Curious about the name "Jesus"

by tec 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

Here is a very good quote from the above links:

The word shemiy, which is from the root word shem (H8034), is often translated into English as name. The word shem, has a much deeper meaning than just name in the Hebrew language. Shem can also mean likeness, authority, character, renown, report, memorial, mark, fame, rank, majesty, and a representation of who someone is.

Please read them. It really helped me to make sense of all of this... and yes, I do sometimes use the name Jehoshua in prayer, along with others: My Lord, My God, Almighty...

Father.

I do not for one minute believe that He will refuse to answer when I call Him Father.

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

It just hit me... I have been struggling with whether or not I can use the name Jehovah, and the implications of such a decision to the JWs I am hoping to minister to, and at the same time not struggling with the name Jesus...

Now which, I wonder is important?

Something for me to work through with the Lord's help.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

His personal name would not be Jehovah. The WT just made it up. I don't know why they chose it and why they have not seen "new light." It is interesting that many Jews will not even say the name God. In written form, it becomes G-D. It shows that we like an immanent God, Jesus, whereas the Jews' God is utterly transcedent and separate from humans.

Then, there is always The Life of Brian.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The issue is seems to be that IF Jesus means something other than a simple translation of Ieosous.

So I asked some language experts and the concensus was unanimous so allow me to paste what one linguistic expert that I hold in high esteem said:

Iesous is the normal Greek form of the Hebrew name and it does not decompose into ie + sous morphemes, DNs and PNs were not formed by simply concatenating other names together (as in the equally dubious claim that Lazarus is El + Osiris), /s/ does not correspond to the initial consonant in Zeus (which was /d/ assimilated to the front vowel, i.e. /dios/ as it is in the genitive), the vowels are totally different (/ou/ vs /io, eu/, the former diphthong has no front vowel unlike the latter two), and the final -s in Zeus is a root consonant (part of the stem) whereas the -s in Jesus is simply a nominative suffix and not part of the name (so we have in the genitive Dios vs. Iesou). The similarity is rather found in English and not Greek, as it is in English where first /s/ in "Jesus" typically sounds like a /z/ and where the final /s/ is recognized as part of the name.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

My personal view is this:

God KNOWS US, Christ KNOW US and there is no limit to their love and compassion for Us.

To do something in the mane of, to glorify the name of, to ask in the name of means far more than getting the name right or which translation/transliteratin of the name if more valid.

That said, if a person has had a name revealed to them as the name for them to pray to and through, then WE must respect that.

Things are given to us when we can handle them.

I love and respect Shelby 100% and agree with her in all things, except that Jesus means "Jah is Zeus".

I also accept that I MAY be wrong :)

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

That said, if a person has had a name revealed to them as the name for them to pray to and through, then WE must respect that.

:)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit