My Strange Event: is THIS what some might call a "religious" experience?

by unshackled 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• unshackled
    unshackled

Okay, you're probably wondering what the hell this funky little astronaut has to do with this. I'll get to it.

First a quick setup…

Like most on here I'm sure we're all aware of the struggle to rid ourselves of our JW programming. Top of my mind lately is realizing I'm not living my life. It is quickly passing me by day-by-day and I'm not getting the most out of it. Feel like I'm in a rut on a lot of levels and my life is wasting away. I'm struggling with the Magic-Carpet-Ride-to-Paradise mindset. It's frustrating.

Okay, so next. The other day I started a thread about a man who died of cancer on Tuesday night. He had prepared his final blog post in advance, and a friend posted it the next morning after his passing. Some of you read it, if you haven't I suggest giving it a read…

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/209908/1/This-stopped-me-in-my-tracks-Sad-but-inspiring-please-read

This blog and story had a profound affect on me. It REALLY hit me. Rattled my soul, shook my boots, woke me up. It was on my mind all day long at work. Told myself this is what I needed, a wake up call. I felt inspired to start taking control of my life. The boost I was looking for.

So what does this little astronaut have to do with this? I've had that little guy in my truck for about 5 years. Found it on the ground beside my truck outside my girlfriend's apartment one day. (She is now my wife..married last summer) I call him Armstrong and he has sat in that little coin box for the past 5 years. He lays in there and fits just nicely. Kinda hard to get him out with my stubby fingers.

The astronaut moment…

I left work that day feeling invigorated. Slowly walked to my truck, looking out into the Pacific Ocean, sun shining on my face. I felt great…better than I had in a while. Jump in the truck…look down and just stared. The pic above is what I saw. Armstrong was standing! I looked around, not sure what I was looking for but maybe for the person that did this. Of course there wasn't anyone. Just me in an empty parking lot.

My truck was locked. My wife would be the only one knowing where to find a key. But she was at work all day. It stunned me. How the hell did that happen? Is it a sign?

After snapping that pic, I left him standing there. Put the truck in reverse and as soon as the truck started to roll he fell over. He doesn't stand very well…little tricky to get him to do it.

So what's my point?

Do I think it was a religious experience…perhaps supernatural…a sign? No, I don't. Occam's Razor says driving to work the physics were just right to make him stand up upon parking. Or someone did it, but I eliminated that. No one did. Coincidental moment? I believe so. (Besides, why would god or whoever use a goofy kid's toy to send me a message?)

But I think I now see how some take could take such moments as religious or supernatural. Especially in moments of emotional clarity…when you're feeling like your life has taken a turn. I did feel more susceptible to want to believe it was a sign from "beyond". It was tempting but I didn't conclude such.

That said…since that day I've kept an eye on that little bugger. I've taken corners fast, slammed on the brakes, driven on gravel roads. He doesn't move much, if at all. It was a perfect storm of physics when he stood I up, I guess.

What say you? Random coincidence? Or...? Thanks for reading.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

It's a sign if you want it to be. Why not. He gained freedom and now has the ability to move and yes fall but he is FREE. So are you! live life to the full!

I had a moment that I choose to believe was some type of intervention. I moved away a few years ago and decided to take 2 week off from the KH before I would find it and would start to go back. When the two weeks were up I could not find it. Every meeting I got ready to go and would get directions but just could not find it. I stopped trying. A few months later I saw it. It was on the road I used every day. As clear as it could be! Never went back!

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Interesting...

I worked with an engineer who was incredibly smart and talented but who once unleash a barrage of swear words when he couldn't find his hard hat.... and only calmed down once we told him it was on his head the whole time. The reason I mention this is because I've noticed that I'll do things thoughtlessly while on the phone or in deep thought and then quickly forget where I put whatever I was holding. When I find it, it'll be some place I'd never have guessed.

Of course I have no idea how this happened in your case but, knowing myself, I'd have to wonder if I hadn't done it myself while in deep thought before I got out. That may be ridiculous in your case, though.

• The Finger
    The Finger

One morning I was cooking breakfast before anyone was up and i went through to the other room to put the computer on. It was already on. I must have plugged it in and logged on. No recollection of doing any of it. (Got alot on my mind and i'm getting old.)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

No matter how difficult it is to prop him up and no matter how difficult it is for him to balance, sometimes difficult things happen and sometimes grand coincidences happen. Perhaps just the right motions put him in a position to slightly bump forward after leaning on the edge of the cup when you got out and closed the door.

I have heard plenty of anectodal evidence, much of it from platforms, as to why Jehovah is the true God who answers prayers. At least in those situations, there's something to be gained by believing coincidences and difficult-to-explain things. Still, they are not what the believers believe.

Pretty good analogy. If I want a sign, I hope it's much clearer than a toy balanced in some odd way. I mean, if I had been praying over the last week, I've had emails telling me how I won the UK Lottery, the Irish Sweepstakes, and how some woman in Belgium wants to pay me hundreds of thousands of dollars to hold her money in my bank account so she doesn't have to split it with her abusive exhusband. Talk about signs.

• journey-on
    journey-on

You found the astronaut on the ground five years ago. You kept him. He evidently has personal meaning for you. He laid flat in your coin box all this time. Something on this JWN board caused an emotional/spiritual wave in your psyche....a vibration was set in motion. You return to your car and your attention is focused on this astronaut. He is no longer on the ground. He is no longer laying flat in your coin box. He is standing up and ready.

Symbol meaning of astronomer or astronaut-----the question to ask: "Is this the time to reach for the stars and strive to reach my goals and ambitions?

Synchronicity never works alone. It works WITH you to create a moment.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I sleep walk and do things like post on facebook.... I say some strange things... and don't remember a things. not really your topic except our sub conscience is strong. but i like to think it's a sign! if I was a JW i would say it's demonic and burn it 1st thing

• unshackled
    unshackled

Found Sheep: Good story. Could've been an intervention, or maybe your subconscious NOT wanting to find the KH. Nonetheless, an interesting turn of events to finally end ties with the Org. Congrats.

Cheez: I know what you're saying, and considered that too. It is a possibility, can't be ruled out. But I don't think so in this case. I'm notoriously always running late. Every morning it's a race to work, rush in the parking lot and jump out quickly. That morning was no different, there was no time to sit and ponder while fiddling with the astronaut.

Finger: I too do that kind of stuff. Tend to think too much and get lost in my head. For the reason above though, that morning wasn't like that.

OTWO: Agreed...that was my conclusion too. A perfect storm of physics to stand him up.

What I took away from the moment was realizing how easy it is to jump to conclusions. And many would have. It didn't last long, but for a few moments I entertained it. Did the now deceased writer of that blog reach out to me from beyond because it touched me so? Then I dismissed it...of course not silly. Logic dictates that one of three things happened: I did it and didn't remember; someone else did it; or it happened by freak moment of physics.

I got a kick out of it. Really, what are the odds of that? The fact that it did happen on that day is cool in itself. Don't need to add anything more to it.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

That's a fine piece of astronaut plastic you've got there darlin.

My guess is that you lightly snagged it with your sleeve or something when you got out of the truck but yeah - I do know what you mean about entertaining fanciful thoughts, even for a few minutes.

• journey-on
    journey-on

You will always remember it. You and synchronicity created a moment that you gave meaning to. 20 years from now, you will be buying a toy astronaut for your grandkid, and you will remember this experience.

It REALLY hit me. Rattled my soul, shook my boots, woke me up. It was on my mind all day long at work. Told myself this is what I needed, a wake up call. I felt inspired to start taking control of my life. The boost I was looking for.
    Jump in the truck…look down and just stared. The pic above is what I saw. Armstrong was standing! I looked around, not sure what I was looking for

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit