drinking at 15, cause of childhood memories. I was supposed to be baptized at this age and had a meeting with the elders to 'qualify'. They asked if there was anything I was doing that prevented me from getting baptized, laid the guilt trip on me, as being a good little j.w it worked, I confessed. I was then basically pushed out the door by them and the two weeks I rung around they said nothing. The sister I studied with asked if I'd been sleeping with my brother-in-law as he was the one I was getting pissed with. THAT was the last straw. After having a bitch in the congregation cause problems for me and a poor bloke called Troy, she liked him, found out I did and he liked me, got jealous, and caused a whole lotta shit for me. Then the elders condemning me for drinking while their saintly kids where all having premarital sex (baptized) and one fell preggie's out of wedlock, then this supposed sister, an old friend of the family btw, who'd tried on several occasions to sleep with my grandfather, she and my grandparents were close knit once. She even had an alcohol problem, so she couldn't preach to me. Get this, she reckoned she got drunk one night, cause a russian friend, who'd stayed with them liked to keep a glass of voddy in the fridge, she thought it was water and skulled it down. Maybe I shoulda used that excuse with the elders.

So I left at 15. But recently I've started studying again, won't go into the reasons, and don't roll yer eyes!!!!!! I'm not incorrigible!!! So I've turned to pot, as alcohol really makes me sick these days (stuffed my tum at a work xmas party, very embarrassing, very long story, very red faced thinking bout it). Anyways pot helps with depression. So I think anyway. And I told the sister I study with that I have this prob, I feel guilty, (they always make me feel like I'll never be good enough) and that I wanna stop for the sake of my spirituality. She told an elder, who told me to stop, gave me some articles on it, read a scripture and told me I need to keep clean if I want to go out witnessing. I thought I was clean. I'm neat, tidy, hair's always washed and brushed, don't have bad breath (can't say that for some bro's though), bath twice a day, try not to swear, try, and well live a modest life. I thought I covered all the cleanliness mentioned in the bible. Yes I was told I was inviting spiritism as well. But they don't understand. I told the elder I had depression cause I was abused by a j.w and he looked at me horrified. They don't understand. Why? Even a stranger can understand where I'm coming from, and a 'worldly' one at that. These are supposed to be compassionate, caring, balanced-viewed people.

And you're asking, I know, why the hell have I started studying with them again for. Well, I can't answer, except, I feel it's right for me, my conscious has always nagged me - guess I was a well trained witness huh, and I need some anchor in my life. I've bin drifting like piss on the wind for 10 years, getting sick of it. Other religions don't satisfy me, ok, I did witchcraft for years and studied the occult, was fascinated, the jw's tweek your curiosity and well I couldn't resist, I became a goth. Then there was reincarnation for a while and I ever dabbled in satanism, but could never find my niche. And I can't swallow what other christians teach, sorry. But I can swallow the jw's you ask???? Yup. Can't explain why.

Sorry, I'm nattered on for ages here. If I can still be in a religion and feel disillusioned about the people (not the truth itself), I figured there must be more of me out there. Is there?

• JT
    JT

I have often stated that the WT hates it when the poor rank and file tries to come onto forums like this and try to defend them- in fact they have told jw over and over DON'T GO ON THOSE FORUMS

the reason is simple the wt knows that they have so much stuff in print that it can't be defended- case in point

How does the Wt really veiw the quality and training of it's Elders?Well for any who have been an elder we were told we were THE BEST TRAINED ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH and Why cause we were trained by God's Mouth pc- but really what does the wt really say when pressed

Well notice the comments of Freeman:

Freeman says:

The difference between mainline clergymen and JW Elders is that clergymen are trained on how to counsel, and JW Elders are largely untrained and often inapt. Don't you find it funny that the Watch Tower’s god chooses to use untrained janitors and the devil’s clergy uses trained counselors

####### In response to that a faithful JW tries to come to the defense of the quality and training of Elders- by saying #####

Nytelecom1

"The diff between the clergy and elders is that elders rely on the bible"
    #####################

Well now take a look at the OFFICIAL position of the wt on the Quality of thier Elders:

Paducah Sun 1-28-01

Mario Moreno, associate general counsel at the church's New York headquarters,.
    J.R. Brown, public affairs director for the church,

Both Brown and Moreno said that the elders, who volunteer and are essentially untrained clergy, might err in their application of a policy

#########

Now what I have shown you is really just a sample of aonther case of a JW jumping to defend the WT while having no Idea that his statement will be shot down by the Goofy writing and comments of the wonderful WT

James

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit