The Zeitgeist Movement

by losthobbit 26 Replies latest jw friends

• losthobbit
    losthobbit

Just wondering if anyone here is a supporter of the Zeitgeist Movement? It's not a religion, and it's not Zeitgeist: The Movie. It's a group of people who want to eliminate the world's biggest problems by removing their root cause. I'm curious because I think there are a lot of independent thinkers on this forum, who would probably be interested in supporting it. Any thoughts?

Here's their mission statement:

MISSION STATEMENT [Updated April 24th '11]

Founded in 2008, The Zeitgeist Movement is a Sustainability Advocacy Organization which conducts community based activism and awareness actions through a network of Global/Regional Chapters, Project Teams, Annual Events, Media and Charity Work.

The Movement's principle focus includes the recognition that the majority of the social problems which plague the human species at this time are not the sole result of some institutional corruption, scarcity, a political policy, a flaw of "human nature" or other commonly held assumptions of causality in the activist community. Rather, The Movement recognizes that issues such as poverty, corruption, collapse, homelessness, war, starvation and the like appear to be "Symptoms" born out of an outdated social structure.

While intermediate Reform steps and temporal Community Support are of interest to The Movement, the defining goal here is the installation of a new socioeconomic model based upon technically responsible Resource Management, Allocation and Distribution through what would be considered The Scientific Method of reasoning problems and finding optimized solutions.

This "Resource-Based Economic Model” is about taking a direct technical approach to social management as opposed to a Monetary or even Political one. It is about updating the workings of society to the most advanced and proven methods Science has to offer, leaving behind the damaging consequences and limiting inhibitions which are generated by our current system of monetary exchange, profits, corporations and other structural and motivational components.

The Movement is loyal to a train of thought, not figures or institutions. In other words, the view held is that through the use of socially targeted research and tested understandings in Science and Technology, we are now able to logically arrive at societal applications which could be profoundly more effective in meeting the needs of the human population. In fact, so much so, that there is little reason to assume war, poverty, most crimes and many other money-based scarcity effects common in our current model cannot be resolved over time.

The range of The Movement's Activism & Awareness Campaigns extend from short to long term. The long term view, which is the transition into a Resource-Based Economic Model, is a constant pursuit and expression, as stated before. However, in the path to get there, The Movement also recognizes the need for transitional Reform techniques, along with direct Community Support.

For instance, while "Monetary Reform" itself is not an end solution proposed by The Movement, the merit of such legislative approaches are still considered valid in the context of transition and temporal integrity. Likewise, while food and clothes drives and other supportive projects to help those in need today is also not considered a long term solution, it is still considered valid in the context of helping others in a time of need, while also drawing awareness to the principle goal.

The Zeitgeist Movement also has no allegiance to a country or traditional political platforms. It views the world as a single system and the human species as a single family and recognizes that all countries must disarm and learn to share resources and ideas if we expect to survive in the long run. Hence, the solutions arrived at and promoted are in the interest to help everyone on the planet Earth, not a select group.

• outlawwilly
    outlawwilly

I just know that this group or whatever it is, spams the hell out of Toronto with their rhetorical pasted posters all over the public spaces. (one of my BIGGESt peeves,ever ) That in itself makes me discount the group or idea entirely.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

One "exclusively-enlightened" cult of misinformation at a time, please.

• Satanus
    Satanus

losthobbit

Could you describe in two sentences what they have pinpointed as the root cause of problems, and also the main action they propose to solve it? I couldn't seem to put my finger on those things in the article. Thanks.

S

• losthobbit
    losthobbit

To answer Satanus' question:

The root causes of war, most crime, poverty, forced labour (required stressful work), pollution and waste of resources are: the current money system, hundreds of separate countries each working toward their own goals, and too many decisions based on prejudices and beliefs, rather than using the scientific method (testing).

How they propose to solve these problems: the ultimate goal is to have a system in place which replaces the current system. The new system will be something like The Venus Project (Not something I can explain in one sentence... see www.thevenusproject.com). At the moment the Zeitgeist Movement is focused on learning, education and growing. Over the past three years the Zeigeist Movement has grown to about 500,000 members, but Peter Joseph (the founder), does not believe we can change the world until we have the support of about 100 million people (about a seventieth of the world).

In other words, they have a very clearly defined goal, which is continually being refined, but are not entirely sure about how they will get there, or how long it will take. I like to relate their ideas to Thomas Edison, the inventor of the light bulb. He invented hundreds of light bulbs that didn't work... he didn't know how to make a light bulb, but kept trying, knowing what his ultimate goal was.

OutlawWilly, one of my biggest peeves was the number of people who were murdered in my neighbourhood, making me move to a safer country. You must live a fantastically sheltered life, if one of your biggest peeves is posters.

• losthobbit
    losthobbit

20571pnt428571, I didn't understand everything you said. You used big words, and long sentences. I found it strange that you mentioned the NWO, at the end of your post. I don't know what "NWO diffusion device, and globalist profiler 'fly strip' for future 'filtration'" means, but the New World Order is just a conspiracy theory which has been applied to everyone from aliens to the UN over many decades. I don't know how anyone can take the conspiracy theory seriously anymore.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

LostHobbit, you clearly stated that you're talking about the movement, NOT the movie, then 20571pnt428571 addressed the movie, not the movement, in his post. I wouldn't worry about what he said; he's on a different topic.

The movement sounds good to me, but as a former cult member there are a couple things that raise my caution flags:

1. The founder seems to be the leader

2. The phrase, "the new system"

I'll certainly do some further googling, though. Thanks for the topic.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

They have made 3 movies so far, I really enjoyed most of movie 2, movie 1 I didn't buy into all this jesus as being part of the zodiac stuff but the rest was good, weird but I dont remember much of 3 but sounded a lot like 2.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

This thread is not about a movie.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Ok, having read the mission statement I still don't knwo what they are about and what their goals are and how the are going about doing them.

Can someone please clear that up for me?

I read the issues that they have but don't see anywhere the solutions they advocate...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit