Favourite books

by watersprout 48 Replies latest jw friends

• watersprout
    watersprout

What are your favourite books?

Do you have a book that inspired you?

A book that you read over and over again?

A book that makes you feel sad when it ends?

A book that makes you look at your life and want to change it?

What books are you reading at the moment, or are waiting to read?

My all time favourite book is ''The Island'' by Victoria Hislop. I have read it over and over. I still cry at the same pages, i still smile at the happy parts. I just love it!

''Eat, pray, love'' by Elizabeth Gilbert inspired me that we don't have to accept how our life is. We can change it for the better. It may not be easy, but it is possible.

My favourite ''girly'' books are the Sophie Kinsella ones. The ''Shopaholic series'' and her other one offs. I read them over and over with a cup of tea and chocolate. They make me feel happy if i feel a little sad.

The author i'm into at the moment is the spiritual author Doreen Virtue. Some of her stuff is a bit wacky, but she's a very interesting read.

I have just finished reading ''The guardian Angel's journal'' by Carolyn Jess-Cooke. I loved this one, i cried when it ended. A beautiful story how a woman comes back to be the guardian Angel over herself. Very beautiful and tragic read.

I have yet to read ''The help'' by Kathrym Stockett. Had it on my bookshelf for ages. Going to start that next.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Peace Sprout

• Curtains
    Curtains

Mary Renault used to be my favourite author before I became a witness.

• watersprout
    watersprout
    Mary Renault used to be my favourite author before I became a witness.

How come you stopped reading her books?

Will have a look at her books, can't say i have ever read anything by her.

Peace Sprout

• Curtains
    Curtains

I became too busy reading the wt literature, ministry, children, work etc and lost touch with reading other things. But I think I'd read all of her books too.

• Cameron_Don
  • Deceived
    Deceived

I love threads about favorite books. I am always looking for something new. I recently acquired a Kindle and am reading up a storm.

I have recently become badly handicapped thanks to MS so I spend a lot of time sitting reading. Thanks @ Sprout for the recommendation of The Island, I looked it up and it looks to be a interesting read.

My favorite books recently were Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsover and Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay also The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. Have any of you read them?

• watersprout
    watersprout
    My favorite books recently were Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsover and Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay also The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. Have any of you read them?

No i haven't, but i will be!

Another book that i loved is ''Candle moth'' by R.J. Ellory. Dark, tragic with an amazing twist. I sobbed reading it...You are pulled into the story. Brilliant!

Peace Sprout

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

"The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver is one that I read over and over, too. ((( hugs to Deceived....)))

Another one is "I Know This Much Is True" by Wally Lamb - GREAT story.

I loved the Pillars of the Earth books by Ken Follett, too.

• watersprout
    watersprout

I am soo going to read these books... Thanks for the recommendations.

Peace Sprout

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I've read Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman about a dozen times and all of her other books a few times as well - definitely my favorite author, I love how she writes.

Something Borrowed and Something Blue by Emily Giffen are two of my contemporary favorites, along with Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella - I laughed my ass of reading that one.

Love love love the Falco books by Lindsay Davis and the Merde books by Stephen Clarke.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit