How the Watchtower corporation really works (beginning to end)

by Terry 31 Replies latest jw friends

• agent zero
    agent zero

great post, bookmarking this keeper

• agent zero
    agent zero
    It is a kind of self-fashioned paradox that the Watchtower claims to be heralding an important and urgent message and yet demonstrates an absolute horror of making that message public effectively by using the best technology available.

i was just commenting about that on a different thread, but that paradox was actually somewhat of a "stumbling block" for me while still in.

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

wow great thread terry...maybe you could do a part 2 and include some of the modern day "new lights" ?

• Terry
    Terry

wow great thread terry...maybe you could do a part 2 and include some of the modern day "new lights" ?

I've had a really BOLD idea for awhile.

The real problem is making it easy to read.

This is like writing a history of the Borgias! The intrigues, dates, machinations and in's and out's are pretty tangled.

I hate writing a gigantic block of Blah blah blah.

Probably, the very people who might most benefit from reading such a thing are one's who'd be put off by the magnitude of text.

Recently I endeavored to write on the transition from Judaism as an oppressed minorty fighting for Freedom of religion to a sudden overlord persecutor of its own people during the Macabees and how that point in history (102 years) is not only virtually unknown to most Christians (because those previously canonical books were removed by Protestants) but taught with vagueness and muddied context. So, I injected a gimmick into the plot with Vampires in the Church as the titillating title.

I got very little notice of it and I'd say it failed.

So, I need to discover a way of writing articles that are interesting, compelling, informative and revelatory that WORK in effecting an impact on the readers.

That's the story, morning glory; that's the word hummingbird.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

How the Watchtower corporation really works (beginning to end)

This publishing house lures people by selling maleficence of reality as a means to create public emotional appeal

to support the proliferation of its published works for exploiting individuals to whom they have lured toward the organization.

• cofty
    cofty

Excellent post Terry, thanks.

I remember reading quite a few of Rutherford's books it was a real eye-opener. In at least one of them he ranted on with great vitriol against "elective elders". It appears quite a few local bodies of elders hung out for a while against his attempts to control them. All sorts of OT prophecies were pressed into service to liken these elders to various unsavoury OT characters.

Wasn't there a legal loophole he used to remove opposers at bethel?

I find your analysis of the financial motivation for the borg's strategy to be really interesting. Is it about money or is it power, control and egos? I suppose they are inseperable.

• Terry
    Terry

Like Pastor Russell, the elders in congregations following Watchtower speculations were autonomous and independant.

They were in a position to speak freely in challenging Rutherford's nonsense.

The Judge set about silencing them by a serious of articles framing them as evil opposers.

Independant thought was snuffed out and Judge Rutherford's animadversions became THE TRUTH.

The only reason Rutherford strung the bible students along by appearing to be "led" by Russell in the heavenly resurrected realm was

to consolidate his position. When that was accomplished, it was BOOM! Russell was tossed in the trash bin.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

You could say Rutherford turned the WTS. into a strident dictatorship with himself acting as the strong armed dictator/ruler.

In realizing how weakly structured the WTS, laid most of its foundational doctrines such as the concept of Pyramidology.

Rutherford was pretty much persuaded to turn the organization is this direction. Still intent in holding on to the 1914 doctrine mind you

for its usefulness in creating alluring appeal to his own published works and supporting the WTS. in general.

• cofty
    cofty

When that was accomplished, it was BOOM! Russell was tossed in the trash bin.

Yes, when I read Rutherford's books there was a very notable change in style from sycophantic praise of Russell to barely concealed contempt.

• Paulapollos
    Paulapollos

Excellent post Terry. Your point about free labour is well-made. I often wonder if the WTBTS is even aware of the true nature of their organisation - in other words, is the corporatism of the Society simply an unintended outgrowth of American capitialism, the cultural milieu that the GB have grown up in - or was it a conscious choice?

I say this because, as has been said before, the organisation is a superb profit-making machine. Every single corporation would kill to have the type of bottom-line profit that the organisation has. Nominal "wage" costs, minimal maintenance of plant costs, favorable tax rates due to charity status, freedom from employment law in certain important jurisdictions - there is virtually no end to the superb conditions the WT "trades" in. I'm not sure if these developments were deliberate, in the sense that the WTBTS leaders set out to make financial gain - it would seem to me that the US constitution made religion free enterprise, and because religion is such an infective and persuasive idea, the conditions were ripe for cults like the WTBTS to simply take advantage.

PP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit