Lack of true friends as a Witness

by stuckinamovement 25 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

It was kind of a sad realization I had the other day that as a Witness you are conditioned to not have friends. I realize that most of this fact is related to my own stupidity and arrogance.

When I was in my teenage years I had a great group of friends that I ran around with. Unfortunately many of them decided to leave the organization or were forced to leave. That resulted in my being left alone and being forced by the religion to turn my back on these old friends. So the guys that I had grown up with me were jettisoned away in a show of self righteousness. I was forced to lose contact with them because many of them were disfellowshipped. Many of them were rightfully pissed at me for casting them off as freinds.

Years went by and I was appointed as an Elder. Due to my own stupidity and position as an Elder I never developed real friendships with anyone simply because I was supposed to have all of the answers and be a stellar example. Many Witnesses will scrutinize your conduct as an Elder and then beat you if you do not live up to their expectations. So I did not want anyone to see that I was not as perfect as I pretended to be. "Keep your distance and it is harder to be screwed over", I thought. I was worried that if I became too close to someone, how would I be able to fulfill my job as an Elder and perhaps one day disfellowship someone I really liked? The other side of the coin is that many people are standoffish from the elders for good reason. They don’t want to get counseled or disciplined for piddly ass stuff.

Now that I am on my way out of the cult, too slowly I might add, it struck me that as a Witness you are among the loneliest people on earth. You can’t trust anyone with your true thoughts about the religion, you can’t make outside friendships without being counseled or looked down upon, and if you decide to leave outright, you lose the few friendships that you have had, superficial as they might be. Normal things that a person might do with his buddies, such as concerts, backpacking, ballgames are discouraged because of the time it takes away from the ministry.

The Witnesses will brag about how “Nowhere else will you find friendships such as are found in in God’s organization”. It’s true. You will never find a group of people as judgmental, paranoid, and superficial as Jehovah’s Witnesses.

SIAM

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Excellent post.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I was worried that if I became too close to someone, how would I be able to fulfill my job as an Elder and perhaps one day disfellowship someone I really liked?

So very sad

• andys
    andys

When I used to be a witness I was told the reason why I didn't have any friends was because I wasn't living up to all the expectations that no one wanted anything to do with me but yet I would see other witnesses in all the wrongdoing possible and they had friends- SLAM

Also I am slightly autisitc which means I have a harder time socilizing with people, my social skills are just about there but not quite, but now that I am outside the organization I am starting to make all kinds of friends, also my mind is starting to open up in more ways then I expected, I am now finding it much more easier to learn how to socilize around people.

• RagingBull
    RagingBull

Dude, I so feel what you're saying. Very Very true. The witnesses don't even have "gatherings" anymore unless its a congregation picnic or something. Everyone's so busy preparing for meetings or out in service...there's no TIME to have friends and hang out long and often enough to really ever get to know ANYONE

• dgp
    dgp

Bookmarked.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I know personally my best friends were worldly ones in high school. While everyone else way so excited to be graduating I felt sad when it was time to say goodbye. I knew deep down they were going to drift away and I would be left with those in the congo, none of which really appealed to me.

I think the reason why was I coulndn't be my "real self" in the congo, while I could in high school for the most part. The cult just represses people, you subconsciously repress anything and everything that is off-color or out of wack with the Witness world view.

Add to that the encouragement from the WT to be a RAT on everyone else and you end up with a bunch of people who tolerate each other, but can't depend on each other for jack sh!t.

Women seem to form closer friendships in the org, but that is just my observation and may be a generalization.

Amen. How does one cope with a self-righteous society?

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I agree with you SIAM it's a false world in the WTBS with no compensations.

Loz x

• flipper
    flipper

STUCKINAMOVEMENT- Good points. One thing you might be able to do is try to see if you can contact some of your old buddies, JW or non-JW from when you were young and re-connect in a friendship with them. Just explain you finally researched you were in a mind control cult- and I guarantee you those friends will accept you back with open arms.

I did that the last 2 years and have rekindled 2 great friendships back again with a childhood friend I went to High School with, and a guy I pioneered with he & his wife and me and my 1st wife from the early 1980's who exited the cult himself in 1990. Our friendship has rekindled so well- it's like we never missed a step. You will find ex-Witnesses and non-Witnesses to be a lot more unconditional in their understanding of where you are in life and the hard road you've had to travel. I would recommend reaching out to THOSE kind of friends

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit