DOUBLE STANDARDS from the Watchtower Society

by Terry 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

The DOUBLE THINK standards of Jehovah's Witness authority is best illustrated by the following:

“ Jehovah’s Witnesses refuse to buy the Malawi Congress Party card. This card declares the holder to be a member of the ruling political party of Malawi. But for Jehovah’s Witnesses to buy a political card and thus join a political party would be an open denial of what they believe and stand for.” Awake 1976 Aug 8 p.5

Following their refusal to buy party cards, many were repeatedly raped by party officials. In Lilongwe, Sister Magola, along with many others, tried to flee the trouble. However, she was pregnant and could not run very fast. A mob, acting like a pack of wild dogs, caught up with her and beat her to death. At the campus of Bunda College of Agriculture, just outside of Lilongwe, six brothers and one sister were murdered and their bodies were horribly mutilated.” Yearbook 1999 pp.182,189

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

_________________COMPARE AND CONTRAST THE ABOVE WITH THE FOLLOWING :_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Governing Body ruled that it was acceptable for Mexican brothers to bribe officials to obtain a government Cartilla card that exempted young me from military service. This is discussed in the following letter to Mexico Branch Committee dated June 2, 1960.

“As to those who are relieved of military training by a money transaction with the officials who are involved therewith, this is on par with what is done in other Latin American countries where brothers have paid for their relief through some military official in order to retain their freedom for theocratic activities. If members of the military establishment are willing to accept such an arrangement upon the payment of a fee then that is the responsibility of these representatives of the national organisation. In such a case the money paid does not go to the military establishment, but is appropriated by the individual who undertakes the arrangement. If the consciences of certain brothers allow them to enter into such an arrangement for their continued freedom we have no objection. Of course, if they would get into any difficulties over their course of action then they would have to shoulder such difficulties themselves, and we could not offer them any assistance. But if the arrangement is current down there and is recognized by the inspectors who do not make any inquiries into the veracity of the matter then the matter can be passed by for the accruing advantages. Should a military emergency arise and confront these brothers with their marching card it would oblige them to make a decision by which they could not extricate themselves by a money payment and their mettle would be tested and they would have to demonstrate outright where they stand and prove that they are in favor of Christian neutrality in a determined test.

Faithfully yours in the Kingdom ministry,

Watchtower B.&T. Society
    of Pensylvania

• Alfred
    Alfred

The GB needed Malawi brothers to be persecuted and the Malawi sisters needed to be raped so the GB could use them as examples of faith in circuit and district assemblies whenever production levels dropped. However, they really didn't want to create any waves in Mexico because they needed to maintain their status as a non-religous cultural organization as this would allow them to purchase real estate that they could eventually flip in the future... (back then, religous entities weren't allowed to purchase real estate in Mexico, so JWs had their "cultural meetings" with no prayers and no bibles... just Watchtower literature)

The justification for all this? It's theocratic warfare strategy approved by the GB. Anyone who questioned this back then was disfellowshipped.

• Terry
    Terry

Whatever the thinking at the top in Bethel, the outcome demonstrated a cynicism devoid of compassion or justness or fairness.

I can only hypothesize this was largely the thinking of one Freddy Franz.

How can we be sure? In a speech given by Franz he mentioned his view of humanity revealingly.

Specifically the deaths of children.

Franz said, "Little nits (lice) grow up to be big nits." (As reported by Ray Franz who overheard.)

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Terry:

Many years ago I remember being involved in a letter writing campaign on that Malawi business. The point being that our letters were supposed to soften the heart of the person or persons who were persecuting the JWs over there. I felt like a dopey kid writing letters to an anonymous pen pal. I only found out years later about the double standard the religion had regarding Mexico and Malawi. Wow! And they talk about Babylon the Great having sins massing clear up to heaven...

As far as that crack about kids being 'nits', this does show the utter disregard and contempt for people in general. What a nice man he was.

• Terry
    Terry

I remember the letter writing campaign clearly. The society sent an example letter of points to cover which we were to then put in our OWN words.

They included names of various officials in the example letter.

What I don't remember is this. WHY DIDN'T THEY CONTACT THE NEWSPAPERS AND TELEVISION NETWORKS AND STATE DEPARTMENT and raise these issues with then? If they did---I clearly have no recollection of anything being said about it at a local level.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I noted that it is all right to compromise in Latin America but not in Africa. While Latin America has a large indigenous population, this smacks of racism. A theological position should apply to any location on earth. It resembles U.S. policy in the Middle East. The US would never tolerate dictators on European soil but we suck up to them in the mIddle EAst b/c the people aren't fully human to us.

Also, during WWII Japanese AMERICANS were interned in concentration camps even though the FBI assured the govt that there were spies but those interned were not spies. Germans on the East Coast were never interned.

Would they bribe an American official? As much as I don't like the WTS, I wonder if anyone is truly venal with intent. Maybe their culture is so stretched with tension, they have lost morals.

• blondie
    blondie

Until 1947, polygamy was allowed in Africa by the WTS for jws although not in the rest of the world.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Until 1947, polygamy was allowed in Africa although not in the rest of the world.

Dammit! Is this gonna be another 6 month research project for me? I'm already in the middle of like 12.

-Sab

• blondie
    blondie

Do you have a CD? Enter 1947 and polygamy. I have some info on one of more recent Comments.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Do you have a CD?

It's in the WTL? Seriously? I don't have a copy at work.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit