Confused about something....

by faundy 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• faundy
    faundy

Not posted on here in a while...

My sister is the only one in our family who's still a Witness. She's 32 and married to a Servant. Nice guy, never had any problems with him. She is nearly four months pregnant, due in November.

My mum (Dansk's wife) is considered an apostate. I left because I'm a lesbian. The thing is, my sister has regular contact with my mum. They ring each other, go for lunch, etc. My sister sent my mum a scan picture of the baby. When the baby comes, I'm sure that will bring them even closer. The thing is, how come she won't talk to me unless she has to, when the 'sin' of being gay is nowhere near as serious, according to Witnesses, as apostasy? My mum would probably spit on a Kingdom Hall if she could, whereas I have nothing against the Witnesses, I just see them as sad, misguided drones.

What's the latest from the society on shunning family members?? Not been to a meeting in five years.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Tis nice to see you here faundy

The only reason I can think of is that you are doubly bad. Not just an ex-Dub, but a fair dunkum sinner.

Maybe Mum can put in a good word for you.... Organise a meetup for coffee somewhere neutral ... Just hoping.

Say hi to Clair for me

Chris

• Mat
    Mat

Maybe she sees the "honor your mothe rand your father " as still applicable, yet there is no command to honor your siblings! Perhaps she remembers a time when you stole her dolly? Just bouncing ideas.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

Hi faundy.

There are lots of maybes:

maybe your sister just has a problem with the fact that you are lesbian

• sizemik
    sizemik

In my experience as a parent faundy . . . the mother/daughter relationship will always have the potential to be stronger than a sibling relationship. When you factor in the upcoming birth, the situation seems understandable to me. Siblings often carry rivalry in some measure right through life and we often demand most in our expectations from our brothers and sisters. I don't think there is a personal element beyond that.

Unfortunately, the unspoken attitude toward your sexual orientation is born from an ingrained WT anathema toward gay people, and this is very sad. But it's based on ignorance and misplaced Bible-based bigotry.

I believe the current shunning policy is as stringent as it's ever been . . . necessary business only . . . so a close relationship with your mother is a no no. However, let it ride . . . your Mum may in time make some headway and create a personal re-think for your sister. Possibly, your sister will then have a spiritual crisis to deal with in order to keep the relationship . . . the outcomes from that can only be good for everybody.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Hi faundy,

Who knows...

Your sister may feel threatened by your sexuality.

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

From what I've observed as a Witness...even though the Jdubs have generally a single view on a particular matter, the witless all tend to act out on it quite differently from one another. Now technically, you are correct in that your "crime" is no were near as serious as apostacy. Technically, according to their own doctrines, she is not supposed to have contact with either one of you, especially an apostate. That says one of several things: She can't be fully into the religion. There must be something there that she can't quite grasp. For the rest of the witnesses, apostacy is even WORSE than a regular ol' disfellowshipping.

As another user said....just let ir ride. You never know what may come of it in the future :)

• nugget
    nugget

Faundry,

The society has recently become more hard line as regards shunning family members. Watchtowers cite examples of good christians who were counseled by the elders on the importance of shunning and complied. It is very sad but it is effective and many people feel it is necessary to follow this direction.

By seeing your mum but not seeing you, your sister may feel that she is at least following the societies direction some of the time. Witnesses are always weighing up and judging others and she may well judge your crime as greater than her mothers.

It is ridiculous and it shows double standards but there is no sanity in this process.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I'd agree with what is already said. It sounds like a personal thing with your sister. Apostates are as bad as it gets. They trump child abusers! She may just be uncomfortable with your life style or just not willing to go without a mom.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

double post, sorry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit