Uganda "Kill the Gays" bill could be passed in 72 hours...Sign the Petition

by unshackled 30 Replies latest social current

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

You do know online petitions don't do anything right?

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

Touche Mr. Freeze, Touche.

• unshackled
    unshackled
    Who is this organization? I signed using my spam email account, but I've never heard of them.

Hadn't heard of them either, Clarinetist. Was alerted to this by a Stephen Fry tweet. Smart using a spam email...I do the same.

This is from the 'About' on that site:

Established by former leaders and founders of some of the world’s most successful movement building organizations, All Out will add global people power to the historic fight for LGBT equality. All Out will rapidly respond to moments of crisis and opportunity, so governments, corporations and other institutions with the power to change the lives of LGBT people hear us - in huge numbers. We'll also work to change our families and communities so that LGBT people win not just rights but also come to feel truly embraced wherever they are.

All Out is a project of the Purpose Foundation, a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization committed to building movements to address some of the world's most urgent problems. All Out was co-founded by Jeremy Heimans, co-founder of Purpose, and co-founder of Avaaz.org and GetUp.org. All Out co-founder Andre Banks is the Director of Strategy at Purpose and was the former deputy director of ColorofChange.org. All Out is supported by a wonderful group of advisors and activists from around the world.

• unshackled
    unshackled
    You do know online petitions don't do anything right?

Maybe, maybe not, Freeze. Here in Canada (yes, very much not Uganda) I do know online petitions played a big role in stunting Usage Based Billing for Internet service by ISPs. As well in British Columbia with sending Harmonized Sales Tax to a referendum AFTER the provincial gov't implemented it.

Regardless...the one thing guaranteed to do nothing, is doing nothing. As Pams girl said...the petition only takes a minute.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Has Amnesty International called for this action? I was present when the Nobel prize winners discussed two countries where letters from the West would only inflame a situation: Uganda and Albania. This was years ago so it may have changed.

I would suggest donating money to a Uganda org fighting within that is not corrupt. Imagine being gay and stuck in Uganda. it must be absolutely terrifying.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

Yes.

Hope this will help in some small way to promote human rights.

Maybe this should be another thread, but the word you used, barbaric, reminded me of the movie 'The Stoning of Soraya'

Very, very barbaric!!

• shepherd
    shepherd

As far as I know it's not a major oil producing country....so don't expect the world to be all that interested, unfortunately.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Done !

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

http://richarddawkins.net/articles/625315-48-hours-to-stop-uganda-s-gay-death-penalty-please-sign-the-petition

Apparently a similar petition last year successfully stopped this law from going through.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Interesting...thanks for that link Amelia.

BOTR...you wondered about Amnesty Int...found this on their site, posted today:
    http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/info/AFR59/009/2011/en

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit