Favourite books

by watersprout 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Ah brilliant ! Another book thread - I love these, and I've got a Kindle too nowadays so its so very easy, 'one click' and its in your hands. I've been bobbing between this thread and my Amazon wish list with some of your suggestions...great for when I run out and cant decide what to read.

I read 'The Help' recently and loved it.

Enjoyed 'The Book Thief' Marcus Zusak

'Sister' by Rosamund Lupton was a good read.

Love Marian Keyes and Cecilia Ahern and Joanna Trollope too for some good contemporary fiction well written.

Followed up a recommend on here about 'The Four Agreements' By Don Miguel Ruiz which I'm in the middle of now and very impressed with I must say. Simple but clever guide to living without dramas and pain.

I've been enjoying some autobiogs too...however ...this is all very well but to prepare for next academic year I've got a list of classics to get through so I spose I should be having a little word with myself..............

Loz x

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

My all-time favorite is Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Beyond that, I could list books for hours. :)

• Deceived
    Deceived

@ Palimpsest!!! OH Please do list more books.

I am loving this thread. I already went and downloaded 5 books suggested here to my Kindle.

I can't find The Women's Room on kindle anywhere. I can't download it from Kindle direct either cause they say its not available in Canada. I guess I will have to find a hard copy somewhere ;-) It is an Older book so maybe that is why its not so Kindle/ebook friendly.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I'm eclectic. The Bible, C.S. Lewis, the screwtape letters and mere christianity,

The Poisonwood Bible

Call of the Wild

Homer, the iliad and the odyssey

Epic of Gilgamesh

The Road Less Travelled

The Last Temptation of Christ

The Federalist Papers

Taylor Branch, civil rights movement history

bios of the Founders

Bhagvid(sp) Gita

The New YOrker cartoons

New Yorker short stories - almost all

Vanity Fair

Onion

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance- Robert Pirsig

The Maneaters of Tsavo- J.H. Patterson

Death in the Long Grass- Peter Capstick

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings- J.R.R. Tolkien

Catcher in the Rye- J.D. Salinger

The Sword of Shannara- Terry Brooks

Farenheit 451- Ray Bradbury

Slaughterhouse Five- Kurt Vonnegut

Of Mice and Men, The Grapes of Wrath- John Steinbeck

The Stand- Stephen King

CoC- Ray

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I've got to read Vanity Fair for Uni this summer BOTR so I hope its enjoyable.

Loz x

• FifthOfNovember
    FifthOfNovember

I usually read science books. I read Stephen Hawking's The Grand Design, David Mills' Atheist Universe (my favorite), and Richard Dawkin's, The God Delusion, among others. This isn't related to the others but I also read about half of Under the Dome by Stephen King.

• warmasasunned
    warmasasunned

jude the obscure (thomas hardy) a book well before its time, really makes you think about marriage, religion, conventions.

empire of the sun ( part fiction, part fact, a british lads experience in japanese captivity, a book every kid should read.)

tom sawyer, treasure island, lord of the flies (wonderful childhood books)

a christmas carol ( a book of the human spirit)

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Anything by Neil Gaiman. Neverwhere is my favorite, but I haven't read any of his graphic novels yet

Mary Stewart's Merlin/Arthur books are the best take on that legend I've ever seen.

I also love kid/youth literature. His Dark Materials from Philip Pullman is great. I'm rereading them again right now.

Of course Tolkien and Lewis wrote great stuff. The Silmarillion. Out of the Silent Planet.

I love books. Way too many to list.

Can't forget Crisis of Conscience and Mistakes Were Made But Not By Me.

• the prisoner No 6
    the prisoner No 6

YOU CAN LIVE FOREVER IN PARADISE ON EARTH,(wtbts) MEIN KAMPF(Adolf Hitler) and ORIGEN OF THE SPECIES(fredrich Engels and Karl Marx)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit