Stop and consider God

by StopTheTears 16 Replies latest jw friends

• StopTheTears
    StopTheTears

Is there really a God? Is there really a Divine Creator or did the universe around us just "evolve?" What an incredible thought to even imagine that there could be a supernatural being so powerful as to create a universe. Wow! Now that's a scary thought! Do I really have to stand in judgment before this Creator? I'm scared to even think about it, what would I say? What manner of being could create a world?

Then again, what if there is no God? Could the universe surrounding us have just "happened?" Could it be that all of the planets are aligned in perfect balance just by chance? Could it be that the sun is a perfect distance from the earth by chance? The planet Mercury's hot side reaches a scorching 800 degrees Fahrenheit. Yet the planet Pluto is so cold that it has an atmosphere composed of gel.

Then again, what if there is no God? Could the universe surrounding us have just "happened?" Could it be that all of the planets are aligned in perfect balance just by chance? Could it be that the sun is a perfect distance from the earth by chance? The planet Mercury's hot side reaches a scorching 800 degrees Fahrenheit. Yet the planet Pluto is so cold that it has an atmosphere composed of gel.

Even if we try to imagine there is no God, the universe around us is a constant testimony of God's presence, power and goodness. There must be a God.

I have a question for you...How big is the universe? Can the universe have an end? Is this possible according to the laws of science? Some people say that the universe is expanding. The Bible teaches that the universe is a fixed size. Psalm 147:4 reveals that God "...telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names." There is a certain number of stars and only God knows EXACTLY how many there are. As a matter of fact, God has named every one of them.

• godrulz
    godrulz

Yes, there is a God, so atheists are wrong. Now, we must worship Him in spirit and in truth (Jn. 4:24). Christianity is unique among religions because we claim that Jesus is God with a face, the God-Man, risen from the dead. Generic god, generic jesus would be an idol in comparison to the Living God of Scripture revealed in creation, Word, Christ. We need to move from atheism to theism to Christianity.

• trevor
    trevor

Rather than ask - is there a god? I ask, is there god? Is the universe aware of itself? If so, what would we call that quality of awareness that is part of the universe itself? God will do as a word but it is a word that has been abused.

If this awareness exists, it may have come out of the universe and its development rather that being an awareness that has created out of nothing and imposed itself.

• 3Mozzies
  • bohm
    bohm

oh man. you will just keep writing the same crap every week from now on right?

• cofty
    cofty

StopTheTears is your post a parody? Please tell me it is.

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

Yes of course it's a good idea to believe in a fairytale of a thousands of years old goatherding tribe about a superbeing who waves the universe into existence with his magic wand. That's much better than trying to build up a worldview based on actual reality. And instead of looking and thinking about the things we find around us, it's much better to believe in this divine entity who made everything juuust right. I mean who wants to look at nature without prejudice? That's no fun.

The earth is such a fantastic place! It's so clear that there must be a God who designed this inviting, welcoming planet. I mean, who doesn't want to live on a thin wafer of rock on a giant hot ball of lava, where earthquakes and volcanic eruptions can happen at anytime. Yes the loving Jehovah provided us with a gigantic mass of water to drown in, should we ever feel the need. Most of the earth is covered in water, where we can't live at all, but at least we can swim in it! And who doesn't love swimming? And even if we don't want to drown, the multitude of cyclones, hurricanes and tsunami's can visit this exciting experience on us when we least expect it. We're so lucky with the large amounts of hostile territory where man can barely survive. I mean who doesn't want to camp out in the Sahara, or have a nice picknick on the north pole, or build a lovely little cabin somewhere in the himalayas?

And we are also extremely happy with all of the great diseases floating around in our ecosystem. Thanks God! I mean, if all those millions of african children wouldn't be able to die from malaria, who else was going to kill them? Can you imagine God and his masterworker, Jesus, carefully designing the mucus glands of the mosquito in just such a manner that it has the highest change of transmitting this fantastically successful disease? Surely this must be a clear sign of design. Nobody in their right mind would think this could come into existence by mere chance!

Those archeologists and evolutionary biologists are so dumb. I mean imagine that you would find a watch next to a watch factory. Would you think that this watch was made in that factory? Or would you believe that a superpowerful wizard came along, and cast a wondrous spell to create this watch?

We are so lucky to be on this one, unique perfect little planet. I mean, there are only 50 billion other planets who are comparable to earth's size and distance from their host star and chemical makeup. So it's not like there is a wide range of habitable planets to choose from! Am I right guys?

• mindseye
    mindseye

Could everything have just happened? Creationists love to point out the improbability of everything, without acknowledging the possibility. Such as, among the billions of planets in our galaxy, it is possible that at least one could have the ideal properties to produce life.

Does God exist? We have no way of knowing for sure of an 'mechanic' God. The common argument is that there appears to be beautiful 'order' and 'design' to everything. But that says more about our perspective than reality. Long ago ancient people blamed the gods for the weather and rock formations, but now we know that natural processes cause these things. Likewise, many today see the complexity of nature as God's order, but science can explain this complexity (evolution, which is well proven).

So does God exist? Well, depends on our definition of God. Who's to say that God is our general conception of God? Most westerners equate God with the bronze age deity of the Old Testament. Such a God would be a simplistic reduction, in my view.

Carl Jung often talked about God as our consciousness. Somewhere in our evolution we developed this awareness, could this be God? Fundamentalists may believe that this takes away from the idea of God, because it is not some anthropomorphic external daddy in the sky. I think quite the opposite, it gives us a more mature conception of God. A God that evolves. And God does evolve. We can even see this in the Bible, between the Old and New Testaments.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

classic

• outlawwilly
    outlawwilly

Since you theists seem to need a more simple form of talking to, because for some reason simple logic, actual proofs, and common sense eludes you, I present the following dumbed down infographic:

here. Now go slow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit