Curious about the name "Jesus"

by tec 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think that, if a person choose to use the original language verison, Jaheshua, like Shelby and a few others, that is very cool and quite acceptable.

I like when my wife, when she uses my name, calls me Paulo much more than when she says Paul.

I think that using a persons original name in the original pronunciation came bring you closer to that person, make it more personal.

I must say that when I pray I do tend to say Jaheshua and I feel closer, just as when I call Our God Abba.

There are terms that makes us feel more intimate with Our Lord and Our God, nothing wrong with that.

To be honest, the only reason I have an issue with Jehovah is because we know it to NOT be God's name but the combination of two words.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Paul, dear one... sometimes you just overwhelm me.

The greatest of love and peace to you, dear one, and may the Most Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies ("ABBA!!")... through His Son and Christ, the Holy One of Israel and Holy Spirit, our Lord and King... JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH... bless you and yours... to time indefinite.

YOUR servant, sister, and fellow slave of Christ... always... and forever,

Shel

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

You are too sweet Shel, and far to gracious with your kindness, I am not deserving of such...but thank you with all my heart and love :)

• CandleLight
    CandleLight

Tec,

:-) Hey sis.

Thanks for sharing the notation, I enjoyed the observations. Have been doing some ancestry research on some of my family and I found it interesting how names evolved along the way.. Some cultures slightly changed spellings, others change the same name to fit the language rendition of a similar name in their language.

I found it enlightening as to how the same person and can be called by many names, and still be correct, perhaps not the orginal birth name given in the language at birth, but still retaining the meaning and representation of the person through time as they moved through other cultures.

For to the Jews he is Yaheshua and to the Greeks Jesus... and to us how he chooses to reveal himself... for heavenly language is not limited to our national interptations.

Much love

CL

• Chalam
    Chalam

http://strongsnumbers.com/greek/2424.htm

<< 24232424. Iésous2425 >>

Jesus or Joshua, the name of the Messiah, also three other Isr.

Original Word: ?ησο?ς, ο?, ?
    Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
    Transliteration: Iésous
    Phonetic Spelling: (ee-ay-sooce')
    Short Definition: Jesus
    Definition: Jesus; the Greek form of Joshua; Jesus, son of Eliezer; Jesus, surnamed Justus.

2424IesoúsJesus, the transliteration of the Hebrew term, 3091/L?t ("Yehoshua"/Jehoshua, contracted to "Joshua") which means "Yahweh saves" (or "Yahweh is salvation").

"Jesus Christ" is properly "Jesus the Christ." "Jesus" (2424/Iesoús) is His human name, as the incarnate, eternal Son of God (Mt 1:21,25, see also Lk 1:31) – the Christ, the divine Messiah (the second Person of the holy Trinity).

[Christ (His title) means "the Anointed One" (the eternal pre-incarnate, Logos, Jn 1:1-18).]

Word Origin
    of Hebrew origin Yehoshua
    Definition
    Jesus or Joshua, the name of the Messiah, also three other Isr.
    NASB Word Usage
    Jesus (904), Jesus' (7), Joshua (3).

NAS Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible with Hebrew-Aramaic and Greek Dictionaries
    Copyright © 1981, 1998 by The Lockman Foundation
    All rights reserved Lockman.org

Jesus.

Of Hebrew origin (Yhowshuwa'); Jesus (i.e. Jehoshua), the name of our Lord and two (three) other Israelites -- Jesus.

see HEBREW Yhowshuwa'

?ησο? (iesou) − 328 Occurrences

?ησο?ν (iesoun) − 127 Occurrences

?ησο?ς (iesous) − 462 Occurrences

• tec
    tec

Much love to you as well, Candlelight. And also to you, Stephen.

Tammy

• Ding
    Ding

Jesus' Hebrew name is the same as Joshua's Hebrew name.

In the Septuagint (ancient Greek translation of the OT), Joshua's Greek name is the same as Jesus' Greek name.

• Chalam
    Chalam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua

Name

The English name Joshua is a rendering of the Hebrew language "Yehoshua", meaning "Yahweh is salvation". [ 4 ] [ 5 ] The vocalization of the second name component may be read as Hoshea - the name used in the Torah before Moses added the divine name ( Numbers 13:16 ). [ 6 ]

"Jesus" is the English of the Greek transliteration of "Yehoshua" via Aramaic. In the Septuagint, all instances of the word "Yehoshua" are rendered as "?ησο?ς" (Iesous/Jesus), the closest Greek pronunciation of the Aramaic "Yeshua" (Hebrew word #3443 in Strong's, Neh. 8:17 ). [ 7 ] [ 8 ] Thus in Greek Joshua is called "Jesus son of Nun" (του Ναυ?) to differentiate him from Jesus Christ. Joshua and Jesus are called with the same name, adding Navin ("son of Nun") for Joshua, also in theSlavic languages following the Eastern Orthodox tradition (e.g. ?????, Iisus, in Russian, or ????, Isus, in Serbian).

In Christianity

Among the early Church Fathers, Joshua is considered a type of Jesus Christ. For instance, just as Moses did not lead the children of Israel into the promised land, but Joshua did, so Moses' law could not lead them into Heaven but the new covenant mediated by Jesus (the same name as "Joshua") could. Hebrews 4:8-10 identifies Jesus as a better Joshua, as Joshua led Israel into the rest of Canaan, but Jesus leads the people of God into "God's rest," salvation. [citation needed]

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I know the French spelling b/c I took French for almost a decade. There isn't the proper accent mark available here -- as far as I know. I've read French lit but I can't recall hearing it. I expect it is more like Jay soo. but I am not sure. There has to be a French audio translation someplace. Now I'm curious about the German, POrtugese and Russian. Since we only say "jesus" for one specific person, the very name seems to have sanctity. The ubitiquous Spanish is interesting.

Joshua -- I've known and read many Joshuas.

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

I recently looked into the same thing, friend, and though I see you all have quite thoroughly handled the matter, I thought I would add what was helpful to me:

http://www.seekgod.ca/htwhatsinaname.htm

I also benefitted from the discussion of God's name, as the importance of, etc was discussed.

http://www.seekgod.ca/htname.htm

I believe that the actual name, in the way we understand the meaning of the word name, is not the important thing, so I decided to use Jesus because then everyone knows what I am talking about. I personally have benefitted by occasionally using Yehoshua, and in prayer also, as a reminder that the God of the OT and the God of the NT are the same person.

Love you!

I would like to see the old thread that you posted in, Shelby.

SOG, daughter of the King

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit