Did therapy help you?

by gutted 19 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Next to getting out of the cult and meeting my dear husband, therapy was the best thing that ever happened to me!

• mamalove
    mamalove

Yes, it was helpful to talk to a professional who put words on my feelings and helped put things on perspective. It further cemented I was doing the right thing. It helped my daughter also. We are all doing great.

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

No, but it did made my mom cheat on my dad- with the family therapist :p.

Seriously, that did happen (I'm sure it's still going on- my mom's a cold hearted bitch who didn't want to leave my dad who spoils her), but before that dick, we had other therapists. And they did help. A LOT. I don't like taking medication, but luckily, just being able to pour my heart out helps in a big way.

I'm sure it would help you, and trust me, it is a decision that will change your outlook toward certain things :)> Hoping the best for you!

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

Psychotherapy (stereotypical "talk" therapy) didn't help me at all. Cognitive-behavioral therapy saved my life.

• Glander
    Glander

Gutted -Frankly, it sounds as though you have taken the first steps in "self-therapy" (the best kind). Self talk, whether negative or positive is the key. Some refer to it as 'prayer'. A therapist gives you a warm body to pour it all out upon, but the ultimate solution is within you.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Yes indeed. I went from pretty normal into full blown anxiety in a split second . . . had no idea what was happening.

It precipitated a long journey of recovery . . . the works.

One very positive aspect was hooking up with a psychologist for six months. We had many very in-depth discussions on brain chemistry, how imbalanced chemistry typically manifested itself and relaxation techniques. I believe, looking back, it was the knowledge he imparted that empowered me to recover. This guy new his stuff . . . used hand drawn graphic illustrations, graphs etc. Also reference books, to answer every question I had . . . and plenty I hadn't even thought of.

During that time we actually became very good friends . . . he embraced me on my last visit. It couldn't have been a better or more valuable experience for me. But I guess it may depend on who you get . . . you might have to try more than one before you connect with one who fills your need.

• talesin
    talesin

If it wasn't for (15 years of) therapy, I don't think I would be around. But my issues are were many and varied, and include far more than the JWS. Some folks have just a few sessions, and BAM, they're on the right track.

One word of advice -- there are good and bad therapists, just like any other profession. How can you tell?

Get references for someone reputable.

Look online to find a list of questions to ask when interviewing the therapist. The first session should be just that - an interview - they are a service provider, and you are paying them. It's your dime.

Just because someone hangs out a shingle, doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

Many therapists specialize - what specifically do you need help with? Exit from the cult? Abuse issues? General anxiety and depression? You get my drift, and your GP can be a good resource - talk to her/him about your issues and ask if (s)he knows any good therapists.

Be careful with Psychiatrists - many of them like to medicate, instead of addressing the underlying issues.

There many any different types of therapy -- straight 'talk' therapy,,, cognitive behavioural therapy (think Dr. Phil - just DO IT),,, neuralistic programming (NLP),,, hypnosis (both self - which is great for relaxation, and therapist-directed),,, freudian,,, jungian (sp?),,, etc. Many top therapists use a variety of methods to help folks.

Sometimes the best thing about therapy (talk) is that you get to 'blow off steam' and have someone listen with an objective ear - that person is paid to focus on YOU, and you alone. Their advice should be unbiased, and without a personal agenda.

Most important of all,,, if you don't feel comfortable with this person, if they try to push you too fast, or tell you how you are feeling, run for the hills - listen to your gut, always.

I see a therapist in this way .... you are wandering through a dark forest - the therapist is like a guide,,, shining a light on the path, so you can find YOUR OWN way.

t

*no longer needs therapy* klass

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I have been going for over 8 months now, and it has helped me a lot. Make sure that you find someone who you are comfortable with, because you will be exposing all of yourself emotionally to them. It is not uncommon to go through a few different ones until you find one that you are comfortable enough with to open up. I think that is the most important thing when finding one. Good luck!

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) is amazing. It doesn't send you off to your distant past/relationship with your father/mother/great uncle etc. but give you a handle on how to control your thinking process. I was truly amazed at how easily it rid me of behaviours that had previously blighted my life.

Everyone is different but I would say that some pits are just too difficult to get out of on your own, you need a rope. Just make sure you get a good one.

The very best of luck. You are worth it!

• chickpea
    chickpea

helped then and continues to help as
    i came away with a set of "tools" which
    i continue to apply to situations in order
    to avoid a return to the behaviours that
    led to the issues in the first place!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit